“great /cozy place to stay”
Review of Harbor Inn

Harbor Inn
Harbor Inn
Ranked #32 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My wife found this place by accident on line as we were looking for a place to stay in Santa Cruz, to our surprise all I can say is Wow Wow Wow, we had a room on the bottom floor of the main house, it was great it was clean and cozy way better than any motel we have stayed at had full bath/Microwave/ flat screen TV, I read the reviews earlier, about the noisy rooms by the road, for us this was not the case we slept with the window open had a room facing the street had no problem with noise. Stores and restaurants were close I needed a small part for my car unexpectedly, parts store less than 2 miles, along with Supermarket. We were close to the harbor, we even found a new beach we haven't seen before, on the harbor along with a light house we took a walk on it, it was a nice sunset walk. Juanita was great very helpful, I have read some of the negative reviews, still trying to figure out what people want in a place to stay.
For myself and my wife this place was perfect. Had a great trip and will come back again and again no more hassling with motels when we visit. :)

Room Tip: make sure your room has a bathroom in the room as I understand some rooms don't have private bat...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rich E

Reviewed 27 September 2011

I wanted to love the Habor Inn, really I did. My husband and I stayed for two weeks after our daughter and son in law had thier new baby. The staff was very pleasant and went above and beyond to help us. After being in our first room for 3 nights my back was complaining and the walls were closing in. I believe the first room was #306. It was in the 1 story building. The room was too dark for my taste. We were shown other rooms we could move to and chose a bright sunny room in the two story building. All rooms have a small fridge and a microwave and coffee maker. Everything just seems a bit tired. I must say the rooms are amazing clean. There is an undertone of musty in the building. Not sure what that's about. There is also a strong odor of citrus cleaning products. I read a sign when we checked in that said there were no refunds. Since I had just paid for two weeks we were stuck. I would have moved if I could have gotten my money refunded. The location was awesome but as others have said there is alot of road noise. Perhaps I'm just too picky. We wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Babscanfish
Reviewed 8 August 2011

This place is quite charming and that was one of the reasons why we chose to stay here. Given that we were visiting during the peak summer season, prices in the area were astronomical. Compared to others, Harbor Inn was relatively reasonable. The room is quite basic, but ours did have a nice remodeled bathroom and a small kitchenette. It's several blocks from the beach and although the Boardwalk is a little further, I'd recommend trying to walk it (about 30 minutes) than battling the congested traffic and fighting for parking.

This place has lots of potential. The rooms could be remodeled a bit without losing its rustic charms (ours had a slight musty smell.) Offering a continential breakfast instead of suggesting the over-crowded Harbor Cafe to guests would have increased my rating. If you just need a place to rest your head in a decent central location, this isn't a bad option.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Elki4
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Stayed in annex unit beside main house and were very happy with our large, studio-like room. Recently renovated and very clean. Nice bathroom and cute kitchen area with small fridge, microwave and sink. Very cozy and comfortable to spend a week. Only block's walk up the road is GREAT breakfast/lunch restaurant -- Harbor Cafe. Had Father's Day brunch and returned almost every morning after that! Location is central to Capitola and Boardwalk,as well as Harbor and great restaurants (Crow's Nest and Aldo's). Can book a whale watch almost across the street -- awesome! Some road traffic noise because of good location. Manager, Juanita, very friendly and helpful. Plan to make this our "home" on our annual family visit!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank riwanderer_10
Reviewed 21 October 2010

My wife and I were looking for a quiet, relaxing, off the beaten track, place to stay near the beach. We are from Sacramento and had a rare weekend to ourselves. The Harbor Inn offered an authentic, Santa Cruz experience without the busy "beach scene" at the best time of year - Fall. Our non-rushed, weekend featured a drive up the north coast, enjoying nature's wonders and even picking fresh, organic strawberries. When we returned, we sat together in the garden area with a bottle of wine. The owners, Chris and Claire greeted us warmly, while each went about their business of making sure the grounds stayed well maintained. The evenings were quiet, and the beds were "the best ever," according to my wife. We enjoyed a nice breakfast nearby, and accomplished our goal of "Real R&R." We would recommend the Harbor Inn to anyone looking to take a "time out" for a week or weekend.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Carl1212
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Really lovely room with lots of light and space. A way out of the cebtre but in a nice quiet residential area. 20 minute walk to a lovely beach and another 10 onto the boardwalk.

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank Caztravelling
Reviewed 10 July 2009

perfect little spot close to beach away from the noise of downtown and the boardwalk. Clean quiet and spacious room with microwave and good size fridge. We stayed in room 305. This place is unique all the rooms are different.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple