“Good value. Good location. Will be back!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bay Front Inn

Bay Front Inn
Ranked #34 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
New York City, New York
“Good value. Good location. Will be back!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2011

A great find just 3 minutes' walk from the centre of Santa Cruz. The bay front inn is a traditional motel that's been updated with bright fresh and fairly minimalist decor, comfortable beds and crisp white bedlinen. Big flatscreen tv's.
At $ 60-80 a night we thought it was amazing value for money and a brilliant alternative to other tired motel rooms within the same price range.
Complementary coffee, muffins and fresh fruit were available in reception in the morning, and an in-room folder suggests favourite local eateries, bars and sights to see. Reception staff were also very helpful offering more suggestions when we checked in. We didn't bring our dog, but next time we will they even had doggy treats in the lobby.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank lance g

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Fairfield, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

We came to Santa Cruz for a family mini vacation.. The outside appearance of the hotel was very clean and beautiful.. Some rooms have been remodeled, some haven't. Ours wasn't. I arrived in Santa Cruz at 1:40 p.m. tried to check in they said the room wasn't ready and said to come back at 3pm. so we went to the boardwalk walked around a bit. Went back at 3 and they told me it would be another hour so reluctantly I stayed in the parking lot with my family and waited. By the way the parking lot is tiny and even tho the sign on the pool fence says "Parking for ALL hotel guests" don't count on it being available. We had a suite and it held up to 6 people well my family had 4 and brother and his fiance came and they wouldn't allow them to park there even tho they were paying guests as well..1st strike. When we were finally able to check in we were greeted by this lame cocky punk at the front desk He was rude, and such a smart mouth.. and so on.. so paid my money and got into the room... Let's see I had a broken AC unit right outside my door that was just left there probably due to laziness.. fabulous right?! then the room just ok.. my tv broke 4 hours into the evening and couldn't do anything about it, dirty towels, and the fridge froze all the stuff I put into it.. All in all thank God I only had to stay one night because I sure as hell couldn't handle 2.. Totally recommend going ANYWHERE else.. even the hotels that have prostitutes there because it would at least be worth your money! I think the family that owns it definitely needs to rethink their service and employees, and maybe sell the place and go somewhere where you might succeed!! Cause you SUCK!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Jackie0385
rzavar, General Manager at Bay Front Inn, responded to this review, 16 August 2011
Jackie, thank you for writing us a review. Admittedly, when we are busy our free-parking does become limited, so we can only allow one vehicle per room to park. Nevertheless, I apologize for our parking and ask if you give us another opportunity so that next time i may personally reserve you parking, near us, for your family. We do try to create positive experiences but can sometimes fall short of expectations, however your feedback does help us get better, thanks again for your review

San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2011

I booked the reservation for my boyfriend and I to visit an old friend of his, and see where he lived at the height o his rock and roll days. He recommended the Pacific Coast Lodge but I couldn't get us in there so went with the place next door. For over $200 including tax, this place is disgusting. The room was a basic motel room from $30 a night days. It was clean so we felt OK about sleeping there but the bed was over stiff and saggy at the same time.

the next morning, my boyfriend opened the shower door and the hardware fell off in his hand, almost ripping his skin. then to make matters worse, there was no hot water for our morning showers.

NO NOT BOOK HERE

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CognitoSF

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Hillsborough, New Hampshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

I had stayed here once before & was happy with the room & so I reserved another room for a night in June. I was unable to make it do to a family emergency & had to cancel the day before I had made my reservation for. I noticed I had still been charged the $128 a couple day's later & called to check on the reason why. The manager was not avail. & was told he'd be calling in the next 2 day's. Near the end of the second day I'd still not recieved a call but had noticed the charge was removed from my account, all's well. 2 week's later I noticed the avail. amount on an ATM reciept was off, so upon checking my account, the charge had re-appeared a couple day's after it had been removed & so I called to check why. In the next 4-5 day's & countless call's, I talked to every employee about the issue @ least once, but the manager was the only one who could resolve the issue but just would not get on the phone. He was even at the counter telling the person on the phone what to say once & yet would not get on the phone. Apperently there's a 48 hour cancellation rule or they will still charge for the room & according to what I was told, it was stated on there web site--It wasn't because I checked twice & had 2 other people check in case I missed it--nope, not there! The manager FINALLY got around to calling because I was not letting it go & said the rule was stated on my e-confermation & when I said I didn't get one, his answer was "oh well, the rule still holds" & if I wanted a refund, I neede to fax him proof of emegency. Um, really? When can I expect something in writting that show's your pollicy regarding the 48 hr. rule? You can't was pretty much the answer, so i'm S.O.L.
"Buyer beware" of shady managment practices if you decide to stay @ this motel!!!! I won't be back!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Ed S
danthemanTheBay, General Manager at Bay Front Inn, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
I am glad to see you were happy with your previous stay with us; my sincerest apologize for the late response on the recent incident. We typically don't experience these incidents, however I did communicate with our staff about stating our cancellation policies to guests. We also understand how life, just--well-, happens! Which is why, we allow guests to use cancellation charges towards any future stay with us. We invite you to contact us directly should you wish to discuss this further

We appreciate your comments, which help us get better.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2011

The staff at the bay front inn were so accommodating. I booked 2 rooms at this hotel one for me and my boyfriend and another for friends. I called at 11:00pm and they let my two friends who had been driving all night have an immediate check in. No other hotel would do that. When I arrived late at night the guy at the receptionist was very nice and helpful. Great location. Small rooms but wood floors and nice hdtv's, great for a couple. I really enjoyed the boutique hotel feel.

Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrAmazingDude
Redondo Beach
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

I made a reservation for my wife to stay at the Bay Front Inn for two days. I asked for a confirmation email-three times. And when my wide went to check in, SURPRISE! There was no reservation. Total Incompetence. I called three times to confirm the reservation. I asked for a confirming email three times. NO Reservation. Well, guess what-they'll never get a second chance from me. or any of my friends.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Reviewjunkie70
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

Can you say amateur hour? My boyfriend and i stayed here for a last minute getaway for two days. This hotel had horrible service. Our room was not refreshed with towels or new amenities. When calling front desk after returning from being gone all afternoon the lady was very rude when i asked if there was a maid service. They promised to offer a better offer then a third party company, then at check-in claimed to not have authorization to do so.  Front desk staff has a horrible attitude. The rooms were bare bones. Aside from the new flat screen the room falls very short of expectations. Walls are paper thin... With a pet friendly hotel one can imagine falling asleep to yapping dogs. Never coming back to this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Gilmodan
Thank your for your comments, i was trully distressed to hear of the issues you encountered, which by no means experience we provide, Please accept our proffuse appologices. We are in the process of updating our guest services guide to reflect our current polices. We feel we provide good value and prompt service to our guests, but it seems we fell short in your case. I sincerely apologize,

GM