“Walking Distance to BoardWalk”
Review of Hotel Solares

Hotel Solares
Ranked #37 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 25 May 2012

Have to agree the place is a little outdated, needs a little painting around the edges inside, looks like they are trying to make outside improvements as there is fresh plants out front, which look nice. Staff were friendly and helpful, neighbourhood little rough looking driving up (especially if coming in the back way/through the gate), we were concerned as we had a convertible but they closed the back gate at night for security. Our room was big, two double beds, no smoke smell, had a good sleep. Swam in the pool and had a nice hot tub before bed. One thing I would like to see is some ‘Protein’ for breakfast: yogurt or hard boiled eggs is a nice touch for those who don’t like a lot a Carbs. for breakfast, but having said that it’s not too often I get those waffles either and I just love them ~ check the times for the boardwalk before going, we didnt time it right and everyone closed up at 5pm and reopened at 10am when we needed to be back on the road to reach our destination in time.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Whitesands13

Reviewed 2 May 2012

We arrived at the hotel at 8.30pm after driving down from San Francisco. We hadn't made a reservation. The lady on reception was friendly and helpful and checked us in really quick.

As already mentioned by other reviewers, the rooms are dated but they are spacious. It was on the slightly cold side, I slept with my socks on!

One bizarre thing, there was a lamp and coffee maker but no wall sockets for them. In fact there were no spare wall sockets. We had to unplug the clock by the bed to charge our phones and the coffee maker made its way to the bathroom...strange!

The beds were comfortable and we got a great nights sleep.

We didn't hang around to use the other facilities so can't comment on them.

Was suitable for what we needed-somewhere to sleep

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 27 March 2012

Pluses: good bed, good pillows, big room, convenient, nice staff, cheap ($71 for a king).
Minuses: holes in the wall, horrible shower with accompanying screeching, awful towels, lots of ambient noise.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Michael C, General Manager at Hotel Solares, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2012

We are constantly trying to improve our property, and the main emphasis is in keeping our rooms clean and maintained. Obviously, we failed during this guest's visit in August. We would love it if this guest would give us another opportunity

Reviewed 20 March 2012

With all of the options for affordable stay in Santa Cruz, I did choose the Day's Inn. Kind of a ho-hum hotel that is obviously fairly old and was purchased by Day's Inn. Looks like they did some upgrades, but you really can see the age of the place in the exterior and the hallways. I was on the 2nd floor and the fun thing with the elevator here is that it would go to the 3rd floor first and then down to the 2nd. So each time I used it, I got to go for a little ride.
The hotel is recessed about a mile from the boardwalk so to go there, you will probably need to drive - thus the cheaper rate then the hotels by the boardwalk. Rooms are spacious, again a bit older - you can just tell. TV is a regular CRT no flat screens. The oddest thing I found is that they have desk for you to sit at and work - but there were no outlets by the desk. In fact, the only available were in the bathroom. Kind of a bad deal if you are a photographer needing to charge batteries and use your laptop. I ended up unplugging the clock and a light to get the outlets I needed.
Also, here is the other quirk (little things irk me) the coffee maker sat on the desk but there is no outlet, so I had to move the coffee maker and all of it's stuff over to the bathroom and set up coffee in there.
The beds are actually pretty comfortable and the morning breakfast of waffles, cereals and pastries was good. But over all, this is a mid range hotel that I am not sure I would bring a person I want to impress to. Oh, and as other reviewers noted - the walls are thin. I got to stay here when a high school team moved in and I heard every peep and sound they made. Good thing I was tired so I was able to fall asleep. I would say great for us business travelers who want a place to stay that is not going to kill the bank account and that's not a complete mess.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Room was clean, but needed the repairs painted. Beds were very hard and our pressure points were sore in the morning. Slider lock did not work, but there was a chain, bar and lower bar. People living in their cars outside the room. Hot tub and pool were clean and well maintained. We may of had a poorer room because we have pets. Too bad we pay the same price as everyone else plus pet charge and take care of our pets.

Room Tip: Want a nicer room? Don't bring your pets.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2012

As noted in other reviews, for some reason, Santa Cruz lodging properties command premium rates while generally being pretty tired. This property is no exception. It has a location within walking distance of both downtown S.C. and the beach, which is really nice. The rooms are large and there is good parking at the property. The staff is friendly and helpful. The property is tired, however. The rooms look dated because they have elderly carpet and decor; the bathroom in our unit looked especially worn and there were holes in the wall behind the door into the room. There was an argumentative family on the other side of the door in the 'adjoining' room. There are no comfortable chairs in the room and no table. You're clearly supposed to be spending your time at the beach and just sleeping in the room. If that's your style - no worries; this is the place for you. Don't plan on hanging around reading at the pool, though - the pool, furniture is in pretty poor repair.

On the whole, this is an OK property for young families on a budget who want to be close to the beach and want to stay at a property where the kids can pretty much roam freely. Older folks need not bother, nor should anyone on a 'romantic' getaway - this place will dampen your romantic flame pretty quickly.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 February 2012

We stayed here at what we thought was a great rate. For 2 nights in January under 100 dollars and walking distance to the boardwalk we thought this was going to be a hit. Upon checkin we were even upgraded to a balcony room. The rooms were big, 2 balconies, one over looking the pool and parking lot. The place is dated for sure and therefore the room feels kinda dingy. My nephew found a folded towel with sand all over it almost immediately, we just brushed that off as a lazy maid mistake. First night we were all looking forward to watching a movie on cable, they advertised they had HBO, however scanning all the channels on the very old RCA television we could only find the History Channel on any kind of cable. We had drivin most of the day so chose to just go to sleep. Breakfast ended at 10 am and we missed the first morning, second morning, felt like I was in China. 8 feet of counter space for about 20 people in the area at that time. They had cheerios, froot loops, stale danishes, bagels, bread, coffee and oj, and the main attraction the coveted waffle maker.. There were only 2 machines that you pour the batter in yourself, it takes 2 and a half minutes to cook one so needless to say there was a huge line and backup there and you needed to be aggressive just to get to anything. The waffles were very good but the 3 of us shared one as I did not have the stamina to fight for another. The second night we ordered Woodstock pizza that has free delivery to this hotel...delicious pizza. since we had to wait for food we decided to call front desk about cable issue. The guy was very nice and had to replace the whole huge boob tube tv with another. This night there were young people in the pool, even with our windows closed we could here them from the 3rd floor. Then they moved to spa, we knew the cut off was 10 pm so we waited it out and saw a couple people yell down to them to lower the noise. This same group was highly intoxicated by 1 am to 3:30 am...I had ear plugs and slept through it but my brother had to endure the whole thing, they were now in the parking lot fist fighting each other and yelling about letting the dog out of the room....besides fists flying they were dropping f bombs every two seconds. As my brother watched he also saw a drug deal go down right in the middle of the street. He just kept waiting and waiting for the hotel management to do something or the police to show up but nothing happened. I asked why he didn't call the front desk and he said he kept thinking someone would come out as obviously everyone could hear this and time just got away from him. He was exhausted the next morning as he told me the whole story. Checkout was at 11 so I figured I would ask for a later checkout at 1 so he could get a couple hours of sleep now that it was quite. He looked out the window and saw the noise makers cars still in the parking lot. I went to the lobby for breakfast and to ask for the late checkout....well, guess they were getting a lot of complaints because by the time I was talking to the front desk all courtesy was gone. She said she could give me a late checkout of 1 more hour, I explained what happened the nite before and how much sleep my brother lost and that's when the manager chimed in and said "We can't control our guests and those guests have been kicked out" I almost laughed when he said they couldn't control their guests but instead focused on the ladder since we had seen their cars 30 minutes prior. I asked when they were kicked out and he said he does not know since he just came on duty. Well, he must have meant they checked out....DUH. He then said he could not give us a later checkout because the maids need to clean the rooms....the same maids who don't check to see if sand is still in the towels. Well clearly these people did not go to Hotel Hospitality school and don't know how to handle these types of situations. We were asking for an extra hour time not even a discount. They never even apologized for the other guests behavior or the fact that it disrupted our stay. Most hotels would have simply apologized (well most would have called the cops) and graciously given the extra hour and gave a card for a discount on our next stay....that is how you get good reviews and repeat business. I would NEVER give this place another chance now regardless of how cheap the price.

Room Tip: Woodstock Pizza
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank j9neener
Michael C, General Manager at Hotel Solares, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Online reviews provide guests an opportunity to share their experience at our property with others. Unfortunately, some take it as an opportunity to distort, exaggerate or fabricate. We stand behind our policies and practices, but regret that this guest found them unsatisfactory or inflexible.