“Amanda A Rocks!”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 19 April 2014

She was so friendly and helpful. Got my son hot chocolate at midnight to help celebrate his birthday. The hotel is beautiful and green. I'm so grateful The Dream Inn where I normally stay was booked so I could enjoy this amazing hotel.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed here to visit my son at UCSC based on a review by another parent. It IS very nice, the rooms are modern and the pool/hot tub area are outstanding during the day and night. Gorgeous fire pit adds to the ambience. Restaurant was very good for breakfast, reasonable price for a BIG continental bkfast.

Room Tip: Recommend staying on the 1st floor, we stayed in 103 which is a quiet corner of the hotel.
Reviewed 13 April 2014

The hotel has the absolute best interior design that I have seen in a hotel. The rooms are beautiful. The pool is beautiful and is open from 8am to 10pm. The hotel is only about a mile from the beach boardwalk but we did not feel safe walking in this area at night so we had to drive to the beach and pay to park. The hotel charges $10 for parking, there did not appear to be any security in the parking area. The young woman working at the front desk was not at all pleasant but the rest of the staff was very friendly and helpful. There was really not any kind of a lobby area, just the front desk and straight to the rooms. The rooms are all outside facing so there are no rooms that open to an interior corridor which was a little scarry.

1  Thank dl2002
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Had a fantastic stay here with 4 friends. We had twin double room with an extra roll away and there was loads of room. Staff were really friendly, particularly our waitresses who had all the charm you can dream of from California girls.

Just book

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

Comfortable, good restaurant, and both times I've stayed here the jack hammer disturbed the the good vibrations.
The hanging barn door-style bathroom closure hardly creates a satisfying barrier for bathroom business. Linens are limited, thin, and itchy and the rock quarry floor in the shower was torture to my feet! Guess the paradox is calling the hotel a boutique!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 March 2014

When I first pulled up to the hotel I was a little shocked to find the price for parking had been increased to $10 a night. I had read reviews on this site that said only $5. Oh well! I was also told by the receptionist when I booked my room that the beach was only 10 min - 15 min away - well maybe if you are sprinting! I definitely was a little more than that! About a mile or so I would say. At least it is walkable, as is the town center - about 10-15 mins away.
Hotel rooms face front and back - costs more to be up high and facing the pool - the back faces a parking lot - but who really looks out the window anyway! Lower rooms have chairs outside the doors looking at the pool.
The pool is nice - heated - and there is a hot tub. Here was another problem - it was closed due to a charity auction. I would not have stayed here if I had know it would be closed as the pool and hot tub were two reasons I picked this rather expensive hotel! The waitress apologised and said to mention this on my check out - which I did and received a refund of my parking and a $6 beer. Great. I noticed when I came back from dinner about 10pm that night that the hot tub was now open - but too late for me with lots of alcohol on board!
The room itself was very nice although I was hoping for a walk in shower as i saw on the website. However, just a bath like at home with an overhead shower :( I did inquire about this and was told only certain rooms randomly have them. I thought paying for a more expensive room would give me the nice shower I had seen on the web site - but I guess not!
The staff were all exceptional and helpful so can't fault them and my breakfast was yummy!
The hotel is next to a pretty park - full of homeless people sleeping. However, they did not bother me as I walked by.
Apart from the hot tub (my biggest disappointment) it was a comfortable, hotel with caring and attentive staff.

Room Tip: I had room 5 08 I think and it overlooked the pool - just. Ice machine was on 4th floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Essexgirl63
Reviewed 24 March 2014

We loved that motel / hotel. Staff was incredible from valet, to front desk to restaurant. The decoration is warmly modern with a touch of humour (cool white squirels on the ceiling!).The food was excellent! We had the salmon and the chicken. The bed was awesome and I think I slept better than at home. Yes, it is a bit noisy, like any kind of motel. To us, if was perfect anyway.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple