“best meal we had on holiday”
Review of Assembly

Assembly
Ranked #63 of 377 Restaurants in Santa Cruz
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Super quality, relatively new downtown restaurant offering excellent food at decent prices, Hard to describe the type of food but its more of a European style than American
Well cooked food using fresh ingredients was beautifully presented by knowledgeable staff, the wine list was well chosen and we were able to taste before making our bottle choice and the home made bread was to die for

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stopped by a few months after this restaurant opened figuring they had worked the bugs out with wait times and service. I put my phone on the table with the timer running. After waiting 45 minutes for a table (we didn't have reservations), we waited another 30 minutes before the waiter came by and he asked if the timer was for him. Dud! We were given water and bread. It was another 45 minutes before our food was served. Some of the food was cold and we had to send it back. Food was decent, but atmosphere with deer antlers didn't match the menu. Will go back in a few more months to see if service improves. By the way this is family style seating and you maybe sitting with other parties.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A new gem in the downtown area, which was SO needed on Pacific Ave. If you care at all about the quality of ingredients, locally supported small scale farming, good prices and a lively/positive atmosphere...this place is a must. Can get really busy, so if you're looking for a quiet, intimate dinner, best to go early or avoid Thurs - Sat nights. Have been numerous times to sample the entire menu, and can honestly say I've yet to be disappointed. Staff seem to all enjoy working together and the owners always have a presence. Good people, good food....top notch.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We were all excited here in Santa Cruz when the owners of Penny Ice Creamery and Picnic Basket opened this new venture so expectations were high. I've only been once but I was a little disappointed. The hamburger was good but a little small and over cooked, the fries were ordinary and the acoustics with a full house made it to hard to hear my partner talking, the waiter had to shout as well. I may give it another chance because I want to see it succeed.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

With its casual atmosphere, reasonable prices, and basic fare, Assembly is a very good restaurant for lunch. Its soups, salads and sandwiches, particularly the Cubano press and burger, represent fresh and interesting interpretations of classics. The thrice-cooked fries are especially tasty. Dinner is more staid. While in keeping with what's available, the menu is somewhat limited and even a bit unadventurous. On a recent evening, it featured chicken, roast beef, and salmon, main dishes many of us can and do make at home. In contrast, the appetizers (e.g., pork belly and manila clams) and desserts (e.g., milk bread and lime tart) shine. The pastry chef is one of the best in town. I'm sure I'll end up back at Assembly for lunch or appetizers. I definitely would return for the dessert. However, for an elegant or innovative meal or a date, I'll go elsewhere.

2  Thank CatPorter