“Great fun, great food!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Hadn't been to a hibachi style restaurant for a long time. Not sure why I've waited so long. This was a very nice surprise and a very good meal. We had a little trouble with the check but they were very apologetic about the mistake and corrected it willingly. The hibachi chef was great fun.

Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Outside looked pretty bad but inside was updated. Lots of good sushi choices. Loved all of them! Going to tell friends and family. Will go back!

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Had a great time with friends and business associates! The hostess seated us within minutes of our arrival (we had reservations), then the server came shortly after to take our orders. The food was brought out raw to be prepared right there in front of us. The chef at our table was entertaining. He flipped a raw, in-the-shell egg on the spatula, making it do somersauts, then flipped it into his pocket, all without cracking the shell! Then he entertained us with the flaming grill and cooking our food right there in front of us. The smell was marvelous even before we tasted a thing. The prices were very reasonable, and there was no rush to get us out of there. We had a great time. Lots of good food, good entertainment. This is definitely a place to go for groups. I understand that they have a lunch time menu, also, that is not the showcase the dinner is. Will come back!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

So honestly, I waited to visit twice to review this place. There are some REALLY horrible YELP reviews, and they were confirmed by a friend who visited just a week ago. Funny thing is, is that she saw a friend at Sake at the same time she was there and her friend had a flawless experience while her experience (at the same time) was not great.

But, both times I have been, everything in the hibachi grill has been perfect.

When you walk in, you have a choice to be seated at the sushi bar or the hibachi grill section. You may still order sushi at the hibachi grill, but really, the hibachi grill is for the EXPERIENCE as well as the food. I had a great experience at the bar, having hot sake while waiting for my friends. Service was fast and very friendly.

When my party of seven arrived, we were quickly seated. Tip: Get RESERVATIONS in advance (especially for large parties on weekend nights). The staff told me that our time of 6:30 was IDEAL because their rush starts at 7:00pm, and sure enough, when we departed at 8:00pm, the bar/waiting area was PACKED with people waiting to get inside. This was on a Saturday night.

Our entire table did notice one thing: that the show put on by the chef depends ENTIRELY on the attitude of the guests. And, this makes sense. A good chef/performer's job is to read the guests and find out what they like and don't like. We did witness a table of complete sour-puss guests and the chef did his job and prepared their food. However, our table was out to have fun and our chef added a GREAT show (thanks, Lou! and previously, thanks Leo!). We never laughed so hard with our interactions with the chef.

There is a Sake supreme for two people...a GREAT value for only $59.00 which includes soup, salad, rice, chow-mein noodles, lobster tail, shrimp, scallops, filet mignon and chicken. Unless you are famished, you will be asking for a to-go box. Tip: My friend and myself did not like scallops, so they let us substitute more shrimp, instead!). The filet mignon is SUPER tender. This last visit, I had the filet mignon combination with salmon and was NOT disappointed.
Service was super prompt. Soup and salad arrived very promptly and then the chef appeared to prepare our meals.

Bar: Wine and beer only.

All in all, we had a superb time...having Sake streams shot into our mouths. Having the chef pop zucchini chunks into our mouths from a distance.

We will ALL be coming back and anticipate having a wonderful time, once again.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We took a chance and tried this new place. We all enjoyed our choices. Since I was a guest, I did not get the check. I know I had a steak combo and loved it. All were Happy with their choices, even our vegetarian. I am not fond of Sake, so I had wine and was pleased with the house choice. It is a showy dinner, but there were several families present and all were having fun. Noticed that on the weeknight we were there, the sushi bar and the wait bar were empty. Hope they build a good reputation and stay. I plan to stop again on my return to Santa Cruz.