“Perfectly fine, large room, Santa Cruz hotels are PRICEY!”
Review of Hotel Solares

Hotel Solares
Ranked #39 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 26 September 2011

I am always blown away by how much hotels in Santa Cruz cost. I have stayed at a brand-new Intercontinental in Monterey, a lovely Kimpton property in San Francisco, and at the Beacon Hotel on the Upper West Side of Manhattan for about what a plain-old outdated motel in Santa Cruz costs. But we need to go there about once a year for some kind of sporting event and this is the place my sister-in-law booked. so, even though our Saturday night room was $188 with taxes, it was perfectly fine. Good location a couple of blocks from the boardwalk (seedy neighborhood? OK, well, I'm not sure where the tony neighborhoods are in SC, but I guarantee they aren't within walking distance of the Boardwalk. I went for a run at 7 am by myself and I'm a woman - no seeds bothered me.)

The hotel has plenty of parking and is easy to get to. Our second floor room was very large, had a small balcony, a view of pool, and was dated, but clean. We had a adjoining room with my husband's sister, who had a small dog. She was not given a yucky dirty room because she had a dog - her room was just like ours. The front desk staff was extremely friendly and helpful. They had a make-your-own waffle breakfast station with bagels and cereal, pastries and juice. As always, bring your own coffee, cream and real maple syrup. This is a must no matter where you stay. They also have a little grassy area where families can barbecue.

The property is definitely dated. The pool is smallish and there are two very eighties-style jacuzzi tubs with the old cracked blue tile (3 people max) but they were hot, clean and had awesome jets. The tiny glass elevator is slooooow so we usually took the stairs. There is a very groovy fountain-waterfall-pool thingy that just looks very much like something someone on Jersey Shores would have installed in the late-seventies. Cute and pretty water noises, but completely useless. The beds had those scratchy polyester coverlets, the mini-blinds were bent and our bathroom was awaiting new paint (they had primer up in sections.) The bathtub plug did not seal well and since I had tape on my foot I needed to take a bath instead of a shower - felt bad running water down the drain for something that a plumber could easily fix (manager - room 118 - fix the tub plug). One of the bulbs in the bathroom was out.

The most obvious area that needs to be addressed is the lack of outlets. There was one outlet between the beds that was in use by the lamps and the clock. Sis ended up unplugging her clock so she could play her iPod. One in the bathroom, in use by the hairdryer - so I plugged my phone in there but water and phones don't mix so it was dicey. The only other outlet was behind the bureau and had a multi-plug strip that was full with TV, lamp and coffeemaker - but the coffee cord was too short and we had to put the coffeemaker on the floor to get it to reach. I know this will be an expensive fix for the owner, but with everyone needing to charge their phones and other accessories these days, you have got to provide outlets.

There was a TV, I think it was small and not-flat-screen - I don't watch TV on vacation usually so I didn't notice it.

We had a nice swim at the pool and got out just in time...unfortunately there was a kids' soccer tourney in town, as well as a cheer contest, so we got to hear Marco! POLO! over and over again until about nine at night. The pool closes at ten but some of the parents were partying a bit in their rooms with the doors open (I guess the kids had separate rooms and they wanted to be available for them) so I finally had to go across the hall and ask them to please close their doors as we had to be up at five. Everyone was nice and as soon as the doors were closed the sound was good, pretty quiet for a motel. They all seemed to be having a good time.

Personally, I will not stay at this hotel again, but only because the location doesn't work for the events we go to SC for: triathlon and marathon. We need to be on the other side of the river closer to the start. My sister-in-law, however, loves the place because they are pet-friendly and her silly 4-pound rat terrier can wander around the pool deck and no one cares. (No one can see him, he's so small. He did find popcorn under the bed - note to maids: vacuum under the beds!). But it is a very nice family place, low-key and clean and friendly.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing pool are quieter. Ice machines are on 1 and 3.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank keeptahoeblue
Michael C, General Manager at Hotel Solares, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2011

I appreciate reviews like this; I think they give the traveler the best picture of what to expect at our hotel. Yes, the building is not new. Yes, at the end of a busy summer season, there is some natural wear and tear. But also, yes, we are trying each day to improve the property and continue togive families and travelers a safe, comfortable place to stay in Santa Cruz.

And, yes, my staff is terrific.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Solares

Reviewed 18 September 2011

We stayed in about 10 different hotels during our road-trip around California in late 2009. I kept the leaflet from this hotel and kept saying I'd write a review because we thought it was a good place. Almost 2 years later, here it is! Our room was really spacious, not dirty, we were on the top floor and had a balcony over the pool. Breakfast was a basic affair but this is similar to most hotels/motels we stayed in. The staff were pleasant and we felt safe. The other reviews make out it's a total dive, far from it.

Room Tip: Top floor room overlooking the pool was a good choice
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 528BenC

Glad to hear it. We liked having you.

Reviewed 16 September 2011

Nice and confortable hotel, the room was very big and clean.

• Stayed: August 2011

Working on ways to make it even more comfortable the next time you're in town. Thanks.

Reviewed 1 September 2011

We were on the 3rd floor had a balcony over looking the Boardwalk. At night you could see the lights and hear people scream. Our room was very clean, great service. The staff was extremely helpful. Kids loved the pool so we decided to stay an extra day and before we left we booked the same room for next year. Continental breakfast was good. Just a great experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

There's a lot of see and do around Santa Cruz. About 20 percent of our guests registered for one night end up sticking around for a second or third. Hopefully, that's also a reflection on the value we're trying to provide.

Reviewed 30 August 2011

I booked first then looked at reviews on Trip Advisor, so I was a bit worried being with a kid, however when we arrived we got a great room on the second floor. We were to stay two nights but stayed three. Micheal the manager was very helpful and got us a new clock when ours did not work. The staff were very friendly, helpful and the continental breakfast was better than most I have ever seen which usually amounts to juice, cereal and toast.
Everything was clean including the pool, awesome hot hot tub(great for when the fog rolls in at night!) the room, bathroom. The only dirty part I noticed(which you notice more when you have kids along)is the outside carpet in the hallways but I don't tend to walk around barefoot so it was not much of an issue for me.
The neighbourhood is OK, some may think it looks dodgey, but not once was I concerned and we walked about it late at night. it takes about 8 minutes to casually walk to the beach, and I went into some of the other more older smaller hotels that have that whole Route 66 appeal to them and they were the same price. The beach inn has an inner coutyard where the pool/tub is, and a large front lobby where the food is served.
The bridges into downtown seem to be where the street people hang out so that may bother some folk but I have travelled extensivly and this kinda thing becomes the norm in most cities. We were never hassled but did meet a very nice homeless guy whom we said hi to each day and chatted with.
The hotel parking lot is well lit and is very large so I would not worry about not getting a spot to park.
Our shower was hot, not sure why others had a problem with that.
It was my first time in Santa Cruz and Iwould for sure go back to the Beach Inn or what is now Days Inn.

Room Tip: face into the courtyard maybe
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Michael C, General Manager at Hotel Solares, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2011

I appreciate any guest taking the time to post a review -- good or bad. It's one of the best ways for us to recognize where we're struggling and where we're getting it right. I remember this guest and his son and hope the rest of their late-summer trip went well. Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

Like others have said, this place was bad, even for the money. The shower took over 15 minutes (literally) to bring any hot water, the room STUNK of mold, it was loud and DIRTY and I bagged our clothes after we left because I was concerned about bedbugs. I actually wouldn't wish this hotel on my worst enemy.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amhky
Michael C, General Manager at Hotel Solares, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2011

It's frustrating and disappointing when a guest has an experience like this, especially when there's not an opportunity during their stay to make things better.
Our rooms are cleaned every day. We are a family hotel and there is some natural wear and tear on the rooms at the end of a very busy summer season. We do everything we can to make sure guests are aware of any cosmetic flaws on the property or in the rooms at the time of check-in.
I would invite any guest staying with us or considering same to contact me personally about any concerns.

Reviewed 15 August 2011

My husband and I were booked for 3 days at SCBI, which is in the process of becoming a Days Inn. We requested a room that has a seperate bedroom. They have 1 at this hotel. When we got there, the staff was very nice, and once the room was cleaned we were escorted there. Sad to say the room was horrible. It had a terrible smell, was so outdated and really seemed dirty.
We talked to the GM, Mr. Michael Condiff, and told him for the price we were being charged $244 avg ( inc tax ) was way too much for the room we saw.
He was so accomodating, understood our frustration, and moved us to the 3rd floor to their
2 room suite, bedroom upstairs, sitting room downstairs, a bathroom and TV on each floor,
along with the Micro and Refrig, and the room was very clean and modern. He did this for the same price!!. These few rooms are for family's and go for much more, so we so very appreciative of this. He greeted us everyday and asked how we liked the room. He is very patient given the circumstances he is dealing with ( renovation during peak summer time?? ) Beyond the above, we walked everywhere! You cannot beat the location. 10 min to beach, 5 min to downtown. We will be back when the renovation is done.
a special Thank you to Michael. If it was not for you, we would not have stayed.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Thanks. Kind words are always appreciated. Glad we were able to turn around this guest's stay.