“Paradox Indeed” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Los Angeles, California
“Paradox Indeed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Comfortable, good restaurant, and both times I've stayed here the jack hammer disturbed the the good vibrations.
The hanging barn door-style bathroom closure hardly creates a satisfying barrier for bathroom business. Linens are limited, thin, and itchy and the rock quarry floor in the shower was torture to my feet! Guess the paradox is calling the hotel a boutique!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

When I first pulled up to the hotel I was a little shocked to find the price for parking had been increased to $10 a night. I had read reviews on this site that said only $5. Oh well! I was also told by the receptionist when I booked my room that the beach was only 10 min - 15 min away - well maybe if you are sprinting! I definitely was a little more than that! About a mile or so I would say. At least it is walkable, as is the town center - about 10-15 mins away.
Hotel rooms face front and back - costs more to be up high and facing the pool - the back faces a parking lot - but who really looks out the window anyway! Lower rooms have chairs outside the doors looking at the pool.
The pool is nice - heated - and there is a hot tub. Here was another problem - it was closed due to a charity auction. I would not have stayed here if I had know it would be closed as the pool and hot tub were two reasons I picked this rather expensive hotel! The waitress apologised and said to mention this on my check out - which I did and received a refund of my parking and a $6 beer. Great. I noticed when I came back from dinner about 10pm that night that the hot tub was now open - but too late for me with lots of alcohol on board!
The room itself was very nice although I was hoping for a walk in shower as i saw on the website. However, just a bath like at home with an overhead shower :( I did inquire about this and was told only certain rooms randomly have them. I thought paying for a more expensive room would give me the nice shower I had seen on the web site - but I guess not!
The staff were all exceptional and helpful so can't fault them and my breakfast was yummy!
The hotel is next to a pretty park - full of homeless people sleeping. However, they did not bother me as I walked by.
Apart from the hot tub (my biggest disappointment) it was a comfortable, hotel with caring and attentive staff.

Room Tip: I had room 5 08 I think and it overlooked the pool - just. Ice machine was on 4th floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Essexgirl63
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

We loved that motel / hotel. Staff was incredible from valet, to front desk to restaurant. The decoration is warmly modern with a touch of humour (cool white squirels on the ceiling!).The food was excellent! We had the salmon and the chicken. The bed was awesome and I think I slept better than at home. Yes, it is a bit noisy, like any kind of motel. To us, if was perfect anyway.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I stayed here for a couple days on business. The rooms are nice, pool is great and location is good. Not located at the beach but not far away. Only major down side is the town. The park next door is basically a homeless shelter. The hotel has very good gated security so it's not an issue but there can be some noise at times outside. Also you really can't enjoy the park much which is a shame. These folks have no where to go and just stay there.

I did have noise issues at this hotel due to the sliding bathroom doors. If you get someone next to you that bangs the doors open and shut you WILL hear it loudly. There doesn't seem like much way to keep this quite either.

Room Tip: I liked my ground floor room.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Daninstl
california
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

We came for a baby shower. Room on second floor. Annoying house keeper cart going by room al afternoon. Since walkway outside it was nousy. Normally not bothered because we would be out except spouse was sick. Lived the shower. Bed was comfy. Would stay again. Oh pool heated!!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank infogal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

While not on the beach, nothing in Santa Cruz is more than a quick drive away so it was a good location. The parking was free and convenient.

We stayed on the fifth floor facing the pool. The rooms were very quiet, couldn't hear anything through the walls. The room was spacious and comfortable. The decor of the entire place was beautiful. The bathrobes provided were wonderful. But best of all was the pool, which doesn't close til 10. It was clean, heated, and wonderful! The hot tub could've been a tad warmer but it was big and spacious.

My only complaint would be that the menu for the Sunday brunch at the restaurant listed on their website was not what was offered. In fact, the actual menu was fairly limited, which was a bit disappointing. That being said, the Benedict I received was cooked perfectly. So I can't complain about the food nor the service. Just complaining about the website. ;)

Will definitely come back!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xosurlyxo
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

Having a student at UCSC, I have been bouncing around trying to find a decent place to stay in Santa Cruz. Finally, I found Hotel Paradox, a charming, friendly place I can count on. I've stayed here 4 times and am never disappointed.
I read another review about the room size and I don't know how much bigger the rooms need to be. I find them fairly large. The rooms are clean and the beds are very comfortable. The pillows are fresh and the decor is hip with the raw wood walls for headboards and pictures of the nearby woods.
The shower is great with decent water pressure and the lighting is great in both bath and bedrooms. I prefer the ground floor by the pool. These rooms have a little table and 2 chairs to sit outside and enjoy the fresh air.
The pool and jacuzzi are huge and not ever too crowded. I use the gym as well, the machines are modern, the facilities are clean and there is plenty of room to get a good workout before heading out.
During my last stay in Feb. I tried the dining room for dinner. It was superb! The service was excellent and the food was delicious but a little pricey.
Overall, I always enjoy coming back to Hotel Paradox and am glad there if finally an affordable, modern, and clean place to stay in Santa Cruz.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo