“If I could give no stars, I would”
Review of Motel Santa Cruz

Motel Santa Cruz
Ranked #54 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were taking our 5 grand kids on a long weekend getaway. We reserved 2 adjoining rooms three weeks in advance of this trip. The information we were given said this "hotel" had a swimming pool, provided breakfast and had adjoining rooms. We called ahead to explain we would be checking in late due to the fact we had taken the kids to see a Giants game in SF. We arrived at 11:45 PM. The owners met us in the office and at first were cordial. When we realized not only did we NOT have adjoining rooms, the rooms we were given could not have been further apart, literally on the opposite sides of the facility. The rooms, smelled awful, they were dirty, had NO towels or wash cloths. The TV's were at least 20 years old. There is NO swimming pool and they do NOT provide breakfast. When we told the owner this is not what we had reserved she got very testy and said, "well don't stay here then"! We were in a strange city at midnight with 5 grand kids. We felt like we didn't have any choice, so we stayed the night. There were scary looking people in and out of the facility all hours of the night. We could barely sleep. We got up at 6:30 am the next morning and left, the owner was extremely rude and simply said, "I told you, you could stay somewhere else". We have since found out that this motel is where a lot of drug dealing and prostitution takes place and we believe it. It was a terrible experience!

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jack H
There are newer reviews for Motel Santa Cruz

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I booked online after dark traveling alone - I know 3 out of 3 Bad combo. Paid non refundable $120. Exhausted & could not go any farther.

The carpet was burned, black spots. The doors to the rooms face off in pairs( like a flop house. I got in wishing I could leave but stayed & just tried to sleep.
All night the door facing mine opened & closed. ALL NIGHT TILL DAYLIGHT. I was afraid to leave before the sun came up.
5:45 a.m. Opened the door & a guy in a sweatshirt was looking in the trash can at the top of the stairs. I offered him a banana thinking he was hungry. He did not answer verbally. Threw everything in the car & as I am watching HE IS TAPPING ON DOORS AND TURNING DOOR KNOBS - while staring at me!!! I told him which room had the action ( across from mine!)
SLEEP BESIDE THE ROAD IN YOUR CAR if you have to stop because anything will be safer and cleaner than this Skanky fleabag joint.

The front desk was polite.

It's unfortunate but every beach town has place like this and until they clean it up this one - stay away.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Coppscycler
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Myself, my daughter and a friend of mine arrived at this hotel. We were there for the Wharf to Wharf race. Outside was nice. Inside was quite the opposite. The office smelled...the clerks were rude and arguing with each other. Got up to our room...it ranked of cigarette smoke...I asked for non smoking....called the office to confirm we actually were in the right room...we were...asked to get another room...rudely one clerk came up...argued with me and took me to another room that was worse. Asked for discount...ignored me and said they would find me another hotel. No apologies...rudeness and filthy....old smelly rooms!...don't stay here...not worth your time or money!....and yes WE found another hotel...closer to boardwalk...cheaper...and MUCH nicer.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

This place looks a bit rough and outdated, but it's cheap and clean. The location is perfect, the manager is very personable and the pet fee is only 10 bucks. The bed was super comfortable! If you need a conveniently located place to rest your head, this is it. If you're looking for amenities, this isn't your place. But you should be out exploring anyway! Santa Cruz is awesome!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I was planning a last minute trip to Santa Cruz for MDW. Most motels near the boardwalk were booked so I reserved a room at Motel Santa Cruz. I had an emergency the morning of the trip and had to cancel. When I called to cancel the room, the manager was very rude and told me that they wouldn't cancel the room even though I couldn't even make it down for the weekend! Horrible Customer Service

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 December 2013

The outside of the motel looks nice but beware of the inside! The pictures online are not what it is really like!! The front desk staff was very nice but the rooms were horrible. Cleanliness was marginal and the mattress was the worst I have ever seen. It was sunken in the middle. Even though the price was very reasonable, spend a little more money and stay in a better motel/hotel. I will never stay here again------I felt very uncomfortable and was worried about my safety!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jro2480
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Don't stay here. They charged us $179 for each room (2 queens each), using the Monterey Jazz Festival as an excuse. What a rip off. The rooms do not have closets, the beds were old, the sheets stained and had smoke holes, the towels were old. Looks ok from the outside, but don't be fooled. The insides stink!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends