“Good food”

Price range: US$0 - US$20
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 2 March 2014

A nice place to stop to eat after visiting the boardwalk & fairly reasonably priced. Recommend the onion strings and the burgers! The bathrooms were gender-neutral ("Robots" and "Zombies"), which I found very cool as I have never seen it at home.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Recommended by various vegetarian and vegan and gluten free Blogs as the best casual place to eat in Santa Cruz, I went here with expectations of having a reasonable lunch. I was not disappointed but neither was I pleasantly surprised. This is a no-frills experience; but what they do, they do well. My server was very helpful and explained that, because of the drought, water would be provided upon request, located a charging point for my laptop without requesting; just a great guy. I had the gluten free veggie burger and fries. Forgettable food, nice space: overall just fine.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Enjoyed a nice meal with some local organic beers. Dinner meal of burgers, incredible salads that were delicious, had plant-based protein. The proprietary "Saturn Pattie" was tasty, good texture and seasoning. Saw some amazing-looking vegan milkshakes go by on the waitstaff tray: would have ordered one if not enjoying beer. Good vibes, fun decor, good music, environment good for everyone (even children). Bathrooms were for "Robots" and "Zombies": found out that means unisex/just like at home :) Free parking available behind building, share lot with a health + beauty store.

Brunch menu looked good and had surprising variety for vegetarian/vegan. Will check that out the next time we're in SC.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

The decor is a fun, quirky, old-school diner. The staff was friendly, prompt, and helpful.

I felt that there was a decent selection on the menu and I was impressed by how well they catered to vegans and people with gluten sensitivities. I ordered the Space Cowboy burger but substituted the fake chicken patty for the black bean burger. It was good but not great. I've been a vegetarian for over 15 years and have definitely found imitation meats that taste like real meat but I didn't find that here. I did appreciate the size of my meal. All too often the portion sizes in the USA are double what I need. Saturn Cafe's portions are very reasonable.

All in all this is a good diner for both vegetarians and omnivores alike.

1  Thank Chingu2012
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This is one of my favorite places in Santa Cruz. It was a perfect place of compromise for my friends, some of whom are vegetarians and vegans. They have great fries, so the omnivores were pleased.
I feel that it's quintessential Santa Cruz, open late, veg and vegan options, eco-friendly, quirky, and delicious.
I don't know which type of visit to mark because I first visited with my mom, then later went here with groups of friends, on dates, and even studied here solo. It's great atmosphere, and the staff are so nice.

Also, there's a Suturn Cafe in Berkeley, CA; just as great.

1  Thank CourtUCSC