Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
The Islander Motel(Santa Cruz)
Continental Inn(Santa Cruz)
  • Breakfast included
National 9 Motel(Santa Cruz)
View Hotel
Motel Santa Cruz(Santa Cruz)
Quality Inn(Santa Cruz)
View Hotel
All reviewspool areafree shuttlefire pithot tubshuttle servicebarn doorholiday inncool hotelgreat poolwalking distance to downtownhomeless peopleocean streetup to dateking roommini fridgethe santa cruz areasan francisco
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here for my birthday, which overlapped with Memorial Day weekend. Overall, I think we got what we paid for in terms of Santa Cruz hotels, but the amount we spent would have gotten us more in other cities, even ones such as Napa. However, in a city full of motel chains, it was nice to find a remodeled, more upgraded hotel like Paradox.

Pros:
+ Nicely upgraded: pebble-lined shower (no tub, at least in our unit)
+ Nice size for a couple
+ The room was clean
+ Lots of parking spaces
+ Decor and room were nice overall
+ Pretty central location: walking distance to downtown, Trader Joe's CVS, Acai bowl place, and 1 mile to the boardwalk
+ The room cleaning/maintenance staff was friendly

Cons:
- Parking isn't included ($10 - not a big deal)
- Pool and hot tub, along with the first floor of rooms, are reminiscent of a greek row frat praty environment (not necessarily a bad thing - might be a con for other people)
- Room entry door isn't flush/sealed at the bottom, which let in a lot of outside noise/people walking around, and not a great feeling of privacy
- Could hear bathrooms flushing everywhere around us, but otherwise the rooms were pretty quiet
- Right next to the hotel, there is a dicey looking park with equally dicey looking people right behind the park - not a big deal to me, but my girlfriend didn't feel safe when she decided to take a "shortcut" (you can't enter the hotel from that park, btw). The other side appears to be a police station though.

Room Tip: It's probably best to get a room that faces inward (toward the pool)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bcho87
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I happened upon this spot when trying to find a place an hour before arrival in Santa Cruz. Thanks to the internet and a great price, I booked this hotel. My husband and I were pleasantly surprised. It was our first time in Santa Cruz. This is just a short walk to the cool downtown area were we found ourselves in the evening after making the mistake and walking in the direction of the Boardwalk expecting something other than what we found. Thankfully the downtown made up for it. I would definitely return here if we ever found ourselves in Santa Cruz again. I slept through the night without waking once which is saying something these days! What a fabulous bed and pillows.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 May 2014

An amazing remodel with nice rooms - although they are small. But the staff's excellent customer service skills make this a great addition to my college's town's lodging choices. Every one seemed to be friendly, informed, and helpful, no matter their function. But one of the team stands out: Amanda A. at the front desk. The Paradox should do all they can to keep her on the team - if she's up for promotion, do it now. Otherwise some smart tech company from over the hill is going to poach her for their human resources team.

Again - a lovely stay made excellent by Amanda A.

I can't wait to go back.

Sally S.

Room Tip: Higher rooms must have a bit of a view! The ground floor rooms do have low ceilings - maybe some on the higher floors are different.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2014

I stayed here for two nights. It was about 1 to 1 1/2 miles away from the Santa Cruz boardwalk depending on which way you walked.If you want to be closer to the beach I would keep looking. The remodel was nice. The rooms were very comfortable. I loved the shower. It had a pebble lined floor. the hotel grounds were quite on the nights I stayed. the hotel had a nice pool and spa. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank AliciaBar
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Good place to stay, the whole place feels comfortable and relaxing. From the lobby library of plain covered books (don't judge a book by the cover?) to the stylish boutique rooms. Bright, clean, friendly. Good pool are with hot-tub and fire-pit for when the evenings are not quite California enough.
Local friends say it has been completely gutted and remodelled - and it shows. Try it.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple