“Don't Let The Looks Fool You!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Carousel Beach Inn
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
APO, AE
“Don't Let The Looks Fool You!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

When I first arrived at the motel with my 4-year old daughter, my first thought was, "There is no way I am going to feel safe in this place." I went in with the idea of canceling my reservation and looking for somewhere else. I'm completely change my mind however, when I was greeted by an amazingly sweet and helpful young man working the front desk. We were given our room number (102) and I felt a little bit better about being behind a locked gate. The room was standard but sufficient for what we needed it for.

- Service: Excellent! The young man working the desk around 4pm on August 27 2013 was very sweet and helpful. I mentioned that we were headed straight down to the beach and he gave me a bag for me in case I needed an extra one to carry our stuff, which was a nice touch. He answered all my questions about tickets versus wristbands for the boardwalk and I felt like he actually cared that we enjoyed our stay.

- Value: Very good! A very reasonably priced hotel for the location.

- Sleep Quality: Very good! Our patio was on the street-side and we could hear some noise, but it wasn't terrible.

- Cleanliness: Very good! The room was clean, which is all I care about. It's a bit dated, but that was to be expected.

- Location: Excellent! Location, location, location! Being able to step out the hotel entry way and be right across the street from the entrance to the Boardwalk was AWESOME. I grew up going to the Boardwalk every summer and this was the first time I was able to take my daughter. Having the convenience of being able to easily get back to our room when she got tired was great! We were able to park our car in the hotel parking lot and walk everywhere very easily.

- Rooms: Average! It was a bit stuffy in our room. I didn't see an AC unit but they did have a fan. We really wanted to sleep with the patio sliding door open but the noise and my concerns for safety didn't allow for that. We didn't come here expecting the Ritz or anything so it met our (low) expectations.

If you're coming to the Boardwalk with the intention of being on the beach all day and on the Boardwalk and want quick and easy access, this is the hotel for you. That's exactly what we expected and exactly what we got.

Right now, there is active construction going on and construction hours are 0730 until 1630, so be aware of that.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Rachel T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Korean first
Hanford, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

The hotel is right across the street from the boardwalk!! It was great to be able to go back to hotel to get my sweatshirt and be back to the boardwalk in a couple minutes. As for the hotel, it's nothing to write home about but it's clean and we felt safe. There is also a breakfast offered. Parking is very limited, but you can park across the street for free if there is no more parking on hotel premises. If you park your car in hotel parking, you can keep it there until 1 pm the next day which was great because we went back to the boardwalk before we left!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank tekkygirl
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

Location, location, location! This hotel is all about the location. It's right across the entrance to the Boardwalk. Close to the wharf and Beach Street. The condition of the building and rooms are a different story. During my stay the outside temperature was 80+ but inside the hotel always felt damp. The rooms need updating. The carpets, floors, and bathtub were dirty. The towels smelt after one use - I don't know why. We microwave oven in the room was very very old. The management should really think about replacing the microwave ovens. The breakfast: bagels, OJ (mixed with water), and muffins. And yes, they had tea and coffee available 24/7 in the breakfast room.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ek_jajabor
Reuver, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

not a expensive hotel just in front of the boardwalk.
Even the pier and the towncenter are within a walking distance.
Don't expect luxury or anything fancy at this hotel.
Just a good hotel at a reasonable price, that's all there is to say.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank kuebke
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2013

This hotel is all about location. It is 1 minute walk to the entrance of the Boardwalk and Beach. The hotel is 2 star standard with basic rooms but plenty big enough in size making it ideal for a weekend in Santa Cruz, it was also clean.

Breakfast is included but is very basic with just fruit, bagels and cake to eat, no cereals etc are on offer. Tea / Coffee / Juice is also available with Coffee available 24x7.

On booking the hotel we could find no availablity on any of the main booking sites but was able to book it direct with the hotel. We requested a room with a balcony but was given a ground floor room with a outdoor area which had a 6 foot wall around it offering no view and making it feel like a prison. I did ask if we could move to a higher floored room with a balcony. I was told I would have to pay more for this, it did not mention that on the web site.

For approx $120 per night we were happy with that due to the location plus parking is free. Car's have to be out of the car park by 1pm on departure day. I did ask if I could pay to leave the car a few more hours as we wanted to use the beach all day as it was a very hot weekend but I was told no beacuase they were busy. On returning back to the car at 1 there was 4 other cars in the car park, it was empty!.

Santa Cruz is beautiful and very clean, not trashy like other review has mentioned. Broadwalk is spotless and the beach has no litter at all with it being cleaned daily.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank swiltshire71
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

The Carousel is easy to find, and close to the boardwalk attractions of Santa Cruz. I was here solo- I parked my car when I arrived and was able to walk every where I wanted to go during the afternoon and evening. Great location for the Boardwalk and the wharf. Clean and staffed with helpful front desk staff. I will come back!

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2013

After spending a few days at the Carousel Motel, in Santa Cruz..... I would stay there again. A friend had advised us not to stay there but we didn't listen! :) We had to have had the best room in the place! A big deck and a view of the Boardwalk! Room 212!!!! The motel itself is a little old, but we had NO ISSUES AT ALL!!!! Parking can be a little tight, but again no problems! You are right across from the Boardwalk, Beach and Pier. A short drive to the Mystery spot.

Room Tip: Get room 212, Right above the office, Corner room, view of the Boardwalk and Beach and has a BIG dec...