“Order the bar burger!”

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Cathcart
Transit: Metro station located less than 1 block away.
Description: The Hottest new restaurant in Santa Cruz is Hoffman's! With a spacious new wine bar, fabulous new menu and trendy new look Hoffman's is ready to show the Bay Area how great dining can be in Santa Cruz. Brunch and dinner are served 7 days a week at their downtown location with cuisine ranging from their famous Eggs Benedict to distinct tapas menu served during afternoon and dinner hours. Chef Jayson Holzworth displays culinary mastery in the kitchen and Sommelier/Beverage Director Marie Hoffman compliments the cuisine with a spectacular wine list! Live Jazz starts at 6:30 nightly! Make your reservations now and see what all the hype is about!
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Jazz band, bar burger $3 special and parking free after 8...who could ask for anything more? My cousin can, that's who..since she had to send two distasteful cocktails back. Lucky I had Dr. Pepper...

Reviewed 19 May 2014

We had a great lunch at this location. After walking up and down the main street in Santa Cruz se selected Hoffman's based on variety of menu and setting. The restaurant is lovely with large brightly colored paintings on the walls. The wait staff were very friendly and courteous.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Popped in here a week ago, was greeted promptly and sat down. BUT, the owner never really looked at me or acknowledged me at all and I was sitting at a table next to one she was cleaning. I waited ten minutes and never had a waiter ask me if I wanted a drink or anything! I was starving so instead of waiting I got up and left. I had eaten there two months ago, and the service was much better and the food is pretty good. Maybe Robert Irvine needs to re-visit them? :)

3  Thank Merc56
Reviewed 6 January 2014

Three of us went to Hoffman's on Thanksgiving Day of 2013 for their Thanksgiving turkey lunch/dinner special with all the trimmings. We got there at 1:00 in the afternoon and were seated promptly.

The meal special was priced at a flat $20.00 per person (plus sales tax). This sounded reasonable considering everything we were expecting to get for a meal like this.

WHAT A DISSAPOINTMENT! They did serve turkey and all the usual Thanksgiving meal items but everything was in small portions all put together on one average sized plate. And only 4 skinny string beans? Come on.

The food was fine and had nice tastes (especially the cranberries), but for $20.00, they could have easily doubled the portion sizes and still made a significant profit.

And where was the bread or dinner rolls with the meal special? I've never in my 57 years of life not had a Thanksgiving meal that didn't include bread or dinner rolls.

When we first sat down they gave us TWO (there were three of us) small sweet cookie-like scones so I guess they considered that the "bread with the meal". Sheesh!

Then came the final blow... after finishing our plates I asked the waitress what desert came with the special, pumpkin pie perhaps? She replied, "The special doesn't come with a desert but we have pumpkin pie at SEVEN DOLLARS A SLICE if you'd like one".

All three of us passed on desert and quickly left with me wondering how much they would have charged us for a dinner roll if I wanted one with our meal.

Hoffman's, you have to be kidding me. You serve a small portioned plate of Thanksgiving fare for $20.00 per person plus tax and can't even throw in a lousy inexpensive slice of pumpkin pie for desert and/or a dinner roll with the meal? Boo!

I do know where I AM going for Thanksgiving dinner next year... Mimi's Cafe restaurant.

The evening of Thanksgiving, my wife and I joined a few family members at Mimi's Cafe restaurant in the SF Bay Area for their Thanksgiving Dinner Special.

Mimi's offered the usual Thanksgiving items but was much better because:

1 - You could chose your own appetizer from 4 different offerings.
2 - You could choose turkey or ham for the meat or something for a vegetarian (I forget what it was).
3 - The table got lots of baskets of dinner rolls and warm butter to pass around.
4 - The plates were heaped with large portions of everything.
5 - You could choose between two different deserts, pumpkin pie and something else I forgot.
6 - The price was only $17.99 per person.

The Thanksgiving meal at Mimi's was just as good quality and taste wise as the one at Hoffman's but you certainly got "all the trimmings" with much bigger portions and offerings.

The service at Hoffman's was fine and the food was cooked well and did taste good but to charge $20.00 for a Thanksgiving special for so little food and not even include a desert or bread with the meal is cheap and shameful.

[end]

3  Thank ColumbiaPierce
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

We came here over a year ago and had awesome food for breakfast. Today we had the same food today and were really disappointed. The potatoes tasted weird. I am a potatoe lover and can eat almost any spud but these were just not good. The restaurant also had a almost wet dog smell. Probably won't be coming back.

1  Thank Julia P