“Management Issues”
Review of Coastview Inn

Coastview Inn
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I called and attempted to reserve rooms. They took my information and suggested since I was reserving 5 rooms that I should do so under a group name.

When I called back a few days before our arrival to confirm, they notified me that my rooms had been given away. Instead of trying to be helpful they just point out hotel policy. The policy that they sited had never been reviewed with me prior to me calling back. I am very disappointed with their response to a difficult situation. i had to scramble to find rooms on my own at the last minute.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask a lot of questions! What if scenarios.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank richhines

Reviewed 2 August 2012

We chose this motel due to its location. We were directly across the street from the beach and one block down from the boardwalk. The room itself was extremely small and parking was extremely limited. Also, the wireless internet would not work beyond the main building. I sat in the hotel lobby to use the internet, but was asked to leave at ten, which was when the office closed. I will add, however, that the desk clerk was extremely polite and tried to be accommodating. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable, plus there was a small refrigerator and microwave. We did not take advantage of the complimentary breakfast because the serving room was too cramped.

Reviewed 1 August 2012

Well, you figured out how to push my button, and you hit it with your fist!!
Decent hotel across from the beach with a view of the eyesore La Bahia apartment building, complete with bums and panhandlers in front. They actually yelled to me from the street to ask me for money when I was standing in front of my room.

Terrible parking situtation unless you're one of the lucky 2 that parks in front of the rooms.(2 handicapp spots as well) Tight parking garage for small cars and then its off to the sketchy roof top parking in back accessed through a steel gate. Not a place I'd want to park at night if I wasn't the monster that I am.

The bed was comfy although they haven't heard of this invention called Fabric Softener as I could've sanded the walls with the sheets/towels.

Young kids stomping around all day/night right above the office(next to my room) and they did nothing about it.

The pool was a tiny and filthy mess. Looking like it hadn't been cleaned in years. The dumpster was pretty much in plain sight/smell of the entire hotel........

Here's what REALLY ticked me off. Although I paid in full for 2 nights via Expedia($331 incl tax) they put a pending charge on my credit card for $233 that still has yet to release(7 days already) Expedia and I both called them to inquire and they denied ever having charged my card. Mess with my $$$ and you're guaranteed to tick me off.

Room Tip: Skip this hotel.....
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Clinton1976
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I made my reservation months in advance to find that it was not booked when we arrived. In order to accomodate my stay my family needed to move to another room on the last day. When I asked for a discount for the inconvenience I was told that they often ask their guests to move rooms during their stay which I thought was ridiculous. The room itself was pretty sad, "you get what you pay for". The parking was terrible unless you drive a smart car and even still they ask you to park up the hill and around the corner if their 10 or so parking spaces are filled. I lucked out on the first day to park at the hotel to find my car had been dripped on by something that didn't come off too easily. They offer free WiFi, but you need a user name and password for each device (ie Nook, phone and laptop) then I had to request a whole new set when we moved rooms which was pretty inconvenient. The phone did not work in the first room and I had to use my cell phone to call the front desk. My only plus what that it was right across the street from The Boardwalk. Although we had some type of domestic disturbance going on across the street on the first night.
Overal....Not so hot! I will not return.

Reviewed 24 July 2012

This is an excellent , inexpensive place to stay. We were very impressed with the staff also who accomodated us even though we had no previous booking. It is an excellent location and has the beach right across the road and is in walking distance to the major attractions on the beach. We are hoping to stay another night but they are booked out, but we enquire again tomorrow as we would love to stay another night. Its not 5 star but for the price and location it is such good value

Reviewed 19 July 2012

booked 3 months in advanced, with my girlscout troop. 4 of my gs familys reserved and recieved their room upon arrival. me (girlscout leader) that recommended this hotel to the gs parents, showed up with my confirmation letter, and confirmation number, to be told im not in the computer. my family and i have been staying at coastview motel for aprox 30 years, weve went through all the changes in management and remodeling with them. we stay aprox. 1 or 2 times per summer there. the motel was booked fully. but apparently NO reservation for me. EVEN THOUGH I HAD MY CONFIRMATION. i was told "IM SORRY BUT I CANT GIVE U A ROOM " desk clerk said "i dont know what happened. I DONT HAVE A ROOM FOR U, FOR EITHER OF YOUR NIGHTS.!!! yet my whole girlscout troop was there upon my recommendation. i was so upset. luckily we found a motel a little further away for a bit cheaper even, with a vacancy.! but i didnt get to spend the time with my girlscout troop as planned. we sold alot of girlscout cookies to earn this trip. i feel we were all cheated. I WILL NEVER STAY THERE AGAIN. i felt as if they didnt even care, it was the middle of july, we were lucky to have found a different motel vacant. so just know, coastview does not grant reservations even when u have printed proof and confirmation numbers, and futher more, they dont care.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jamie G
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We booked our Independence Day trip through Travelocity. Paid $279 + tax and fees for two nights. It was perfect. The pictures posted here are exactly what you get. The bed was surprisingly comfortable--pillowtop mattress. There was dish network with plenty of viewing options. Free wi-fi that worked well. The continental breakfast was great--toast, english muffins, pastries, juice and cereal, but get there early if you want your pick. Around 9:00 most everything was gone. The front desk staff was pleasant and efficient. The pool is small, but you are literally steps from the beach. That is the best part-the location. Unlike other hotels in the area, this one is not on a steep hill. I was considering staying at the HoJo and i am so glad we didn't. It would have been very inconvenient to hike that hill a couple times a day. At this hotel, we walked across the street and we were standing on the beach. At night the sea lions were barking from the wharf. We checked out the karoke at the bowling alley next door (Hilarious, BTW), but did not hear any noise from the alley in our room. The parking is a little tight in the front of the building and in the garage, but there is plenty more parking on the roof of the building. There is a fee to park anywhere around the Boardwalk, so it is really nice to have a spot at the hotel. Finally, it was super convenient to have a fridge and mircrowave in the room for all those tasty leftovers. We couldn't have been happier with our hotel choice.

Room Tip: There is a large room on the 2nd floor that has oceanviews and two large windows. I believe the rat...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple