My friends and I were very disappointed when we arrived at the Ocean Echo. I had made reservations in August for our annual, birthday get together. I wanted a special place on the beach, where we could all be in one room. I reserved the largest cottage, #6.
When I made the reservations, I was on the internet and the advertised price was $150 per night. I was quoted $240 when I called. Which surprised me, but when I was told they had "totally remodeled", I felt $240 was OK.
When we arrived, we discovered their idea of "totally remodeling" was new down comforters (without duvet covers), new paint, carpet that was a year old (with pet stains, we think), and new a foundation. I expressed my disappointment to the management, who were very nice, but said they could not do anything for us. (In all fairness, I didn't ask for anything, but in the future will ask for a discounted rate due to the condition of the room.)
We decided to stay and make the best of it. We went out to dinner and came back, still not certain we liked staying there for $240 per night. One of my friends was getting nauseous by the smell in one of the rooms, the one with what we think were pet stains. I was so upset about everything, I went into the kitchen to get a snack sized candy bar which was in a bag. Before I could completely reach into the bag, what I thought was a roach ran out and under the microwave. That clinched it for us, we called the management and told them we were leaving right then and would come back in the morning to get a refund. The management was apologetic and told us who to speak to the next day. Again, they were very nice and refunded our money promptly.
This place could be so cute, but it's really run down right now and not worth the new prices. I would not advise anyone stay there. For the same amount of money, you can stay in a variety of wonderful places. (We ended up in a very nice hotel, with 2 wonderful rooms with 2 queen beds each and all the amenities for the same amount of money.)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hidden gem with direct access to the beach at Sunny Cove, a favorite local beach between Santa Cruz and Capitola! This property has a private and charming location with quaint rooms and cottages where you can spend the day on your romantic getaway, enjoy fun family events, eat at great local restaurants, then return to the soothing sound of the ocean waves. Some units have fully-equipped kitchens, ocean views & private decks. Some units are dog-friendly. Short walk to restaurants & yacht harbor. Free continental breakfast, free parking & free WiFi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Agoda so you can book your Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages Hotel Santa Cruz
- Ocean Echo Inn And Beach Cottages