“Fantastic”

Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
swansea
“Fantastic”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Stumbled upon this place more by accident than design! Travelling from San Simeon to San Jose decided to call into Santa Cruz for an hour to see the Boardwalk. Stayed for 3 days! Recommendation from 'stranger/local' at Visitor Centre. Called in and staff so accommodating and helpful we were 'hooked'. Totally refurbished and top notch. Paid $185 first night (Sunday)reduced to $139 for next 2. Nice place to chill out with great pool area. Eating there was quite expensive (our view!) but made the most of the nearby Denny's for breakfast and the Greek Festival that weekend (love Greek food!). It's a good location as you can walk to the Boardwalk (about 25 mins - ok for us Brits as the guy in reception said! Americans dont walk!?) and through the park about 10 mins to the shops (downtown?)! Another 10 mins to West Cliff Beach, the light house and surfers! Perfect Sunday morning walk!

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the hotel on level 4 overlooking the car park! Thought we'd been ha...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
East Bay, SF
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I've very much enjoyed my stays at the Paradox in Santa Cruz. Recently renovated in modern style with creature comforts usually only found in the high-end resorts far away from all the Santa Cruz scene. Rooms are fashionable, functional, and quiet. Flat screen tv, Apple iHome, and high flow large head showers offer luxury you won't find in other SC hotels. The bed is very comfortable, actually exceptionally so....and can you say "pillow valet"? New pool and deck with cabanas, social style hot-tub, and fire pit give a sort of Vegas style touch but still kid friendly.

I usually don't frequent hotel restaurants, but this is hotel where I make an exception to my own rule. There's a great local beer offering on tap, backed up by a few choice bottle sections for the beer savvy. The burger at Solaire is top notch...and not just another burger...these are hand pattied big boys cooked perfectly to temp (I'm a rare to med-rare guy) with nice options like bleu cheese crumbles and a balsamic marmalade that's pretty original.

The staff is one that tries hard to please...friendly and exceptionally friendly. From valet to reception to barstaff I found smiles and genuine interest in making my stay as good as it could be.

Kudos and welcome to Santa Cruz, the Paradox is exactly what this area needed.

Room Tip: Odd numbered rooms don't have a pool view, but they're on the quiet/cooler side of the build...
Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank dailypint
Granite Bay, CA
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Stayed here for a soccer tournament. The staff was incredibly kind and accommodating to all the kids/families that were here for the tournament. Restaurant staff happily wrapped up muffins in napkins for the kids to take to go.

The decor is a seaside theme, very clean-lined and relaxing. The front desk is a gigantic "driftwood" tree trunk. Very cool.

All rooms face outside. We stayed in 515 which faced the county administration building. The even numbers face the pool. Our room was quiet, spotlessly clean and comfortable.

The beds were fabulous, lots of pillows and good quality linens. Flat screen tv. Keurig coffee maker with coffee and tea. Big closet. Well lit bathroom. No bath tub, just a shower. Good water pressure. Good quality towels. Room was also well lit. Lots of counter space.

We ate in the restaurant once for breakfast. Food was fine. Service was prompt. The lunch and dinner menu were a bit too sophisticated for my 12 years old's taste.

The elevator did have problems for the last 24 hours of our stay. If you might have problems navigating stairs, make sure you get a ground floor room.

Lots of parking, don't bother with valet.

Easy walk to old downtown. 3 mins drive to Whole Foods on Soquel.

1 Thank JLynch7471
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Our family stayed here for two nights (Sept. 28, 29). We had somewhat high hopes since it was newly renovated and had just re-opened, but in the end, I was not very impressed. Hotel Paradox calls itself a boutique hotel, but to me, it was just a motel with bathrobes and a pricey restaurant.

The few positives I can say are that our room was clean, the decor was pleasant enough, the beds were comfortable, and the flat-screen TV worked. The staff was courteous.

The negatives:
(1) Small, noisy rooms - Because the rooms are outside entry, we could hear outside noise quite clearly, including street traffic (police sirens especially on Friday night and early Saturday morning before 6 am). Friends who had a first-floor room by the pool and parking lot entrance were kept up all night by loudly clanging gates - they asked the front desk to post signs reminding guests/employees not to let the gates slam shut, but nothing happened.

(2) Elevator problems -We got stuck in the elevator, as did at least two other guests on separate occasions (a woman whom I overheard at checkout, and a poor little girl all by herself whose father had to stand outside the elevator and reassure her while she was crying that help was on the way). The elevator was out of service all morning Sunday, so lots of people preparing to check out had to lug their suitcases down the stairs. When it was time for us to check out, we lucked out and rode down the elevator with the repairman, whom we heard saying that the elevator parts were quite worn out. Guess they didn't update the elevator when they renovated the rest of the hotel.

(3)Our room refrigerator was not cold (yes, it was plugged in). When I reported it at checkout, the front desk was not surprised.

(4) Our bathroom sink drained very slowly. The toilet is super loud. The bathroom door is a sliding door that is also super loud.

(5) The management does not allow outside food at the pool, but there were no signs or notices, either in the hotel room or by the pool, stating this. This inconvenienced a number of families who, not knowing the rule, had already purchased outside food and were getting ready for a swim and dinner by the pool, only to find out, once they were all settled, that they had to return to their rooms to eat. There is supposed to be poolside restaurant and bar service, yet no staff member came by to take any orders after dropping off a menu. We had to go back inside to the restaurant bar to order drinks.

For the price we paid ($239/night), we would not recommend Hotel Paradox, and we will likely not return.

Room Tip: Stay away from first-floor rooms by the parking lot and pool gates - the clanging noise of the gates...
4 Thank A H
Tony E, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 5 October 2012
Dear California Visitor,

Please accept my sincerest apologies for a less than satisfied stay. We are very concerned that your recent vacation with us did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your constructive feedback and we are currently working on the deficiencies noted in your review. We are working on the noise issues, elevators and following up on the drain problems noted. I would like to thank you for commenting on our staff and the service you received.
Please call me directly for a VIP return stay and I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm regards,
Tony
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed staying here for a night at the end of our trip of Big Sur. The staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful, good rooms, good breakfast.

The hotel is located very close to downtown - a walk across the park and past Trader Joe's and you're on the main street which is very convenient. We got a taxi down to the boardwalk and back which was $8, I think it was probably walkable also, but we didn't have a map with us.

The room was comfortable and sparkling clean as they have only been open a couple of weeks. We found the bed very comfortable and loved the rain shower. Nice to have a walk-in closet, as we had lots of stuff with us. There is a posh coffee machine in the room and joy of joys - proper mugs! However the tap water didn't taste very nice - bring some bottled with you.

The pool area is great and if we are in the area again, we would want to allow more time to enjoy it. Lovely hot-tub and it was the first pool on our trip where I could actually swim laps.

The reception area is in a different building to the rooms, so make use of the bellboy if you have bags - it was a bit tricky negotiating the doors when you have lots of bags.

Breakfast was not included, it was quite fancy but reasonably priced. If you want something simpler I noticed there was a starbucks on Pacifi Avenue which is a 10 min walk.

Definitely recommend and would stay here again

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
San Francisco
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I came across the Paradox by coincidence and was recommended by hotels.com. The few reviews on TA did not aspire total confidence. My confidence was shaken up further when I drove past the usual suspects of motor lodges on Ocean Blvd. I thought I had made a BIG mistake.

My restlessness immediately settled when I arrived at the destination. The building looks new. The parking is generous. The valet looked in smart. The lobby immeidately signals that you have arrived somewhere unique (and green) the moment you are at the reception desk - which I believe is a real tree trunk. The motif appears to bring the outside in, and paintings of trees and bushes abound. Modern amenities throughout. Great rooms (albeit small in size) and great, great location - downtown SC is a short walk across a otally romantic bridge in the park adjacent to the hotel. Staff is super courteous and professional at both dinner and breakfast. Highly recommended. Ah, and WiFi was free. Its about time a hotel realized that WiFi is not a luxury anymore.

My compliment to management for such a responsive property .... and on the squirrels in the hotel!

Slight negative (that did not impact my amazing experience):
1. SweetnLow and powdered milk are not the best compliments to otherwise excellent Tully's coffee in the room.Its not with the times if you know what I mean.
2. The toilet flush is very loud.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to overlook the pool but ask anyway just in case.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 September 2012

Stayed here with my parents for one night - the night of the hotel opening party (but no one told us all guests were invited!). This is a new option in Santa Cruz. The hotel is located about a mile from the beach, so if you want to be on the water this is probably not the hotel for you. Finishing touches are still being made. That said, the room we stayed in was very clean and comfortable. I'd read other reviews that called this a more boutique option, but besides the wood accents and white color scheme I didn't really get too much of a boutique feel. The pool area was nice and there are plenty of lounge chairs and few "gazebo" type couch areas. Overall, a good addition to the Santa Cruz hotel scene. You can, however, stay for less closer to the water, it just won't be as nice.

1 Thank Lydia T