“Great stay all around.....”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Georgetown, Canada
“Great stay all around.....”
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Paradox just recently and experienced excellent service all around....from check in to the time we left. All staff extremely competent and friendly. Dinner at the Solaire restaurant was excellent. We definitely would recommend this hotel!!!!

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Andrea M, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Pauline C,

So happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with Hotel Paradox in Santa Cruz. I will be sure to give the team a pat on the back and recognition for their efforts to provide excellent service to you. I am very proud of my team here, they do try very hard to make sure everyone is happy and comfortable. We do hope to see you again very soon!

Thank you!
831.600.4501

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 9 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night and really liked it. We got a great deal, the decor was "chic" and it was very clean. I would definitely stay here again. All the details were excellent. Loved the wood headboards. Wished we'd had time to enjoy the heated pool and the fire pit.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Alittledabble,

We do hope to see you again in the near future and hope you make it back to relax by the firepit and take a dip in our pool! Appreciate the positive review and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Many thanks!
charlottesville
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I just spent one night at the Hotel Paradox with a friend and was happy with the motel overall. Oddly, i spent one night in the same motel about three years ago before it's conversion. Previously, it was a Holiday Inn. The rooms open to the outdoors with a view of the parking area or pool. As such, i still consider this place a "motel" rather than "hotel."

The rooms have been stylishly updated with barn wood headboards, sliding barn doors into the bathroom, striated ceramic tile in the bathroom, metallic photo prints, and fresh white linens. The rooms and lobby are certainly "on trend" with regard to decor and i suspect it will feel dated within the next 4 or 5 years. I also suspect should the motel become infested with bed bugs, they will have a challenging time ridding themselves of the pests because of the nooks and crannies inherent in the barn wood headboards. I did not make note of anything that led me to believe the room i rented had any problems in that regard.

The pool are is an oasis with ample outdoor seating, bar service, and a hot tub. Cabanas are available for rent.

I thought it was a bit money grubbing to charge $5 additional for parking especially considering i booked via the "hotel's" website. There is plenty of parking around the motel and parking could easily be included in the room rate.

My friend and i wanted to explore downtown santa cruz by foot and found the hotel's locked gate inconvenient. I understand they are securing access to the property from the drifters/homeless people who congregate in the park next door but it seems like providing daytime access to the pedestrian path during could be just as effective. Rather than exit the front of the motel and walk around the block, we jumped the fence near some water pipes. so we would have a more direct path off the property.

The staff in the lobby were very friendly and helpful. They printed out directions to a local attraction when we checked out.

I would probably stay here again especially considering many of the hotels in santa cruz are either run-down or over-priced. This is a comfortable mid-ranged place to stay that's close to downtown and the beach.

Room Tip: The "quiet" rooms are on the opposite side of the motel from the pool.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Oriahlee,

Thank you so very much for the recent review of Hotel Paradox and your stay experience with us. Glad to hear you appreciated the décor elements and the renovation touch points we have done seeing that you have stayed here when it was a different Hotel. We do still consider ourselves a Hotel as we offer many more offerings and amenities than you find in motels; Soft robes, luxury bedding, valet and laundry service, a business center and fitness center, a full service upscale restaurant on site...I do understand the rooms are exterior facing, but we hope to counter any sense of motel feeling by the service and amenities we provide just as the agent took the time to print directions for you-that is what we feel (hopefully!) can set us apart as we want the stay to feel high end and service oriented in every way. We do look forward to seeing you again and if you have any notes for me on how we can be more hotel like-I would appreciate your thoughts as we continually strive to improve our business and create w from your vantage point, I would appreciate your thoughts. We strive to create wonderful hospitality moments for all our guests. Appreciate your insight and glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Feel free to reach out if I can be of service.

Many Thanks!
San Francisco
Reviewed 4 November 2013

There was nothing paradoxical about the Paradox hotel in downtown Santa Cruz. Beautifully done interiors with a modern minimalist look and a natural earthy feel. You walk into the lobby and the the front desk is a huge tree trunk. You immediately know this hotel is not your average bear. The pool is inviting protected by busy streets with trees lining the property. Open fire at night next to a big hot tub. The staff is exceptional and willing to mail me the Iphone I left in the room. The bellmen and housekeepers were friendly and smiling.

I am told the property is privately owned and you can tell---extra touches that make it stand out. Prints of forest scenes and foliage decorate the clean and beautiful rooms. The rooms are simple but fresh and modern. Soaps in the shower have eco-friendly holes in the middle---(think about it, who uses the center of a soap anyway). The showers have cobblestone floors.

A good value for Santa Cruz. I have paid much more for a creepy room at the Quality Inn in Aptos. Although its a bit of a walk to the beach boardwalk, you can easily cross the bridge behind the hotel to downtown Santa Cruz and browse the interesting little shops there. Make sure you check out the decor in their restaurant "Solaire" lamps made of wood shreds and a mural made of tree branches. A great place to stay at a reasonable price. Best of all were the friendly faces you will encounter.

Room Tip: 4th and 5th floors provide good views
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Copenhagen4,

Thank you so much for a lovely review of Hotel Paradox. We are all so happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future. Glad you enjoyed the décor and the experience. We appreciate your kind review of the Hotel!

Many thanks!
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I recently spent a single evening at Hotel Paradox. It really is impressive. My understanding from my Santa Cruz client is the hotel used to be a college dorm. You'd never know it. Rooms are large and the amenities are terrific. They had to have completely gutted the place to do the reno. It's modern and the design brings the outdoors of Santa Cruz in. The restaurant is very good and everything is moderately priced. I do have one minor suggestion. The reception desk is awesome looking (a large tree turned on it's side). But, it's really off-putting. It creates a large distance between the clerk and the customer and the customer doesn't have anywhere to set down papers or anything else.
I do plan on staying here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We had a three week event at this hotel and it was by far and away one of the best experiences I had. From the knowledgeable on site technical staff that assisted with our network configuration, to the accommodating staff, to the great pool to the WONDERFUL people they have working there that make you feel right at home I would recommend this place to anyone.

The menu could use some expanding, but everything on it is fantastic!! The rooms are comfortable and clean and overall this was one of my best long term stay experiences at a hotel I've had in a while.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We stayed here for the last 3 nights of our honeymoon in California and would highly recommend it. The room was spacious, modern and really stylish. The pool area was lovely too. Read some reviews about the location being a bit out of the way but I would have to disagree. We were able to walk everywhere really easily. Could get to downtown in less than 10 mins and to the beach in about 15 mins. Only criticism was the $5 daily charge for parking!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple