“Should be a required stop for the design conscious rehab addict”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Camino, California, United States
“Should be a required stop for the design conscious rehab addict”
Reviewed 22 November 2012

What to do with an aging mid century modern HoJo location that has lost its luster? This is the answer. Like the Disneyland Hotel embracing its fifties vibe, this gem of a property plays on a Bauhaus-meets-Birkenstock aesthetic that is both nostalgic and up to the second. I know I've stayed in this same hotel somewhere, nowhere, pre-redo, and thought what fun it would be if someone would pare it down to its beautiful bones (no faux-Tuscan details here) and remind us of the optimism that once infused modern design. Clean lines. Light. Materials allowed to be what they are, such as exposed concrete and picture windows; textural details like nubby sheer curtains and reclaimed wood backboards and tree stump tables. Whoever designed this place deserves an award. But the design doesn't sacrifice comfort, the beds are comfortable, the showers spa-like. A mini fridge and bathrobes and a Keurig were luxe amenities. I forgive the slow elevators and clangy gates, but maybe because I'm a sucker for a place that tries to do something special with something completely mundane, and succeeds.

Room Tip: For me, being up a floor or two got me away from car or pool noise. But some may want that scene.
3 Thank Howell E

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Woodside, California, USA
Reviewed 20 November 2012

If design and style are important to you, this is the place to stay in Santa Cruz. This hotel must have had the most complete remodel of any hotel I have ever been in. It is on Ocean St., which is a main drag with endless older older hotels and motels, and there are much better and more scenic locations to be in the area. But once you enter the front doors of the lobby , you are in a different world. Every detail is over the top hip and cool, Santa Cruz style. For example, it would be hard to miss as the reservations desk is one solid and huge piece of driftwood. This is a great introduction as to what is in store in the public spaces and the rooms.

Our room was modest in size, as I think most of the rooms are, but the level of detail in the design aesthetic was remarkable. There is an eclectic blend of ultra modern and rustic elements that work well in harmony. Make no mistake, clean lines and minimalism is a driving force here, and it works beautifully. Every element in the room was clearly thoroughly thought out. The headboard is reclaimed wood. The sconces are modern but have beautiful hemp rope that wraps around the wire. The small side table is actually a gorgeous wood stump. The flat screen TV is recessed and flush with the wall. A small and costly detail that makes a huge design difference.

Though the bathroom is modest in size, it is elegant and inviting. The shower is made for two people, the floor made of river rock. Terry bathrobes, hip amenities, an illuminated mirror, etc.. The modern minimal chic is everywhere!

The public spaces are just as inviting as the rooms, with a stunning pool area, great lounge chairs etc. You'll want to hang out in the lobby, just because of its aesthetic.

The hotel is made to attract a younger crowd, but I see this as pretty family friendly as well. I went at a quiet time, so I have no idea what the place is like when it is full in summertime. The remodel is very very new, and i hope it ages well.

Two Thumbs up.
Joe Bob says "Check it out. "

1 Thank Tom K
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 November 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a really pleasant weekend stay at the hotel. The hotel had a good vibe and the staff were uniformly pleasant and really went out of the way to be helpful. We spent most of time in Santa Cruz and environs so we didn't use the restaurant and pool, but we loved the room, bed (mattress, big pillow, linens), bathroom (shower, robes. When we compare it ot some of the oher hotels wev'e stayed at in Santa Cruz there was simply no comparison. We'll defintely sytay there next time we visit.

1 Thank pwallace650
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My husband and I had a pleasant stay at the Paradox! I took my husband down there to celebrate his birthday over the weekend and let me say, my husband was marveled by the design of our room! It was different then our usual Hilton/Marriott stays, all in a good way! The staff was friendly and very helpful as well. We look forward to visiting Santa Cruz in the near future and enjoying another stay at the Paradox. Thank you and great job with the remodeling!

Room Tip: Since the Paradox is newly remodeled, there was not an ice machine available during my stay. I did h...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Tony E, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Dear Birthday Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments regarding the quality of your room experience and your fine customer service received from our staff, I will be sure to share with all associates.
Regarding the ice machines, the ice machines are located on the second and fourth floors, sorry that we didn't make you aware of the locations.
Look forward to having you back with us again, please call me directly for VIP treatment.
Warm regards,
Tony
New York City, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2012

So this hotel fits its name to a tee. I find myself asking why it was there and who it is meant to serve. It looks like an old motel that has been gutted and remodeled. The rooms are spacious and modern and well decorated. I loved the rain shower with large stone floors. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Location is ok...about five minute drive to downtown Santa Cruz. There were closer hotels, but they were more run down, so glad we stayed here.

My only complaint is that they charged $5 for parking. I thought this was unnecessary, especially with countless available spots.

For dinner, head to Lailli in town. Good service, good food, reasonably priced with a great ambience.

Dallas, Texas, United States
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

The hotel is gorgeous. Very new and up to date. Pool is amazing. Rooms were kept very clean and modern. The only real downside is that they are new and seem inexperienced. There was no iron in the room. The front desk stuck us in the back of the third floor with the elevators broken and a more than half empty hotel. They did however remedy the situation. Staff was extremely friendly. I would stay there again. They just seemed like they had too many people new to the hotel game trying to run it.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Jeremy P
Novato, California
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Beautiful boutique hotel. I was greeted by friendly hotel staff, who immediately took my luggage from my car. The lobby clerk had a friendly smile and quick to check me in. The lobby counter is made from a hugh eucalyptus tree. Very impressive and unique. Everything about the hotel was amazing. The property itself is nicely laid out. The restaurant is beautiful and the food delicious.
Thepatio had a large swhimming pool, large jacuzzi, cabanas all around an out bar and patio dining. My lunch, gruper fish on a bed of arugula with an olive oil dressing with capers was wonderful. The rooms are beautifully decorated and the bedding soft and comfortable. So are the robes. Everyone was very happy with the hotel and staff. We will be back!

Room Tip: Higher floors overlooking the pool and patio.
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Travelover43
Tony E, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Dear Bay Area Traveler,
Thank you so much for your kind comments regarding the outstanding service and wonderful facilites. You have encapsulated all the beautiful experiences of what we are trying to deliver to our guests.
We look forward to having you back soon, please call me directly for VIP arrangements.
Warm regards,