“Awful dinner”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Cooper street
Transit: Metro bus station 1 block away.
Description: Old world charm in the heart of Santa Cruz, authentic Italian cuisine with an extensive wine list and a full bar. Open for lunch and dinner as well as brunch on weekends. Ample public parking.
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Read all these raving reviews so decided to eat here. Mistake! Should have known when no one had heard of the place and then we were the only people eating dinner there it was a warning to run! Reviewed the menu and asked the waiter about the crepes filled with butternut squash and parm cheese, with a bechamel sauce. He RAVED about the crepes. Now, I pictured delicate crepes with some filling rolled up and covered with a creamy asiago sauce. What I got was two 'tacos' (meaning the crepes were folded in half and overpowered by too much heavy tasteless filling) stuffed with about 2 cups of squash on a too small plate sitting in a table spoon of sauce. When I asked for more sauce, the waiter brought me some marinara sauce... At that point we just gave up. My husbands dish was equally dismal and disappointing. We are from the NY/ Philadelphia area so we know what good Italian food is. This is NOT good Italian food. The menu sounds fabulous, just need a chef that knows how to cook. In the end we were out $50 and walked over to Trader Joes to get some fruit to eat... Sad!

2  Thank EveF123
Andream0120, Owner at Cafe Mare, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2013

Hello there, my apologies if you didn't like your meal, i appreciate your feed back, one suggestion for the future if you are not liking your dish sand it back and order something else this is what we are here for, is to help our costumers, if the server is not helping you ask for the manager/owner,i am always present to help and solve costumers, questions and problems.The crape dish is one of our most liked dishes, and its been on the menu for over 11 years but that doesn't mean that you have to like it, we all have different taste, pleasures and we all like different thinks, so my most respect to you i am sorry i wish i could of fix this problem for you !
Regards,
Andrea Mura at Cafe Mare Restaurant.
PS sorry for my grammar.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Had dinner on a Saturday night here, the food is excellent Italian, the bar is great and the bartender does not use generic mixes, he makes drinks by hand. The whiskey sour is the best in Santa Cruz. Whil eit was crowded and the wait staff was shorthanded, service was impeccable, and my salmon pasta dish was outstanding.

Reviewed 21 June 2013

We were here with a party of 18 on graduation weekend, along with multiple large parties. The staff was great, adding an extra table to our group to give us more room. The waitress was helpful, knowledgeable, and friendly. The environment was festive. The food -- I heard no complaints from any of our party -- was good and the staff was able to make me a great jalipeno margarita. Parking was free next door. I'd definitely go back again.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We were there to celebrate UCSC graduation. They were very busy. Nonetheless we had a great time and great food and wine nice atmosphere.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

The dining room is surrounded by glass windows and is below street level making for a nice ambience. All the food was quite good. My wife had the special red snapper and was thrilled with it. I had the Zuppa de Mediterraneo, with prawns, calamari, mussels, clams and scallops in a tasty broth which is actually a soup. Delicious. My son had gnocchi with Prawns in a cream sauce and his girlfriend had the gnocchi in tomato sauce and they both loved them. all the other dishes- bruschettas, salads, and pastas were also very tasty. the desserts- tiramisu and panna cotta were outstanding. The service was outstanding despite the fact that this was dinner on Father's Day! Glad to have found this place!