Continental Inn
Mission Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$165
Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$150
ComfortInn
Hilton Santa Cruz / Scotts Valley(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$216
US$188
Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$230
US$190
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$148
  • Breakfast included
Best Western Plus All Suites Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$155
US$141
Quality Inn(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$132
Chaminade Resort & Spa(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$246
US$165
Agoda.com
Dream Inn(Santa Cruz)
US$586
US$455
  • Pool
Beach Street Inn and Suites(Santa Cruz)(Great Value!)
US$332
All reviewshot tubhardwood floorsannex buildingclean roomskeurig coffee makercheck in was quickother hotelswalking distance to the boardwalknight staya wonderful stayqueen bedhome away from homenon smokingclose to downtownnice roomocean streetconvenient location
Reviewed 30 July 2010

The rooms were nicely decorated and the staff were friendly. Breakfast was decent, but not great. Beyond that, I can't believe I spent $150 on a redecorated Travel Lodge style motel. I priced B&B in the surrounding area for about the same price and will definitely be staying in one next time (booked too late to find a vacancy at one this time). Down sides: tiny room (though well decorated), light glared in around the edges of the blinds all night, outside access to rooms means people walking past our window into the wee hours of the morning, extremely squeaky spring mattress (enough said?), and there was a hot tub in the parking lot -no secure keyed entry, so transients that frequent that part of town can join you for a soak. Pool was across the busy Oceans street. No option to view movies, only HBO.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2010

I work for an internet review site so you can be sure I spent hours upon hours researching hotels in Santa Cruz. I was planning a weekend getaway for my friends and myself for my birthday. I was paying for the room so everyone could come- I wanted something that was nice without totally breaking the bank.
Most of the other reputable hotels in the area had 2 night minimums- I was SO glad to find a nice hotel that didn't! It was a leisurely 10-15 minute walk to the beach and was a great way to see more of the town. It also made us realize how much safer the area we were in was than that by the beach!
We got in early and our room was not clean. They offered to put us in a clean room immediately (2 hours before check in time) but it wouldn't have been a "Boutique" room so we decided to wait (and it was only half an hour!). They gave us the keys too, so we went and had lunch and came back to a BEAUTIFUL room!
The room had beautiful wood floors and wood beds along with tasteful decorations and nice rugs. The bathroom also had granite and a make-up mirror which was a nice touch. The microwave and refrigerator also came in handy!
We walked to and from the beach and it was a nice stroll. We also walked to lunch at the "Santa Cruz Diner" (recommended if you want the local feel). For dinner we did the Itialian place kitty corner to the hotel. It turned out fantastically as they were hosting a graduation party equipped with disco lights and blasting music! It made for a great celebration of my birthday.
Parking was convenient and there was both a pool and hot tub at the hotel. There were both families and young people staying there so it is really suitable for everyone. I highly recommend the Boutique Rooms! They come with wood floors, nice furniture and classy decor. These rooms truly do NOT feel like a hotel!
At one point my friends and I set off the fire alarms from the candles on my cupcakes (apparently I'm getting old!) but we were pleasantly surprised that we were able to fan the smoke out and turn the alarms off without any issue with hotel staff.
I could not have been more pleased with my experience at the Continental Inn. It was extremely clean, nicer than most upscale hotels I've stayed in (and I stayed at Shangri-Las growing up in Asia). It truly was a 5 star value.
For everyone who is thinking of staying right near the boardwalk- BEWARE! That area is TRULY shady. My friends and I are in our mid 20s and we were appalled by the clientele as we passed by such motels. You're much better off taking a leisurely stroll to the beach and avoiding all the weirdos at night! We felt much safer with our belongings and cars away from that area.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2010

My husband and I recently spent most of a week at the Continental Inn. I had researched our trip fully and had finally decided that we would stay at that motel. We reserved the Queen Deluxe, aka a "Boutique Room". The photos are lovely. However, when I first entered the room I was rather dismayed at the tiny size of the room. The furniture is lovely, the laminate hardwoods are very nicely done and add a lovely touch to the room. The granite shower and counter in the bathroom was also a nice addition. But, the room was very small, especially for a several night's stay.
Several things on the down side, besides the size of the room, were the outside lights which did, indeed, keep the room rather too well lit at night. The blinds add a nice decorative touch to the room, but don't block the light much. We found the bed to be quite comfortable, though the pillows were lumpy! The sheets needed to be either fitted or larger, as they would not stay tucked in and we became tangled up in them by morning! When we were there, there were one or more homeless people camping out in a van in the back corner of an adjacent parking lot which we walked by and viewed each time we walked back and forth to our room or the car, and since we were on the second floor we had quite the view, not to mention the earful. To their credit, the manager did put us in a room in the center so we didn't have traffic going by our room. Another thing was the too-late knowledge that the motel is actually split in two buildings on either side of a busy street, with the pool being at the "other" building (where parking appears to be at a premium). We did enjoy the hot tub at the building we were staying at. Parking was plentiful and easy at that building, as well. Breakfast was in a nicely decorated room and was never busy. What we ate was good, but the selection wasn't great the first day and went downhill from there.
On the very good side, the motel is easy to find and its not difficult to get anywhere from there. The manager and staff were very kind and friendly. The grounds and hanging baskets are beautifully done and well maintained. The cleanliness was impressive. I'm rather picky when it comes to this, and other than some dirty smudges on walls, I have no complaint. Compared to many other hotels in the town, I think we got a good deal at $95. I made our reservations directly with the motel.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2010

The staff at the Continental Inn are excellent; friendly, helpful, and professional. Tiny room 125 was tastefully decorated and homey. The pillows and sheets were clean and soft, but the bedspread stank of old sweat and dirt, and had cigarette burns in it (in a non-smoking room). The inside of the front door, both sides of the bathroom door, and the walls in the bathroom were grimy, scratched and had paint peeling off. There was mold growing on the walls of bathroom. Both sink and toilet stank of mold and the urine smell from the toilet was overpowering. The continental breakfast was 2-day old stale bagels and raisin bread. It seemed as though someone had stayed for a very long time in that room, and the room hadn't really been cleaned properly afterward. Maybe room 125 is one of the "bad" rooms, but there were so many things inherently wrong with it that we ultimately left a day early.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 February 2010

My daughter and I came to Santa Cruz to see Tuck and Patti in concert at the Kumbawa Jazz Center. I chose this property based on the close proximity to the Center and the room photos and previous reviews on tripadvisor.com. We were not disappointed.
The rooms have been recently redone, with nice wood floors and attractive furnishings. We didn't get up early enough for the breakfast. The beds were so comfortable, and the pillows were very nice. The staff was very pleasant. Check-in and check-out were very smooth and efficient. This is a non-smoking facility, but they have a nice smoking area in the back. We were only there to sleep, so we never saw the pool. The rate for the room was decent for how nice the rooms were. The microwave and refrigerator are tucked away in a nice cupboard, so they are accessible but not detracting from the cozy feeling of the room. Tip: The Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk is only about a mile away, and there are some pretty extensive walking trails in that area along the waterfront.

• Stayed: February 2010