“Drinks expensive... Food great”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Ideal Bar & Grill

Ideal Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Ideal Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 369 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, View, Kids
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
“Drinks expensive... Food great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

$6 a beer ... Ouch
However food was top quality so go there, enjoy the view, the food, the experience and drink water.
Santa Cruz is a top place. Sea and Sand hotel is the perfect hotel while there.

Visited May 2013
1 Thank NyallM

“Great Dining by the Sea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I am always weary of seaside dining. Many restaurants think they can skip the quality and charge more because they have the view. This is not the case with Ideal Bar and Grill. We are local and have been to Ideal twice. Both times everyone at the table really enjoyed their meals. In fact my son's father said it was the best pasta he had ever eaten. The service is excellent some of the best I've had in Santa Cruz. The prices are a bit on the high side but large portions, excellent food, great service and beautiful views of the ocean and the Boardwalk make Ideal a value. We look forward to our next visit.

• Visited April 2013
Moscow, Idaho
“Ask drink prices first”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

Great location on the beach right at the beach, boardwalk and pier. Features dining rooms, bar and outdoor seating. Prices are modest at $10-13 entrees. We had breakfast. The food was above average. Service was prompt, courteous, and pretty but coffee refills were slow. Seemed they wanted to sell you alcoholic drinks. When I got the bill I saw why. The large bloody mary came out to just barely under $10 each, with tax. Yeah, they charge tax on bar drinks here. In fact, on all the drinks. The coffee was $3 a cup. My little kids orange juice was $3.50 each! The drinks were as much as the food! Breakfast for two adults, two children, 1 drink per adult, was $80. The drinks were what did it. Of course, their prices aren't posted anywhere. I didn't appreciate that. I'll pass this place on my next visit to SC.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank KLCardwell
bedford
“This place could be amazing.... But isn't !”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were in Santa Cruz for 1 night after a 2 week trip around California before flying back to the uk . We both really fancied lobster and chose this place as it was on special the night we went . The place is big with amazing views over the sea but grubby , smelly and in need of a clean up ! The waiter was kind and attentive and a credit to the restaurant but that's where the positive ends . The starter of coconut shrimp was ok but served with a limp , past it salad . The lobster was small , tough and over cooked . It was served with cold over cooked vegetables and bland over cooked rice ! I couldn't eat any of the meal. To be fair the manageress ( I think ) offered to substitute the veg and rice but it would just be the same . So I was offered a plate of fries . The poor waiter looked bitterly embarrassed and did his best . It seems the food is frozen or pre cooked and reheated . Such a shame for our last night is such a beautiful state and beach resort .

• Visited April 2013
“Lots of seating both inside and out - right on the beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

We ate here twice during our short stay to Santa Cruz. Once for lunch outside in the sunshine and once in the evening inside. Food is great, staff are happy and helpful. Good value for money.

Visited April 2013