“A cut above the typical waterfront cafe.”

No photo provided
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Gilbert's, now called the Firefish Grill, is located on the municipal wharf on the Santa Cruz waterfront. We picked this place because it is cleaner and more inviting than most of the other wharf restaurants. It offers a great view of the beach, Santa Cruz Boardwalk, and the ocean beyond in a casual atmosphere. There is plenty of nearby paid parking on the wharf, although this tends to fill up by late morning, so you will want to arrive early for lunch. The menu consists of a wide variety of reasonably priced seafood entrees, salads, and sandwiches and there is also a full bar. My companion and I both had fish and chips, which we really enjoyed. Service was wonderful. Our young waitress was very friendly, helpful, and efficient--one of those rare people who act like they really like their job.

Reviewed 25 September 2011

As we strolled along the wharf knowing for sure lunch was going to be here, I was unsure of where to eat because I did not do my research on Tripadvisor prior to leaving. We browsed the menus on the windows/walls and came across Gilberts, but decided to continue to see if anything else perked our interest along the wharf. Lo and behold, we came back to Gilberts and decided this was the place to eat. Our decision did not disappoint. We ordered the fish and chips, fried calamari, and fisherman's platter...yummy. Overload of seafood, but living in Minnesota, you can't get this kind of fresh seafood. It was delicious. Our waitress, was attentive, kind, and overall friendly. The food was excellent and the service was superb. We will be going again when we are in town.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

We visited Santa Cruz with our daughter at the end of July. After taking the obligatory stroll through the boardwalk we went out on the wharf in search of a place for lunch (my sister had recommended eating on the wharf). We walked up and down the length of the wharf looking at the options and found that most were either too crowded, too hot or simply too unappealing. On our first pass (going out) we almost stopped at the Firefish Grill but weren't sure so we continued on until the end. As it turned out, we did not find anything more appealing so we ended up back there afterall -- and were quite glad we did. The hostess was very friendly and seated us at a table next to the window with a fantastic view of the ocean. Our waitress was equally friendly and service overall was excellent. The food was good, with the salmon being the best. Our daughter had a cheeseburger which seemed to meet her standards. Given our experience, it is quite surprising to see all the negative reviews of the place. Perhaps we were lucky, or perhaps the others were unlucky, I don't know. However, having walked up and down the wharf if I had to go back again for lunch I would certainly consider going again to Gilberts.

Reviewed 17 August 2011

My husband and I visited the Santa Cruz wharf and discovered a new restaurant called "Woodies". It is just perfect for a fun place to eat with the family. It is fast pace and we enjoyed being able to watch them prepare our food. Everyone was very friendly and the service was great. Santa Cruz hosts " Woodies at the Wharf" each year, so we thought it was very cool that someone came up with a "Woodies" restaurant on the wharf!
We'll go again

1  Thank AngelaMott
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This was probably the most disappointing meal of our 10 day trip to Cali. We wanted to stop in Santa Cruz for lunch b/c it looked like a super cute beach town with a cool pier. We walked down the pier looking for places to eat and my boyfriend picked this one against my wishes. It looked like a Dennys and the food wasn't much better. We had the clam chowder and crab salad. The salad was $20 which was crazy expensive for the taste and size. The service also was less the desirable. We could have done without the whole experience altogether. I would never go back.