Hotel Solares
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Riverside Inn(Santa Cruz)
Average 3/5
Torch Lite Inn(Santa Cruz)
Average 3/5
Very Good 4/5
View Hotel
Ocean Gate Inn(Santa Cruz)
Big 6 Motel(Santa Cruz)
Very Good 4/5
All reviewsfront desk staffmake your own wafflesfree breakfastroom was largecoffee makerheated pooldefinitely stay here againtubsboardwalkdowntownmaintenancewharf
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed here at what we thought was a great rate. For 2 nights in January under 100 dollars and walking distance to the boardwalk we thought this was going to be a hit. Upon checkin we were even upgraded to a balcony room. The rooms were big, 2 balconies, one over looking the pool and parking lot. The place is dated for sure and therefore the room feels kinda dingy. My nephew found a folded towel with sand all over it almost immediately, we just brushed that off as a lazy maid mistake. First night we were all looking forward to watching a movie on cable, they advertised they had HBO, however scanning all the channels on the very old RCA television we could only find the History Channel on any kind of cable. We had drivin most of the day so chose to just go to sleep. Breakfast ended at 10 am and we missed the first morning, second morning, felt like I was in China. 8 feet of counter space for about 20 people in the area at that time. They had cheerios, froot loops, stale danishes, bagels, bread, coffee and oj, and the main attraction the coveted waffle maker.. There were only 2 machines that you pour the batter in yourself, it takes 2 and a half minutes to cook one so needless to say there was a huge line and backup there and you needed to be aggressive just to get to anything. The waffles were very good but the 3 of us shared one as I did not have the stamina to fight for another. The second night we ordered Woodstock pizza that has free delivery to this hotel...delicious pizza. since we had to wait for food we decided to call front desk about cable issue. The guy was very nice and had to replace the whole huge boob tube tv with another. This night there were young people in the pool, even with our windows closed we could here them from the 3rd floor. Then they moved to spa, we knew the cut off was 10 pm so we waited it out and saw a couple people yell down to them to lower the noise. This same group was highly intoxicated by 1 am to 3:30 am...I had ear plugs and slept through it but my brother had to endure the whole thing, they were now in the parking lot fist fighting each other and yelling about letting the dog out of the room....besides fists flying they were dropping f bombs every two seconds. As my brother watched he also saw a drug deal go down right in the middle of the street. He just kept waiting and waiting for the hotel management to do something or the police to show up but nothing happened. I asked why he didn't call the front desk and he said he kept thinking someone would come out as obviously everyone could hear this and time just got away from him. He was exhausted the next morning as he told me the whole story. Checkout was at 11 so I figured I would ask for a later checkout at 1 so he could get a couple hours of sleep now that it was quite. He looked out the window and saw the noise makers cars still in the parking lot. I went to the lobby for breakfast and to ask for the late checkout....well, guess they were getting a lot of complaints because by the time I was talking to the front desk all courtesy was gone. She said she could give me a late checkout of 1 more hour, I explained what happened the nite before and how much sleep my brother lost and that's when the manager chimed in and said "We can't control our guests and those guests have been kicked out" I almost laughed when he said they couldn't control their guests but instead focused on the ladder since we had seen their cars 30 minutes prior. I asked when they were kicked out and he said he does not know since he just came on duty. Well, he must have meant they checked out....DUH. He then said he could not give us a later checkout because the maids need to clean the rooms....the same maids who don't check to see if sand is still in the towels. Well clearly these people did not go to Hotel Hospitality school and don't know how to handle these types of situations. We were asking for an extra hour time not even a discount. They never even apologized for the other guests behavior or the fact that it disrupted our stay. Most hotels would have simply apologized (well most would have called the cops) and graciously given the extra hour and gave a card for a discount on our next stay....that is how you get good reviews and repeat business. I would NEVER give this place another chance now regardless of how cheap the price.

Room Tip: Woodstock Pizza
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank j9neener
Michael C, General Manager at Hotel Solares, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Online reviews provide guests an opportunity to share their experience at our property with others. Unfortunately, some take it as an opportunity to distort, exaggerate or fabricate. We stand behind our policies and practices, but regret that this guest found them unsatisfactory or inflexible.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

We came as a family of four for a summer weekend. Location was fabulous and it was quiet. However, the room was pretty dumpy for the price. There was sand in the bathroom when we arrived, there was a 6-8 inch burn whole in the carpet, and it had a moldy/smoky beach smell to it. Did someone previous person have a campfire in the room? They had also forgotten to put any soaps/shampoo/lotion in the room. When we called for some, they never delivered it and we had to go get them the next morning. It was quiet and checkin-checkout was very quick. We will try some place else next time...

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

We are constantly trying to improve our property, and the main emphasis is in keeping our rooms clean and maintained. Obviously, we failed during this guest's visit in August. We would love it if this guest would give us another opportunity.

Reviewed 9 January 2012

I have stayed here several times before; it is kind of my go-to hotel for trips to Santa Cruz. I have stayed here before it was a Days Inn, and after, and its a very similar experience. The rates are the same as before it was bought out. They renovated it with fresh coat of paint and bedding, so thats good.

I won't speak about the management since I don't know if the old manager who was there prior still works there.

The rooms are spacious and pretty, though simple. Comfortable, warm bedding and shower/bath combinations. One of the only bathtubs that I've felt is long enough for a tall person like myself. Very clean bathroom.

The two best things about this property are the pool area and the balconies. I went here to celebrate an anniversary and really enjoyed having our coffee and breakfast overlooking the morning sun. Good view when it is a clear day. Balconies are relatively large. The pool is seldom crowded and a good size. Pool area is decked out with marble and dramatically lit at night, with nice greenery surrounding. They have twin hot tubs, with plenty of jets at the right temperature. Love going down there in the evening!

Their continental breakfast is also pretty rockin'. It includes waffles, juice machine, pretty good pastries, lots of options. It is pretty crowded down there at times, but then again, its a free breakfast.

The staff is always friendly and helpful. They will give you recommendations for places. Very professional service, not outstanding, but very good.

I will return to this place just as long as their price is so good for a solid hotel. Go here with your lover especially!

Room Tip: Tampico is a great spot for Mexican dining and they have great margaritas!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aregenerate

Happy that we were able to deliver the type of experience this guest is used to having at this property. And, for the record, the hotel is under the same ownership, simply transitioned into a branded property with Days Inn.

And, yes, our breakfast is pretty good.

Reviewed 17 December 2011

Most people have commented on the worn appearance of the rooms. True. However, the room I was in was spotless and very large. The bed was comfortable and there was soap, shampoo, conditioner and skin cream in the bathroom. I had arrived after 11pm and was checked in quickly. Two mornings later I was checked out quickly - despite the line. The breakfast is good; they even have a waffle maker!

I booked this on Hotels.com - according to friends in the area, this was a real deal considering the area has more expensive hotels of the same quality.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from Riverside Drive.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Our rooms are the most spacious on California's Central Coast and we're glad this guest enjoyed that extra space to spread out. And I always like to hear great comments about my staff. I think they're great, too.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

Good service, but hotel room looked worn out (carpet & paint). Disappointed that the specific room that we reserved was not given to us because the current guests extended their stay. Overall a nice experience ... would stay again. A 3.5 rating out of 5.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple