“Great place for a stay nearish to Monterey, but much better value”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Somerset
“Great place for a stay nearish to Monterey, but much better value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We booked this as just a bed for the night, after spending the afternoon in Monterey, it's about an hour North up the coast and was SO much less expensive than the Monterey hotels. The rooms are very stylish with a great bathroom, fab shower, you get bathrobes and a big comfy bed and it was quiet (our room was at the back away from the pool).
We were disappointed to find when we arrived about 5pm on a Friday that the pool area had a function going on and so was very noisy and busy. It was available for us to use, but didn't provide the restful poolside chill out we had hoped for, so we didn't use it, but it looked like a great pool and poolside - very frustrating!
We drove into Santa Cruz for a look around, we didn't bother getting out as it was noisy and very young(!), but maybe we re just getting old! The hotel is 5 minutes drive from the pier so would probably take 20 -30 minutes to walk to. Lots of chain restaurants near the hotel for an easy meal. We felt this was a good hotel for the price and would recommend it as an overnight stop.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrsP-Somerset
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
We are so glad you enjoyed your visit, and thanks for your kind review! So sorry that the pool event on Friday detracted from your enjoyment of the pool area. We do hope you will have the chance to relax with us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

I would say first impressions were mixed. We checked in the front desk was nice if not a little fake. However, when detailing the package we were receiving included a 25 dollar credit for breakfast, free self parking and a 2pm checkout. We would later find out parking was not included. But beyond that the room, It was wonderful because we were celebrating my 30th birthday and our 7 year anniversary and they gave us a free upgrade to a suite and a nice bottle of wine, but the floor had massive stains throughout the room. We informed the front desk because we didn't want to be charged later for the stains. They apologized and immediately moved us. The next room still had stained floors however these were not as bad. We turned the air on before we left to go explore the town but we realized the ac wasn't working correctly. We called the front desk and they said they would send someone up to look at it immediately. We waited 15 minutes no one ever came we saw a housekeeper and asked him and he said he was new and didn't know how it worked. He asked someone else who said it took about an hour to cool down. So we took them at there word and went out for the day. This was around 4pm, we came back around midnight after being out all day and it was extremely hot still in the room. We called the front desk again and they said someone would come assist us in a moment. Again we waited for about 20 minutes no one came. We called again and the gentleman at the front desk offered to bring a fan up. We at this point had given up on ac and agreed to the fan. The fan was loud and excuse the term but ghetto, it was held on with ductape. I finally got upset around 4am and turned the fan off and went to try to make the ac work. I finally got the ac running. The night sleep was one of the worst I've had in years the bed felt like a rock and the pillows were flat and crunchy. I took a shower the next morning and the towels had yellow stains and smelled horrible. The shower on the other hand was beautiful. Breakfast was included but not worth the money. My biscuits and gravy were bland and burned, the gravy was not very well prepared, it tasted like flour. I was just truly unimpressed. We went to check out and the manager checked us out he attempted concern and shock when I explained what happened but honestly he needs to work on his empathy. He did try though. He offered to take care of our parking and our breakfast which would have been great had we not been informed earlier that it was part of the package that we purchased. I think that the hotel has great potential to be a fabulous hotel it just needs a little work on customer service. The ac issues and other problems would have been nothing had the communication and guest service been better handled. I work as a front desk agent for a hotel so I understand sometimes we are busy and can't assist everyone immediately but if we were at least given that information out expectations wouldn't be as high.

• Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Chungy30
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
We are so grateful for the detailed account you provided of your experience with us. Let me apologize for the inconsistencies you encountered, and assure you that as a team we address each issue individually as an opportunity to improve our service and product. Again, I am sorry for the concerns you expressed, and am so very grateful for the praise you offered. We hope to have the opportunity to provide the experience we strive for daily, should your travels bring you our direction again.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Arriving in the early evening, parking was easy at the hotel and free for guests. The hotel staff was very friendly at check in and the lobby has a boutique hotel feel. Trying to find the room was not easy due to the confusing layout of the property. The property also has a nice pool, bar and restaurant. The outside of the rooms is simple but the rooms are nicely decorated inside with large modern walk in showers. The bed was very comfortable and a nice work area was in the room with fast internet connection and free. Also, nice bathroom amenities. The breakfast was not very good with rock hard biscuits and minimal gravy. Go to the diner down the street. Overall, a good property and would return if in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside room facing the pool
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
We are so glad you enjoyed your visit and thank you for your review! I'm very sorry that the breakfast you received did not match up to the rest of your experience; please know that we will use this comment to improve. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

We stayed for two nights at Paradox. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable. Check in was a breeze and the front desk was fantastic about getting taxis for us when needed. The location is great and there is plenty within walking distance.

I can only give four stars for the following reasons:The drain in our tub was clogged and we called the front desk to have it fixed while we were out of the room for the day. When we returned, it was clear someone had worked on the drain and left a bit of a yucky mess in the shower. The shower was still clogged and standing in several inches of water while you shower is pretty gross.

Also, they do not allow you to bring your own beverages to the pool. I mean any beverage. The lifeguard stopped me at the pool gate with my bottle of water and stopped my friend with a diet ginger ale. Seems a little silly but I guess they want the bar to make money? It kept us away from the pool as we didn't want to pay for water and diet soda.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the pool on the first floor are very nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Blue462
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thank you so much for your review! We are so pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay. I do want to apologize for the trouble you experienced with the drain, and that we did not fully repair the issue during your stay. Additionally, I'm sorry that our policy kept you from enjoying the swimming pool area. As a quick point of clarification, we do supply complimentary water at the pool, and I am so sorry this was not communicated to you. Again, I sincerely appreciate your review and feedback as it helps us in our quest to constantly improve. Your comments mean the world to us!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I stayed at the Paradox for 3 days for business. It was surprisingly nice for a former Holiday Inn, but it's understaffed and not set up for business travelers. If you're going for a vacation stay, most of the following may not apply. Here are the issues I had: 1) I wasn't given the wi-fi password at check-in. I called the front desk: no answer. I called the 800 help number listed on instruction card: no answer. It took 20 minutes of repeated calls to reach the front desk. 2) I called the night before to order an early room service breakfast. The agent I reached said they're not set up for that, but that he'd leave several notes for the morning crew. I called in the morning to confirm that my order was received -- it wasn't. I wanted breakfast at 7 because I had to leave at 7:30. Breakfast (just a bagel and coffee) arrived at 7:20. 3) Housekeeping was erratic: a full cleaning & new towels one day, just cleaning the next. They didn't have the usual signs encouraging reuse of towels to conserve water, despite being in a drought. 4) The finish on the desk in my room was peeling. 5) I was billed for someone's pool party. Only Accoubnting could resolve it. I left several voice messages for them, but there was no response. I finally called and asked to speak to a human in Accounting. That worked!

My room was on the top floor and faced away from the pool and the street. Also, it being mid-week, no one was staying in the adjacent rooms. It was nice and quiet, but your mileage may vary.

Pros: Great location, easy parking (at least mid-week), quiet room (at least mid-week), in-room coffee and mini-fridge, good linens and finishes (except for the desk), comfortable bed.

Cons: Not set up for business travel, understaffed. Noise and parking may vary during summer weekends. Also, whoever thought that river rocks make a nice shower floor should be fired. ;-)

Room Tip: Pick a top floor room away from the pool if you want to sleep.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Aredubyou
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for giving such a thorough review. We greatly appreciate your candid feedback, as it is critical for us as we evaluate our services. I apologize for the issues you encountered regarding service in both the restaurant and front office, and please know that we are using your comments to address these areas. I do hope that you will give us a chance to show our improvement should your travels bring you this direction again.
Sterling, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

I found this hotel to be a very good alternative when business takes me to Santa Cruz. Like many California locations the accommodations in Santa Cruz can be well beyond what our per diem standards allow. The Paradox was a welcome change. It is obviously an older hotel, but they have worked hard on updates to make the place clean and comfortable and modern. Although the rooms all open to the outside the room was quiet, the bed was excellent, and the bathroom modern and comfortable. The attached restaurant is pretty good, and was very much welcome as a place to catch a nice dinner after long travel from the east. The breakfast in the restaurant was particularly good. Looks like the athletic facility and pool are good, though my schedule did not allow me to take advantage of these. The neighborhood is not SC's finest, but the hotel clearly takes security seriously so I felt totally safe. I suspect this will be my standard hotel for my next business trip to Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: The mountain view room was quiet, away from the pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
We are so glad that you found us, and hope to be your hotel of choice when your travels bring you our direction! Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We stayed here for my birthday, which overlapped with Memorial Day weekend. Overall, I think we got what we paid for in terms of Santa Cruz hotels, but the amount we spent would have gotten us more in other cities, even ones such as Napa. However, in a city full of motel chains, it was nice to find a remodeled, more upgraded hotel like Paradox.

Pros:
+ Nicely upgraded: pebble-lined shower (no tub, at least in our unit)
+ Nice size for a couple
+ The room was clean
+ Lots of parking spaces
+ Decor and room were nice overall
+ Pretty central location: walking distance to downtown, Trader Joe's CVS, Acai bowl place, and 1 mile to the boardwalk
+ The room cleaning/maintenance staff was friendly

Cons:
- Parking isn't included ($10 - not a big deal)
- Pool and hot tub, along with the first floor of rooms, are reminiscent of a greek row frat praty environment (not necessarily a bad thing - might be a con for other people)
- Room entry door isn't flush/sealed at the bottom, which let in a lot of outside noise/people walking around, and not a great feeling of privacy
- Could hear bathrooms flushing everywhere around us, but otherwise the rooms were pretty quiet
- Right next to the hotel, there is a dicey looking park with equally dicey looking people right behind the park - not a big deal to me, but my girlfriend didn't feel safe when she decided to take a "shortcut" (you can't enter the hotel from that park, btw). The other side appears to be a police station though.

Room Tip: It's probably best to get a room that faces inward (toward the pool)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple