“Pool is for families, NOT for romantic couples”

Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection
Ranked #4 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were treated very well by the front desk at check in. They provided a free shuttle to the boardwalk and close locations which has really great. The shuttle driver Alex was very kind and knowledgable.

The room was clean and decorated in a modern way that was very relaxing. And the bed was very comfortable.

The problem I personally had with the hotel was the pool. Don't get me wrong, it is gorgeous. The music was chill and it had an awesome setup. But, at our afternoon arrival it was over run by kids. Of course, it's August and it is to be expected at any hotel pool, so my husband and I decided to return later after 9pm when we assumed most of the kids would have cleared out and we can enjoy a romantic adult couple evening. We were wrong.

The pool still had lots of children running around, but we still thought at least the large hot tub would be kid free. Nope. We honestly counted at least 10 children in the hot tub. And to top it off, there was an entire family enjoying their dinner of burgers & fries, while still standing in the hot tub. We could barely sit and relax without getting splashed by the kids so we had to leave.

Sigh. I really wanted to love this hotel, but unless I was bringing kids or NOT planning to enjoy the pool, I will not be returning again. I discovered they sell day and season passes for the pool. Good idea, but I really think they need to decide if they are going for an adult or family atmosphere.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

We are so glad that you stayed with us and happy to hear that overall you enjoyed the service and décor of the hotel. Please accept my apology that the ambiance at the pool was impacted from other guests and their children. I'm very sorry that this had a negative affect on your ability to enjoy this experience. Your feedback is critical as we evaluate our services. I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back again to enjoy an experience more typical of Hotel Paradox.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Enjoyed our stay at the Paradox. Easy check-in. Clean room even in the hard to get spots. We didn't get a chance to use the pool or pool service area but the area looked clean. We even happened to run into a staff member in the elevator and they asked if everything was going well and if we needed anything!! Above and beyond!! This is what makes a stay all the better!!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank momtravel4
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your experience! We're so happy to know you enjoyed your visit - please visit again soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

In a town of mostly cheap/depressing motels, this is a very good choice! The rooms are spacious modern and nicely designed, the pool area is nice, and the food was very good in the restaurant. It's also well located and convenient to everything. On the less positive side, I wasn't crazy about the barn door to the bathroom with no lock, the staff did not seem super experienced or helpful and the lobby is a bit dark and somber for my taste. But again, overall it's a good place to stay, and we'd probably stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

We are so glad that overall you enjoyed your stay and glad that you found the hotel to be just a little different than other properties in our city - that is what we strive for! Your comments on how we can improve are taken to heart, and I greatly appreciate your feedback. I hope to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have to agree with the name as it is fitting. The staff was very pleasant. The pool area was nice and I heard they have a party on Sundays. Yes, this may be the nicest place in Santa Cruz, but walking in some of the neighborhood nearby was sketchy and I grew up on Detroit. Get past a couple of blocks and you have an incredible breakfast place, The Buttery. Or keep walking to the Boardwalk. That was great and only a short walk, 15-20 minutes. This makes the hotel and location worth it. Not sure I would pay $4 bills though. So I feel good we got a deal. The rooms are somewhat nice. I really like the tile in the bathroom. However, the painted plywood access panel in the closet allows your clothes to be snagged. So be careful. We were with a larger group and they did allow us to get a bit loud in the bar. The bartenders were great. I assume other guests would write that a large group was loud. LOL ..... Downside; 1. we could not open our window shades as the heavy set maintenance/cleaning guy would look directly into our room EVERY time he walked by and we were in room 235 right by the maintenance stairwell. CREEPY!!!! 2. I requested a razor on Friday 2 hours before we had to leave for an event. On Sunday during checkout I was still waiting. 3. We wanted room service while we got ready for our event on Saturday. However we had no menu. So we called and requested one. Over an hour went by (the campus is not that by), we called the room service ordered. The food came...and then the menu came. So remember this is NOT San Francisco. I was confused thinking we were closer to SF, so also remember you are not going to get taxis or Uber as easily or quickly. Be patient.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

I enjoyed reading your detailed review, thank you for providing such a candid report. Your observations provide us exactly the type of information we need to guide us toward our goal of total guest satisfaction. We will certainly work on our timeliness and delivery of service. Again, thank you for all your feedback, and please visit us again should your travels bring you our way.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

This hotel , in many ways, is the best option in the city of Santa Cruz. The rooms are modern and attractively decorated and the pool and restaurant are well appointed. Its location makes access to both downtown and highways 1 and 17 very convenient. My partner and I have stayed here on quite a few visits to Santa Cruz, where I have family.
My issues with the Paradox are mainly irritations with the service. It is very PC and some of the staff are a bit 'trigger happy' with the rules, over common sense. A good example is their policing of the pool area. My children are 10 and 8 and very well behaved. After a swim they like to relax in the hot tub for a few minutes. On several occasions poolside staff have told them to get out of the hot tub as the hot water might be 'dangerous' for their health. It's a kind of passive-aggressive behavior that you really don't need when you are unwinding. I have even had them try to eject the kids from the hot tub when I have been in there with them, even though their safety sign says that kids under 14 should have an adult on hand.
Overall, I like the hotel but wish that the kind of nervous and junior attitude of the staff could be replaced with confident and consistently friendly service.

Room Tip: If you value a quiet evening and night get a room facing away from the pool. On many occasions I hav...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
JBaylor-GM, General Manager at Hotel Paradox, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Your very honest feedback is appreciated, and taken to heart. I am grateful for your comments regarding our staff response to the pool and spa rules. This is an important topic, and your impressions mean everything to us. Please be assured this will be discussed at length. We do hope to have the chance to welcome you back and demonstrate a true spirit of hospitality.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel is very clean, room was nice and friendly staff. Enjoyed our delicious drinks and appetizers while relaxing by the pool. Wait staff within the pool area very attentive. Nice fire pit to gather around and warm up a bit when the weather cools down. Great getaway for families, couples and singles. This will be our go to place whenever we visit the Santa Cruz area!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Natalie M

We are so glad you had fun with us while visiting Santa Cruz - please come again soon!