“Pleasant birthday weekend!”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My husband and I had a pleasant stay at the Paradox! I took my husband down there to celebrate his birthday over the weekend and let me say, my husband was marveled by the design of our room! It was different then our usual Hilton/Marriott stays, all in a good way! The staff was friendly and very helpful as well. We look forward to visiting Santa Cruz in the near future and enjoying another stay at the Paradox. Thank you and great job with the remodeling!

Room Tip: Since the Paradox is newly remodeled, there was not an ice machine available during my stay. I did h...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Tony E, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

Dear Birthday Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of your room experience and your fine customer service received from our staff, I will be sure to share with all associates.
Regarding the ice machines, the ice machines are located on the second and fourth floors, sorry that we didn't make you aware of the locations.
Look forward to having you back with us again, please call me directly for VIP treatment.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

So this hotel fits its name to a tee. I find myself asking why it was there and who it is meant to serve. It looks like an old motel that has been gutted and remodeled. The rooms are spacious and modern and well decorated. I loved the rain shower with large stone floors. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Location is ok...about five minute drive to downtown Santa Cruz. There were closer hotels, but they were more run down, so glad we stayed here.

My only complaint is that they charged $5 for parking. I thought this was unnecessary, especially with countless available spots.

For dinner, head to Lailli in town. Good service, good food, reasonably priced with a great ambience.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

The hotel is gorgeous. Very new and up to date. Pool is amazing. Rooms were kept very clean and modern. The only real downside is that they are new and seem inexperienced. There was no iron in the room. The front desk stuck us in the back of the third floor with the elevators broken and a more than half empty hotel. They did however remedy the situation. Staff was extremely friendly. I would stay there again. They just seemed like they had too many people new to the hotel game trying to run it.

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Jeremy P
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Beautiful boutique hotel. I was greeted by friendly hotel staff, who immediately took my luggage from my car. The lobby clerk had a friendly smile and quick to check me in. The lobby counter is made from a hugh eucalyptus tree. Very impressive and unique. Everything about the hotel was amazing. The property itself is nicely laid out. The restaurant is beautiful and the food delicious.
Thepatio had a large swhimming pool, large jacuzzi, cabanas all around an out bar and patio dining. My lunch, gruper fish on a bed of arugula with an olive oil dressing with capers was wonderful. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the bedding soft and comfortable. So are the robes. Everyone was very happy with the hotel and staff. We will be back!

Room Tip: Higher floors overlooking the pool and patio.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Travelover43
Tony E, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2012

Dear Bay Area Traveler,
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding the outstanding service and wonderful facilites. You have encapsulated all the beautiful experiences of what we are trying to deliver to our guests.
We look forward to having you back soon, please call me directly for VIP arrangements.

Reviewed 29 October 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Paradox Santa Cruz a couple of weeks ago. The hotel is clean and very modern. The pool side is warm and inviting and the restaurant is quite lovely. The food was delicious. Our room was a small regular queen room. It was very comfortable, however, the bath room was very small, with room for just one person. We enjoyed our stay and would recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chorussp
Reviewed 28 October 2012

The place has been completely updated and nicely done. However, all the elevators were out of order. The could have warned us as they had given us a fifth floor room. The room A/C just could not cool down the room and there were no opening windows to allow fresh air in to the room. I complained to the front desk and they said we were stuck with it as they had "gone green". I don't think so! Guest comfort should come first.

We can't comment on the restaurant as we didn't eat there.

The room we had was in motel style building so you had to keep the drapes closed for privacy what with everybody walking by. At $225 a night, I think we should be able to do better. Next time we are in Santa Cruz, we will try another place.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Schwarcz
Tony E, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your constructive feedback, your observations will only help us become a better hotel. Please accept my apologies for the elevators being out of order and the AC that would not cool down your room properly. we are diligently working on immediate repair and a solution for the problem. I will work closely with the staff regarding customer interaction and appropriate responses.
You can contact me directly for further feedback and I would be delighted to offer you VIP services upon your next trip to Santa Cruz.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

We are staying here this weekend for a tennis tournament that my daughter is playing in and this hotel is a really wonderful surprise! Located in a long line of Motel 8's and Holiday Inn's, this hotel is surprisingly modern, new and clean. The interiors are forest themed in a very hip, modern way! The rooms are great. The shower is large with a pebble floor. The beds are very comfortable. The only downsides were that the elevators are not working, but we need the exercise and the restaurant did not open until 9 on Saturday. The fitness center has new treadmills, ellipticals and bikes, but no free weights. There is room for them, so I expect they are on order. This hotel has only been open for about 3 months. It is a fantastic value and I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you can't walk up stairs, ask for a first floor room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family