“Nothing welcoming in the front desk area.”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 24 August 2013

No warm colors or decor to make me feel cozy, just a fallen tree to serve as a barrier between customer and clerk. I gather that the clerk had a flat surface somewhere on her side but mine did not. Nothing functional about this huge tree trunk lying in the room except to conceal her work area I suppose. The pool and jacuzzi were nice except I saw that some folks in the area were non-residents. Either that or they always jump in their cars with wet swimsuits on. Room had a gorgeous glass shower along with a very loud toilet flush. That may be a Paradox, I'm not sure. The two Queen Bed room was not really big enough for three as I had hoped it would be. It certainly appeared to be in a nice area and the building next door has something to do with the police dept.

Room Tip: only one chair in the room and if three of you get the Queen beds, you'll be falling all over ea...
1  Thank tippitendren

Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

At more than 400 a night, my king suite was not good. The living area was freezing and the bedroom sweltering. And i was shocked by the view of the homeless sleeping in the park behind the hotel. It did not make me comfortable. Restaurant and the food were both great ... Best part of the place .... Just a very dressed up old motel at an extra expensive place.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank BasaltDuo
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2013

Dear BasaltDuo,

Thank you for your review of Hotel Paradox in Santa Cruz. My apologies that you felt the room was not worth what you paid for it. Rates do fluctuate during the week and weekend based on demand in the area. You should have a consistent temperature in the room itself and this needs to be addressed as the HVAC should work properly. I'd love to catch up with you personally to see what you think we could do to add value into the Suites that would make it worth what you paid. Also, I'd love to invite you back for a complimentary stay if you would let me have some time with you about what we can do to improve it from your point of view? I am certainly concerned about creating a great guest experience and we want to be able to earn your future business as we try and build up loyalty with our guests in the Hotel. Please let me know if you would take me up on the offer? Please feel free to reach me at my contact information below.

Thank you!
andrea.murray@thehotelparadox.com

Reviewed 23 August 2013

First let me start off by saying I got the government rate of $135 a night for the King Suite.

Overall the Hotel was a good stay. There were a few things I would have expected though that I have gotten in other hotels that this one seems to be missing on.

For the goods...the decor was nice as well as the beds and sheets. The Hotel was very clean and the pool area was amazing. All the staff members I ran into were extremely helpful, but some were more professional then others. The front desk staff and bell hop were more then willing to help out and take care of any requests. I never used the room service or restaurant so I can not comment on those aspects.

For the not so goods...The building is not a hotel as advertised, but an upgraded motel. There was no iron or ironing board in the room, nor was there a microwave (however with all my travel this seems to be hit or miss). The area that the Hotel was situated in was in a decent (at best) part of town during the daylight hours, but a place I would not want to get caught out at night time. One member of the staff, while being very nice, also gave the perception of being very unprofessional. While at the pool the lifeguard seemed to have quite a few of what seemed to be college buddies at the pool and that's where he spent most of his attention. Also, ice buckets were provided in rooms however there were no Ice machines on the first floor. It also lacked vending machines to by a soft drink, but I think this is so you had to go to their bar and pay $2.30 for a 10oz (est.) soft drink.

Overall, this was an average hotel with nothing special. There was nothing outstanding but it provided a good nights rest after long days for me and my family. At the rate of $135 it provided what I expected. As long as the rate didn't go up to much we would return to this place.

2  Thank mtborer

Dear Mtborer,

First off, thank you for your honest feedback and review of Hotel Paradox. We are so happy that there were aspects of the stay that were a win for you, the cleanliness, the pool area, the beds and the Front Desk staff. I am sorry to hear the experience went down for you in terms of the professionalism of the wait staff on the deck area. We would never want you to have a negative viewpoint of our staff or give the impression that it would be acceptable to have their buddies just hanging out as I can tell you, that is definitely not the way we would want that to happen. As far as the ice machines go, we do have them on the 2nd and the 5th floor, but if you want us to run and get ice for you, the team is more than happy to fetch it for you. Just call us, we will bring it right up. We did at one point consider vending machines, but we don't think that is something we will add at this time. We do thank you for your thoughts and we can review it again. I would be more than happy to assist you with a future stay or booking to ensure all is perfect for you and to assure you that we have taken note of the areas you showed concern over. We are still in our first year, and we want to make a great experience for every guest. Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

Thank you!
andrea.murray@thehotelparadox.com

Many thanks!

Reviewed 16 August 2013

Very nice hotel in a good location if you don't mind driving very short distances to downtown or the beach. Rooms were very clean and comfortable. Bathroom was very nicely done. The best part however, was the pool area. The pool was large enough for the kids to have fun and not disturb others in the pool. Nice lounge chairs and outside area. The hot tub was large and the firepit was so nice to sit by at night. Bar service at the pool was great as well. We have definitely found our new hotel to stay at when spending the night in Santa Cruz! The staff was wonderful from check-in to poolside to drinks at night. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: We stayed on the pool side near the back which the front desk clerk recommended. It was quiet and t...
Reviewed 13 August 2013

For a business trip this hotel was nice. The beds are confortable and the internet works well. The natural feel of the rooms is nice, they are small but well equiped. I do feel the price is excessive, but if you want a nice clean room in a decent area, this hotel will do.
Do be careful of the park behind the hotel, it has had some recent crime.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank AnilemA
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2013

Dear AnilemA,

Thank you for your recent stay with the Hotel Paradox! We appreciate the feedback and are glad to hear you liked the room. For our best values, always book on our direct website at www.thehotelparadox.com. We also rate match if you find a rate lower somewhere else, call us and we will verify it and will happily match it for you! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon!

Many Thanks!

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Nice and clean, did exactly what we wanted.
Slightly overpriced but rooms are spacious, clean and comfortable. Quite modern looking inside. Plenty of parking spaces.

The kids enjoyed the pool and hot tub

1  Thank P G
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Nice contemporary design. Friendly welcome by staff upon arrival. Easy parking close to the rooms which are clean with great furniture and decoration. Bed and sheets are superb. One of the best sheets I've ever slept in. Both pool and hottub are excellent with enough poolchairs to relax. Breakfast is excellent but is not included in the room price. For what you pay per night a basic continental breakfast should be included.

However, besides all the fancy and style there are some things that can be improved. Our room was next to the elevator which made noise everytime it was used. Room very small with almost no place to put suitcases. Happy hour was only on very small selection of drinks, not on the cocktails. Food way overprized. Offered quality not good enough for the high price they charge.

If you make a stopover in Santa Cruz this hotel is a welcome break from hours of driving and a good place to relax.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple