“Great location overlooking it all!”
Review of Seaway Inn

and 1 more site!
Seaway Inn
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

This place is literally a 3 min walk to the boardwalk and maybe 10 to downtown. It is one of the cheaper decent hotels but Santa Cruz is a bit pricey! We stayed in a upstairs renovated queen room and loved it! Comfy bed and awesome double headed shower! No hot tub/pool but the beach is just seconds away!

• Stayed: September 2012
BeachGazer176, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2013

Thank you for your review of our property! We are happy to hear that you liked the location that we are in as it is very easy to get all over this general area from here. We hope to see you the next time that you visit our area!

Reviewed 3 May 2013

Walking distance to the pier and boardwalk -Seaway Inn is a perfect place to stay in the summer. A bit of a hike to the shops downtown, though, and located on an awkward corner traffic wise.

Our room was small, but clean and the bed very comfy. Small fridge and coffee maker were nice touches. Would have been nicer to have somewhere to charge our phones besides the bathroom.

Breakfast room was lovely, with a nice selection of cereal and baked goods, toaster and a waffle station. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: In a two story motel like place I always choose the upper floor - bonus here is you can see the bay...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
BeachGazer176, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of our property! We are in the process of figuring out a way that we can safely add more electrical outlets to the room, as we are an older property. We hope to have that initiated by you next visit!
Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you, in the future.

Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

We decided to stay here again as it is such a great location to the boardwalk and wharf. 5 to 10 minute walk to both. The first time here our room was a bit small, so now with our daughter we opted for a larger room with a view. Room 221 right above the office. Has a great view of the ocean. 2 queen beds and a futon. It is a very large and functional room with a mini fridge. Worked perfect for us and the continental breakfast is great too.

• Stayed: April 2013
BeachGazer176, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2013

Thank you for your review of our property, on Trip Advisor. We are very happy to know that you came back to us again and look forward to seeing you, should you ever be in Santa Cruz, in the future.

Reviewed 15 April 2013

If you want a closet size room, like sleeping inside a closet ok. If you have any luggage you can't even walk by the luggage , this room was dirty, small and icky.
I was here in business and all rooms were booked due too some convention or something. I have a feeling they are writing their own reviews, lol. Because this place was just ICK.

Parking horrible. Clerk was well no eye contact and not interested. Just rude and horrible. Please don't even respond with your B.S. robotic "WE are so sorry we are so upset you had issues", because I never in my life will be in the position again, I will plan ahead from now on. ICK!!!

Room Tip: Avoid , really gross..
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelinTink

Guest did ask us not to respond; privately emailed guest.

Reviewed 27 March 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed our stay at the seaway inn Santa Cruz. The motel had a really laid back/surfer vibe with floral bedspreads and loungers on the balcony. We had a lovely view over the boardwalk from the room, and everything was easy stroll from the hotel. The bed was also huge and super comfortable! I think the nicest thing about the seaway overall was the laid back atmosphere - best experiences you can have are when the feeling is just "right"!

• Stayed: March 2013
BeachGazer176, General Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of our property on Trip Advisor. I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and the "laid back atmosphere." We very much hope to see you again, should you ever be in our area.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Went to this motel as the one across the road was full. Best decision we made as half the price and superb value for money. Staff extremely helpful and informative. Room was very spacious. TV not working so upgraded us without charge. Very clean. Close to pier and all local spots.

Highly recommended

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
BeachGazer176, Manager at Seaway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2013

Thank you for your response on Trip Advisor. That TV issue was taken care of a.s.a.p. and was happy to hear that you were immediately taken care of. We look forward to seeing you the next time you happen to visit Santa Cruz!

Reviewed 18 March 2013

I found a room online called "Queen Annex," and called to inquire. The guy working the phone was remarkably professional, warm, and welcoming. He was juggling another caller and a check-in at the time, but always conveyed how important MY time was - and went out of his way to accurately describe the room and all of the amenities available to guests. I was laughing and smiling before I even hung up the phone.

My friend and I stayed in the "Queen Annex," a sweet little studio apartment offsite from the hotel - and we LOVED it!! The location on Front Street is less than a block from the pier. Free parking in this area is rare, but included in the hotel rate, and right outside of the apartment!!! Location, location, location is everything to me in Santa Cruz. I want to be able to park the car until it's time to leave - and this place was absolutely perfect for that.

The room itself wasn't fancy, but it was impeccably clean and certainly had its charms. Queen bed, nightstands, a tv and desk in the main room. Full kitchen with full-size fridge, stove/oven, sink, microwave, and cute little bistro dining set was lovely, and CLEAN (aside from a few pans - which are the responsibility of the guests to wash, I believe). My only complaint about the kitchen set-up is that it wasn't really equipped for much more than very basic cooking, but that was okay. They might want to consider leaving guests more than one fork, one spoon, and one knife - although that might be fun for those on a romantic getaway . . . ?

I was also disappointed that we didn't get a chance to meet the charming man who booked our room. The woman who checked me out seemed rather preoccupied, and didn't even ask if we had enjoyed our stay. All I got was, "Do you want to keep that on the same card?," and "Would you like a receipt?" Okay. But it was a shame, because I was prepared to tell her how much we loved it (and to suggest at least one more set of utensils), if only she had asked. Oh well.

All in all, though, from someone who travels A LOT, this was a really nice experience. If you prefer newer furnishings, and don't care about a kitchen, their main, onsite rooms look lovely. This sweet little studio was perfect for our stay, and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your wonderful review, of our property, on Trip Advisor. I was sorry to hear that you only had 1 set of utensils, as we usually have at least a couple of sets since those particular rooms can sleep two people, and you should not have had to wash dirty dishes that were not dirtied by you, that is our staff's responsibility. I will make sure to take care of those issues immediately!
I was sorry to also hear that you were not asked how your stay was, as we usually make a habit out of asking, so we can take care of any issues that may have disturbed your stay or made your stay better; our guest input is the most important input that we get, as you are the ones that stay in those rooms. I will make sure to reiterate with my staff that that question is a very important one, when a guest is checking out, and should be the first question asked.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to our area.