“two words...A Mazing”

West Cliff Inn, a Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #7 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 27 February 2009

I've been to a lot of places around the United States, California espacially, but I have to say in all honesty that this place is the best that I've ever stayed. I was originally planning to take my girlfriend to the Santa Cruz area for valentines day and the plan was to stay at a really nice, romantic hotel. I had seen a few different places while searching the internet that caught my eye. Admittedly, I had tried to book a room at another close by hotel called the Seascape Resort or something of that nature, but was told that their rooms were all booked up for the weekend that I wanted. I had tried a few other hotels that night but got the same story, so I decided that the next morning I would try the West Cliff. When I first called I wa pleasntly surprised to find the man I talked to was bending over backwards to ensure that I chose their hotel/Bed & Breakfast to stay at that weekend. Moreover, when he told me the prices per night, I was shocked to learn that the room would costme less than half the price of my first choice hotel. So hearing this I decided to take one of their rooms for the weekend. When I got there I was not disappointed. The hotel sits uphill from the beach on the main part of Santa Cruz, and is literally across the street from the beach boardwalk and pier. Needless to say, the location was amazing. When we walked into the hotel, we were also surprised to see that the inside was every bit as beautiful as the outside. The entire hotel is comprised of 9 rooms, a dining room with a fireplace, and a lobby. The house itself is what looks to be an old victorian mansion, fixed up to keep its early 1900's charm. When we got to the room, it was everything and much much more than we could hope for. It had a flat screen TV with cable, queen size bed (which was the most comfortable bed i have ever stayed in while out of town), a fireplace, and view of the ocean and beach boardwalk. The decor of the room matched the style of the rest of the house too. Next we walked into the bathroom wich was completely jaw-dropping. It was completely made from marble and looked like something i would imagine Donald Trump wakes up to every morning. It had a Sauna/shower, and a large whirlpool jacuzzi, and came with two complementary robes. If you could imagine that joy and happiness were something tangable that you could drape over your body, that would be only half as comfortable as these robes. Of course, the service was exellent as well. All of the food is made in house at in a small kicchen next to the lobby, and is made fresh every day. In the morning there is a huge complementary breakfast buffet in the dining hall, or you can opt to have breakfast served, along with the morning paper, straight to your room for a romantic and private breakfast in bed. In the afternoon, they serve, also complimentary, evening hors d'ouvres and wine, which were exellent. For dinner, they dont serve it, but they can use their connections to book reservations at any restaurant in the nearby area, even last minute on Valentines Day, which i have to admit I am very impressed with. Not only do they go to extreme lenghts to provide their guests with all the free amenities that they possibly can, they are the most courteous, friendly hotle staff i have ever had the pleasure to meet. For the price, there is no possible way to get more for your money. Now everytime that i stay in Santa Cruz, this is the only place that I will stay. From start to finish, this hotel will surely provide an amazing experience, and I fully recommend it to absolutely everybody.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cali4nia505

Reviewed 7 January 2009

My wife and I spent a wonderful week at the West Cliff Inn in our favorite room on the top floor. We love the location, the service, the intimacy and found it easily a place that could be a home away from home. Since it was the holiday season, the decorations were classic and gracious.

The staff is welcoming and service oriented. They treated us every morning with a hot homemade breakfast. Our grandson especially loved the French toast with real maple syrup.

Whenever we had questions, the staff was most helpful.

The Inn is a restored Victorian mansion which has been updated to meet the needs of the most discerning travelers. Step out the door and you are on one of the nicest ocean ridge walks in the West.

We both look forward to our return.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Niijii
Reviewed 22 October 2008

We went to Santa Cruz in mid-October with our one-year old son and stayed at the West Cliff Inn. We were warmly greeted by the staff, who helped with luggage, accommodated our special refrigeration needs (milk) and were all-around helpful. The room was recently renovated and comfortable, though the gas fireplace is warm to the touch, even when we turned it off. I believe the pilot light is continuously on. The breakfast was bountiful and tasty. We enjoyed our two night stay so much we extended it another night. For us, this was better than a hotel since we could put the baby down to sleep at 7pm and relax with our dessert on the public balcony a mere 20 feet away, within range of our baby monitor- in a hotel, any public balcony would be much farther away and not viable.

The mid-week special made it a good deal, and the sparse crowds made for a relaxing time on the beach with the family.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 October 2008

My wife and I stayed at the West Cliff Inn for one night in September 2008. The Inn itself is gorgeous and sits high on a hill overlooking the beach area of Santa Cruz. After reading some of the reviews here, we requested room 3 and were glad that we did. It was a big beautiful room on the second floor with a large bay window overlooking the Santa Cruz wharf and beach, with the Boardwalk also in view. It had a plasma TV, gas fireplace and incredible bathroom with a huge two person jacuzzi bath. The location was perfect as it was only a short stroll to the wharf and boardwalk. While the price was a little steep ($250 for a Sunday night), we thought that room 3 was well worth it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank coolbreezeken
Reviewed 16 August 2008

Amazing! We go every year to Santa Cruz and this location by far has been the best. The rooms are large with views & clean. The entire B&B has been restored beautifully by the four sisters hotels. It has the woman's touch. The breakfast & afternoon wine is outstanding. You can't beat the location.... Just park your car and you can walk to the boardwalk & wharf. I stayed with my children and it was not a problem. The staff is friendly and very helpful. We are coming back next year!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2008

Great view from room, convenient location to the Boardwalk including the beach. Very friendly, yet professional, personnel. Room was nicely appointed. Enjoyed the afternoon wine/coffee/snacks. Greatly enjoyed the well prepared and thought out breakfast, changing daily to keep one wondering what the next morning might bring. We will stay again.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank travelersClovis_CA
Reviewed 25 June 2008

Just stayed at the West Cliff Inn and loved it. The location is spectacular - just a quick walk (like 5 minutes, if that) to the Boardwalk/Beach. We had perfect weather, which coming from the heat (San Jose area) made the short drive definitely worth it. The staff was wonderful and friendly. I loved the coastal decor (cool tones) and furnishings - so light and airy, which was perfect for their location. We had a wonderful time talking with other guests at tea time sitting in their front room with the soft ocean breeze coming through the windows. After that, we spent most of our time relaxing and enjoying our private balcony.
The breakfast was excellent and very filling - great variety. We loved the features of the room, such as the flat screen TV with DVD player, mp3 player, fireplace, and jetted bathtub. The bathroom and room were both clean, quiet, spacious, well-decorated, and romantic.
All in all - we can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple