“What a rip off!!!”
Review of Hotel Solares

Hotel Solares
Ranked #38 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We booked two nights, using tripadvisor, during our 2 week road trip around California. From the reviews and their website, we had high hopes for our short stay. But unfortunately it all went wrong the moment we got there. We were 40 mins passed check in time, and our room wasn't ready. When we did in our room, it was really dated and run down, the bath had lot of paint rubbed off, there were big chips out of the wall. The pool area was a massive let down. the towels were tiny, pool was freezing and it all needed a good lick of paint.
Normally, we're not big on complaining and are used to roughing it. But we both felt massively let down because it cost soo much!!! What ever you do, stay away!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BigSammy82

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Well maintained, large rooms with windows and balconies looking outward and not along walkways. Nice pool and 2 hot tubs. Walking distance to beach, Boardwalk and downtown area. Only problem was WiFi very weak.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank SandiBsf
Reviewed 17 July 2011

This review is coming from a family that spends at least a few weekends every couple of months in Santa Cruz. We have stayed at many hotels in the area.

This place...has soooo much potential! Let me begin by saying that the two managers on duty....should own this place. If they did..I can imagine that this hotel could easily become a great family resort.

We booked through priceline with taxes...157 a night...ouch right? Well, its summer, its Santa Cruz...and really that's a pretty good price for a hotel that is within walking distance of the boardwalk.

HOWEVER....

We checked in early, room 110. There was work going on in the parking lot, they were taking out trees...which I hope and pray are being removed because the new Days Inn label going up on this hotel is requiring massive renovation?

Back to room 110, or the dungeon whatever you would like to call it...I would have taken pics, but I was scared to take anything out of my bag.

Any room on the first floor has a sliding glass door that goes out into the main parking lot...totally unsafe in my opinion!

We turned on the light, and ran out the door!

The walls were seriously stained and DISGUSTING, the blinds I am sure many MANY years ago were white, they were now BLACK and disgusting! The drapes were half hung up, and there were bugs. no joke on the floor in the bathroom...which smelled like urine...the carpet was completely disgusting!

We left and went to the front desk, where the girl working there politely told us that because we were so graciously given an early check in...this was the only room available! SERIOUSLY???? Why would you even think of putting ANYONE in there?!

The manager over heard me saying how disgusting it was...came with me and went into the room, he was embarrased at the nastiness, and within 15 minutes we were moved to the 3rd floor, where thankfully a clean room was available.

Clean, sufficient TOTALLY not worth almost 200 dollars though...even with the knowledge of expense around the area this time of year.

I am so sick of being taken advantage of by crappy hotels, I am sure that if I started a travel blog, I would find many people in agreeance with me...just because it is the norm to charge up the ying yang because everyone else is doing it...come on, where is the pride in giving people what they pay for? The manger shared with me that most people with dogs get room 110...again....do dog people like filth?

I own a dog, that I take on vacation with me many times we get stuck in the dungeon rooms, and it makes no sense at all! You are also charged a cleaning fee most times...it is almost animal lover discrimination! To think that filth is fine IF you have a dog? I mean come on people!

The pool area is ok, its wet, there are some chairs to sit in the sun, a few of them with some of the slats missing so you sort of fall through the holes when you are sitting on it, there are two little spas..some green grass and a fountain that could be lovely if some painting were done.

Breakfast? The boys got some because they made it before the line formed...the line, yes that went around the whole lobby as there was one waffle maker.

We walked off the elevator to be greeted by the manager (WHO SHOULD BE THE OWNER) asking how everyone's fun was...the energy I did not have, as I was awake most of the night praying to God that bed bugs did not eat our legs off. There were no obvious bed bugs, but the filthy digs...just made me picture them hiding in all dirty little crevices.

Hotels in Santa Cruz...just because you are close to the beach, you should take care of hard working families who just want a place to take their families, and enjoy a vacation that many of us work really, really hard for...to be checked into some craphole dungeon and pay the price we paid...is really, truly sad on your part....it is taking advantage of good people!

And for goodness sake....people with dogs, love their animals, and pay the price to have them stay overnight with them....sticking them in dungeon rooms, filth and having the thoughts that this is ok...well IS NOT OK....

I wish the managers could have the attention to detail that I know they desire, they are good people and seem to genuinly care for the families visiting....let them tell you what they need to get this place set up, to delivery service, cleanliness and a home away from home!

Too bad...this place with some paint, some good cleaning....could really make for a nice getaway destination...yet, in the parking lot...was a convention before we left of about 9 people all wanting to go demand their money back for the nastiness of their rooms...everyone decided instead to get their litttle bit of justice by coming on here and telling you all to either; stay here and see what you get or....wait until winter when the hotel rates are 60% cheaper!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank MissGoldenPoppy
Reviewed 8 July 2011

We just had a wonderful weekend for our anniversary at this inn. We come to this place every summer to take the kids to the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. When the kids are not enjoying the boardwalk and beach, they are relaxing by the pool and hot-tubs. The rooms have plenty of space and our clean. The staff is very professional and polite. The security gates in parking lot at night are a plus. The kids also enjoy the continental breakfast every morning in the lobby. The parents also enjoy this because we can sleep in.

Room Tip: I would reccomend a poolside view! It is an excellent site to enjoy a view of the boardwalk at night...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jimlisaw95336
Reviewed 22 June 2011

We stay here often when visiting Santa Cruz and we have been season pass holders at the boardwalk for many years. The pool is nice and heated and there are two spas, which is very nice. For breakfast they have a waffle maker and the usual cereal, toast, bagels, fruit, juice, coffee, hot chocolate, which is nice for a family. It is satisfying and does not require going out to breakfast. It is only three blocks to the boardwalk, which is an easy walk. The rooms are clean and the beds are good for a night or two. Our family of four especially enjoys the honeymoon suite with its Roman soaking tub, separate toilet and sink and additional vanity and sink. The walk-n closet is also nice so all the luggage isn't cluttering up the room. I recommend this motel to families looking for convenience to the beach and boardwalk at a reasonable price. It is a kid pleaser in my family.

Room Tip: Best summer rates are Sun - Thurs.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank KLRPRPL
Reviewed 20 June 2011

The staff is very friendly and accomadating to its customers. I stay here every visit I make to Santa Cruz and am never disappointed. Dianna (the front desk agent during afternoons) is very helpful and has a great heart.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 13 June 2011

This hotel is very expensive for what you get. It was noisy and in need of repair. There were several mix-ups with the reservation and a long l;ine to check out. It was also in a shady part of town. I would never stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family