“Awful service, awesome food”

Surf Bistro and Bakery
Ranked #13 of 13 Bakeries in Santa Cruz
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Waitstaff
Description: opened only four monthswww.surfbistro.com
El Dorado Hills, California
“Awful service, awesome food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I went for breakfast. The place seems charming and small (maybe 15 tables) perfect for a quick yummy breakfast. We walked in and were seated. But no waters or menus were delivered. We waited and waited and finally walked up to the servers window and asked if we were supposed to order at the window. A waiter apologized and came to take our order. Shortly he returned with our coffee and water.

But sadly, that was the last we saw of him. We waited about 40 minutes for our breakfast (I got two blueberry pancakes, which was the special of the day, and my husband got the country breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage and biscuits. So a fairly run of the mill order, nothing fancy). Finally he got up to see if our breakfast was sitting in the window as we kept hearing the bell. Sure enough, it was.

The cook herself brought it to us. We needed silverware, the cook brought that too. I needed syrup, my husband walked to the window and got it himself. He ran out of water and just walked into the kitchen and helped himself. Nobody blinked an eye. Mind you, there were three waiters all busily doing things, but nobody seemed to be waiting on customers.

When we finished, nobody had ever asked if the meal was to our satisfaction or we needed anything, again my husband got up and found a waiter to ask for our check.

It was the strangest thing. 15 tables, 3 waitstaff, 2 cooks, and we did all our own serving (with the kind assistance of one of the cooks). The food was good, really good in fact. But the service was awful. It was the only time I've considered leaving no tip. I mean, we didn't really get service, so what tip is appropriate? But my sweet husband left 10%. They were very nice, he countered me, nobody was rude or unhelpful, they were just completely absent.

We'll debate between us a return trip for a long time. The food was worth a return, but the service? Yeah...no.

1 Thank ColleenQD

Dakar, Senegal
“Looks a little run down, but it is GOOD !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Yummy, very nice service, good food and easy on the wallet. Got the special of the day mahi mahi tacos and they were great. Also took away a raspberry granola bar, Awesome !! I will go back !

Visited June 2014
santa cruz
“Nice neighborhood cafe”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2013

Surprisingly empty on a early saturday evening, I had the brie and ham sandwich, quite good.
Homemade frys were a bit spicy, hot for my taste. Service was friendly and fast.
We will be returning.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Anne w
“Best food ever!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

Surf bistro is the best place to eat ! Eveyone nice & sweet there & the food is eat ! Also the beard is amazing its home made !

• Visited July 2012