“Small rooms, high prices, rude management, worst experience ever” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Continental Inn

Continental Inn
Ranked #28 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reno, Nevada
“Small rooms, high prices, rude management, worst experience ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We called and were quoted a price and made a reservation for a pet friendly room for one night. When we got there no one was at the check in desk. We rang the door buzzer a few times and after about 5 or 10 min. someone stuck their head through a door an said that they would be with us in a few min. The desk clerk asked us if we had a pet. I told him that the reservation we made was for a pet friendly room. He then told us we would have to pay $30 more for the pet. I said the price I was quoted was for a pet friendly room. He said I should have called the motel and not expedia. I told him I had made the reservation through the number on the motels web site not expedia. I was told that no matter what I was had been told on the phone I would have to pay $30 more. I said I would let my dog stay in our car. I was told If we did he would call the police and report me. So we paid the $30 extra. The room was the smallest I have ever stayed in. It had been remodeled but the furniture was old and beat up. The continental breakfast was minimal and the orange juice machine was out of order. The motel is a very long walk to the beach and this room cost over $185 for the one night we stayed. We will never be back and I would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: get a room away from highway
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Darla C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Very up to date if you choose to upgrade. The guy in the front gave us a little bit of a rough time with our check in, but he knew Santa Cruz well and gave us good places to eat. I wouldn't travel back to Santa Cruz to vacation, but I would stay here again if I was traveling through.

• Stayed May 2014
Washington, Utah
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

Four of us stayed here on 16 & 17 Apr 2014. It is a conveniently located motel with nearby access to the 101 Freeway, the Beach, the Boardwalk and the Downtown Area. It is pretty much just an average motel with average-size rooms and small bathrooms. If one is looking for upscale lodging, this is not the place to look.

The beds are not quite as comfortable as the newer pillow-top mattresses that are becoming more common in a number of motels, but are not uncomfortable. However, the motel is quiet and quite clean with easy parking access/egress, and the staff is personable and helpful. The value of the lodging for the price in the Santa Cruz Area is quite favorable when compared to other like-quality lodging options.

It suited our needs well for a 2-night stay, and I would definitely stay here again for a similar visit to Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are quite similar. Hence, it just becomes a matter of individual preference in sele...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Allen H
Port Orchard, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

Very clean rooms. Nice to have laminate floors instead of dirty carpeting. Housekeeping was excellent. Free breakfast was more than adequate. Easy and friendly check in. Somewhat noisy street, but would stay here again for sure

• Stayed March 2014
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

This hotel is very well located (walking distance to Santa Cruz's boardwalk), the staff was very nice to us and the room, even if a bit small, is nice. The only negative point that affected our stay is that the small fridge in our room was making noise randomly in the night... loud enough to wake us up! It was not all the time, it would often happen every 30-40 minutes... Quite annoying! Apart from that, everything was good.

Room Tip: Our room was #236 and the fridge was vert noisy!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cynthia T
Carmichael, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

We had a wonderful stay in Santa Cruz.fairly accommodating although a room we were supposed to get for an extra family member was given to people with a dog because we were told bottom floor had to be given to them first .A little put off by this considering there were dogs on the second floor.the rooms were clean and staff friendly

• Stayed February 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

The rooms are adorable. They have a tropical theme to them. The price was perfect and the rooms were spacious. The man who was working while we were there (seemed like he never left!) was super friendly and accomodating. I work at a hotel myself, and I will tell you that is what I value most. Our room had a fridge, microwave, and a Single-cup coffee maker. That is rare to have all 3 in a standard room. Finally, the location was excellent! Super short walk to the downtown area & Boardwalk. I Highly reccommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: I'm not sure if this matters, but it looks like there are two separate buildings for the hotel...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends