“So much fun you'll want to go again!”

Club Ed Santa Cruz Surf School
Reviewed 17 June 2013

While on our California coast road trip my husband and I went to Club Ed. We picked him over the other options for many reasons, but it ultimately came down to my gut feeling when I spoke directly to Ed on the phone. It was so strong that I booked our session immediately. He was hilarious and super helpful - making sure to tell me different places in the area to check out etc. When we met Ed at our private lesson I knew right away we made the right choice. Simply put, Ed has a way about him. He made us feel incredibly comfortable, was incredibly knowledgeable, compassionate, and we had a blast out there! What stuck out the most for me was Ed's ability to calm my scaredy-cat nerves. He's incredibly patient and truly just wants everyone to have a good time. While we were sitting on our boards waiting for some good waves, a handful of people came over to us and told Ed he taught them to surf 5, 10, 15, and 20 years ago. It was amazing. We went out with Ed again a couple days later and saw some of the other Club Ed surf instructors working with people both old and young. They were all professional, kind, and truly passionate. I believe Ed also teaches stand up paddle boarding and he rents paddle boards, surfboards, and wet suits for a decent price. If you want to learn how to surf or paddle board, go here! You won't be disappointed!!

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Decided to try a surfing lesson on a recent trip to Northern California. I knew it would be hard but I wasn't counting on just how hard it was! I give surfers all the credit in the world for making it look so easy! Met with the instructor and people in a small group by the beach. Juliano was really supportive, accomodating, and did his best to get everyone up and surfing. I did end up catching one wave which I was very proud of! The price was great for what you get with the lesson and I highly recommend this school. Very laid back but professional

Reviewed 17 March 2013

We had unexected FUN today, the 16th of March 2013! I have ZERO experience in surfing (I don't even know what to wear under that rental wet suit) and my 7 year old kid has ZERO experience taking formal swimming lessons. Both of us had never taken a dip in the cold, frigid California waters. In fact, because we did not have any expectations for the surfing lessons for this day, I chose a 4:00 pm one-hour-lesson-for-two in an almost low tide (it was still high tide when we were paddling out to sea) Cowell Beach, where we were not expecting to catch a wave. It took me three years, or so, to sign up for surfing lessons, and when I did, my kid ( who has more guts than me) convincingly talks me into having the lessons with her. Sky and Matt of CLUB ED made us surf while prioritizing our safety, built our confidence by giving us a sense of accomplishment and gave us FUN back when we least expected it. Sky taught us the basics of surfing in the beach without overloading our brains. Matt taught me how to demonstrate what Sky taught us. Sky "tandemed" with my kid on his board at least 4 or 5 times without dropping her into the water and made her stand up on the board with him in less than an hour's time! Matt taught me to stand up and balance on the board at sea, tread to navigate my board to the right or left, and remember the words "catch the wave...paddle... kneel the left knee...pop up," in my head, while actually trying very hard to surf. So, if you are a rookie/newbie/pleabian in surfing, like us, sign up and catch the wave with Sky and Matt! They will make the impossible happen and will actually let you surf within less than an hour's time--- all you need to do is bring your guts with you. They are very good (they know what they are talking about) straight A +++++ surfing instructors (take that from a person who seldom gives any compliment to anyone)!

2  Thank gig938
Reviewed 4 November 2012

We were in town and wanted something to do so we tried surfing. My friend and I and my 10 year old daughter were all first time surfers. Ed and Matt were both great. We got up on our boards very fast. They just told us when to paddle and stand up. All of us had a great time. Will definitely take another lesson in the future.

Reviewed 14 August 2012

This was my 2nd experience surfing and it was absolutely fantastic! The surf instructors provided exactly what I needed. I'm fairly athletic and like to try new things so I was only looking for a little guidance to get up on the waves. They fit the bill and pushed me further. What most impressed me was the care they took care of all their students. A young girl (probably about 11 yo) was next to me for the first part of the lesson on the sand. I sensed she was a bit nervous & hesitant about the whole thing. One of the instructors made sure she got the one on one attention she needed to feel comfortable. Midway through the lesson she was grinning ear to ear and loving it. What a testimate to the great job they did to catering to all the needs in a big class!