“Could be very nice, but isn't right now....”

Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages
Ranked #2 of 15 Santa Cruz B&B and Inns
Sacramento, CA
“Could be very nice, but isn't right now....”
Reviewed 7 November 2007

My friends and I were very disappointed when we arrived at the Ocean Echo. I had made reservations in August for our annual, birthday get together. I wanted a special place on the beach, where we could all be in one room. I reserved the largest cottage, #6.

When I made the reservations, I was on the internet and the advertised price was $150 per night. I was quoted $240 when I called. Which surprised me, but when I was told they had "totally remodeled", I felt $240 was OK.

When we arrived, we discovered their idea of "totally remodeling" was new down comforters (without duvet covers), new paint, carpet that was a year old (with pet stains, we think), and new a foundation. I expressed my disappointment to the management, who were very nice, but said they could not do anything for us. (In all fairness, I didn't ask for anything, but in the future will ask for a discounted rate due to the condition of the room.)

We decided to stay and make the best of it. We went out to dinner and came back, still not certain we liked staying there for $240 per night. One of my friends was getting nauseous by the smell in one of the rooms, the one with what we think were pet stains. I was so upset about everything, I went into the kitchen to get a snack sized candy bar which was in a bag. Before I could completely reach into the bag, what I thought was a roach ran out and under the microwave. That clinched it for us, we called the management and told them we were leaving right then and would come back in the morning to get a refund. The management was apologetic and told us who to speak to the next day. Again, they were very nice and refunded our money promptly.

This place could be so cute, but it's really run down right now and not worth the new prices. I would not advise anyone stay there. For the same amount of money, you can stay in a variety of wonderful places. (We ended up in a very nice hotel, with 2 wonderful rooms with 2 queen beds each and all the amenities for the same amount of money.)

• Liked — The staff was nice.
  • Disliked — The rooms did not reflect the cost. Shabby and run down.
1 Thank blackdogzoey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
clovis, ca
Reviewed 5 October 2007

Stayed 2 nights in cottage 10 - run down, musty smelling, found multiple spiders, claim of "beautiful bedding/beds" NOT TRUE. Very disappointing, was very excited to spend the weekend in a fun beach cottage....it was spacious but on the unkept side. Bedding was old and very scratchy...futon was filthy...the free high speed internet was password protected and didn't work even after I received the password. Arrived late Friday night to find no parking available....would not recommend this place for the price...it is close to the beach - that is the only good thing.

• Liked — close to the beach and would allow pets
  • Disliked — comfort level is very low
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank supergoldenlover
san luis obispo
Reviewed 25 September 2007

we needed a room for three dropping our kid at UCSC , booked cottage #2 , kind of funky but pleasant, but the futon that our daughter was supposed to use was filthy they would have covered it with a cover it would have been fine but they didn't bother, the set of sheets they gave us so old you could see through, the blanket was torn. This is for the extra bed , the queen one in the main room was nice even though the sheets were far from being new ! Regarding the continental breakfast, they claimed it was their first day offering it, they should add that it doesn't really happen before 10am because that's when they get up ! figure this out ! the next day we found at 8;30 am one banana left maybe from the previous day. That was it ! The overall experience was disappointing because of the real lack of effort on their part. Too bad it could be real cute but i think they just don't know how to handle their cusomers.

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank nouche
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 17 September 2007

From what I've read/heard, the Ocean Echo has recently undergone a change of ownership and I suspect it hasn't been for the better. The location of the inn is fantastic. It's adjacent to a rather secluded cove, situated between Santa Cruz and Capitola. The property itself could be really wonderful, but the rooms are quickly becoming decrepit (ours was a dump) and the grounds, which looked like they had been loved, are dying. What a shame. Also, the little black and white cat looked so starved I was tempted to take her home. What's up with that? Housekeeping was really friendly, although they didn't actually clean our room. Thumbs down.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — accommodations and starving cat
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank jensfo
San Francisco
Reviewed 5 August 2007

We have been coming to Ocean Echo for 5 years now, the first year we were not sure about the place BUT, the people who ran the place made it so amazing we could not help but fall in love with our new found vacation home. BUT this last visit in August was to our suprise, the magic had disappeared, no more the same feeling. The previous family that took such amazing care of us and everyone around, by entertaining us with movies at night, snow cones, ping pong tournaments, a bubble machines and ALWAYS a smile, great conversation and a helping hand are no longer there. The gardens were always so beautiful with flowers and manicured so amazingly, not anymore. Before it was magical now it is just a motel. We got so used to being treated so nice and taken care of we sort of took it for granted. This was a sad vacation for us and we will not be back and will look for a new location next year.

• Liked — The beach
  • Disliked — The front desk help
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank welovetheocean29
Fort Smith, Arkansas
Reviewed 29 July 2007

My friend and I stayed at the Lodge in late July. We were in room # 11. We are from Dallas and was really concerned when we got to our room and found that it had no A.C. However, we stayed 2 nights, and had a wonderful visit. The temperatures were so mild. The first night we opened our windows and used fans and had to use covers. The 2nd night we closed all windows and still used covers. The lodge is out dated but that is what gives it character. Beutiful wood ceilings and 2 friendly CATS. It is not sitting on the beach, however it is kinda beach front. You can see the beach from some of the rooms, but not all and the sitting area between the different cabins/rooms, is wonderful for morning coffee and crashing waves. There are no amenities, including telephones, but that too was just part of the personality of the Inn. I WILL BE BACK.... with jackets and sweats next time.. What a great place... and you have your own private beach where some build bon-fires at night.

• Liked — The personality of the rooms.. Very quaint.
  • Disliked — Parking
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank darlenehay1
salida
Reviewed 31 December 2006

My wife and I were tired of being hot in the valley, so we took are youngest son and one of his friends to the coast. We had no reservations, we were just going to wing it. By accident we stumbled across ECHO LODGE. What a nice family place, they have movies, snow cones, and toys for the kids to play with on the beach. And the beach is kind of a private beach with cliffs on both sides. The only access is the road from the lodge. You can have fires on the beach, while enjoying the serenity of the coastal sounds.Looking very forward to going again, hopefully we will make it a yearly trip.

Signed: