“Nice, clean, no-frills hotel”
Review of Coastview Inn

Coastview Inn
Ranked #24 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Sacramento, California
“Nice, clean, no-frills hotel”
Reviewed 2 September 2012

The hotel is centrally located between the wharf and the boardwalk, and is right across the street from beach access. The room was clean, the beds were comfortable, and the staff was very friendly and had excellent suggestions for restaurants in the area. I was very happy with my stay here, and I definitely would return to stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Syosset, New York
Reviewed 16 August 2012

We choose this hotel because it was less costly than the Dream Inn located a few blocks away where we were going to a wedding. Like many of the other hotels along the Boardwalk it is motel style with doors facing an outdoor walkway. This means passing guests and Boardwalk noises (A couple of Bongo drummers almost caused us to check out the first night) can be heard. But the value and location make it worth while. It was tidy, not very update and acceptable in terms of cleanliness. The staff was always very helpful. I wish there was an in-room safe. Parking was free, which is a big deal as traffic in this area can be rough.

Room Tip: Right in the middle, not in back near the pool nor up front where you might hear boardwalk noises.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 15 August 2012

It is impossible to have a better location than the Coastview Inn. It is directly across the street from the beach and in the middle of everything. Our room was relatively clean, but you can tell that no one is checking up on the housekeeping staff as there were dusty surfaces in our room and the exhaust fan filter in the bathroom needed changing. The room could have really used a deep clean. Nothing gross yet, but that could change very soon.

The cleanliness of the external part of the inn left something to be desired. There are ash tray/trash cans outside several of the rooms and none of them were cleaned or emptied during our three day visit. Parking could also be a challenge. I can't blame the parking situation on the inn, given their location I'm sure a lot of people try to park there for free. They did find me a spot so not a huge concern.

I can recommend this place as long as you are willing to approach it with an "it is what it is" type of attitude.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
San Diego CA
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I called and attempted to reserve rooms. They took my information and suggested since I was reserving 5 rooms that I should do so under a group name.

When I called back a few days before our arrival to confirm, they notified me that my rooms had been given away. Instead of trying to be helpful they just point out hotel policy. The policy that they sited had never been reviewed with me prior to me calling back. I am very disappointed with their response to a difficult situation. i had to scramble to find rooms on my own at the last minute.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask a lot of questions! What if scenarios.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank richhines

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Kentucky
Reviewed 2 August 2012

We chose this motel due to its location. We were directly across the street from the beach and one block down from the boardwalk. The room itself was extremely small and parking was extremely limited. Also, the wireless internet would not work beyond the main building. I sat in the hotel lobby to use the internet, but was asked to leave at ten, which was when the office closed. I will add, however, that the desk clerk was extremely polite and tried to be accommodating. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable, plus there was a small refrigerator and microwave. We did not take advantage of the complimentary breakfast because the serving room was too cramped.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
chicago
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Well, you figured out how to push my button, and you hit it with your fist!!
Decent hotel across from the beach with a view of the eyesore La Bahia apartment building, complete with bums and panhandlers in front. They actually yelled to me from the street to ask me for money when I was standing in front of my room.

Terrible parking situtation unless you're one of the lucky 2 that parks in front of the rooms.(2 handicapp spots as well) Tight parking garage for small cars and then its off to the sketchy roof top parking in back accessed through a steel gate. Not a place I'd want to park at night if I wasn't the monster that I am.

The bed was comfy although they haven't heard of this invention called Fabric Softener as I could've sanded the walls with the sheets/towels.

Young kids stomping around all day/night right above the office(next to my room) and they did nothing about it.

The pool was a tiny and filthy mess. Looking like it hadn't been cleaned in years. The dumpster was pretty much in plain sight/smell of the entire hotel........

Here's what REALLY ticked me off. Although I paid in full for 2 nights via Expedia($331 incl tax) they put a pending charge on my credit card for $233 that still has yet to release(7 days already) Expedia and I both called them to inquire and they denied ever having charged my card. Mess with my $$$ and you're guaranteed to tick me off.

Room Tip: Skip this hotel.....
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Clinton1976
Burbank, California, United States
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I made my reservation months in advance to find that it was not booked when we arrived. In order to accomodate my stay my family needed to move to another room on the last day. When I asked for a discount for the inconvenience I was told that they often ask their guests to move rooms during their stay which I thought was ridiculous. The room itself was pretty sad, "you get what you pay for". The parking was terrible unless you drive a smart car and even still they ask you to park up the hill and around the corner if their 10 or so parking spaces are filled. I lucked out on the first day to park at the hotel to find my car had been dripped on by something that didn't come off too easily. They offer free WiFi, but you need a user name and password for each device (ie Nook, phone and laptop) then I had to request a whole new set when we moved rooms which was pretty inconvenient. The phone did not work in the first room and I had to use my cell phone to call the front desk. My only plus what that it was right across the street from The Boardwalk. Although we had some type of domestic disturbance going on across the street on the first night.
Overal....Not so hot! I will not return.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family