“A decent place to stay for a reasonable price”

Sunny Cove Motel Apartments
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Cruz
Sunny Cove Motel Apartments
Ranked #35 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Richmond, California
“A decent place to stay for a reasonable price”
Reviewed 11 August 2008

As with everything in life, it is a matter of priorities. The Sunny Cove Motel Apartments are older, connected apartments with a small kitchen. They are not fancy but are clean and well maintained. The bathroom was very small. I had to ask Jane for some silverware and bowls needed, which she provided. She is very helpful except when she has back pain, perfectly understandable, though at times inconvenient. I truly feel bad for her in that respect. I never met Bobby. We had mosquitoes, which my wife had to kill nightly. Not so many after the first night. None of the windows have screens on them except the bathroom. Jane could not help us as she is not the owner. That was really the only problem we encountered though. The beach is indeed a few minutes walk from the motel and is glorious. We watched kids surf and birds fly overhead, very nice. The pool is nice as well, goes to seven feet deep. The location is great, not far from any place in Santa Cruz you want to go. My wife and daughter were disappointed it was not more modern. It is indeed old and funky. For me, I don't care about that sort of thing. I want a clean place to sleep where everything works. We saved money by staying there. We also planned this vacation two weeks in advance so I feel lucky to have gotten in. Every apartment is different so I can't speak for most of the others. This one was nicer than the only other one available. It also had two tvs, which was convenient. We saw some of the Olympics. If you want a fancier, "nicer" place to stay, this is probably not the place for you. If you want a convenient, safe, reasonable place to stay, I would recommend the Sunny Cove. Again, it comes down to what is important to you.
I would also recommend the Henry Cowell State Park and The Mystery Spot, lots of fun!

• Liked — Price, location, beach nearby, manager
  • Disliked — the mosquitoes, my wife thought it was too funky for her
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Rapidfirerob

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Watsonville,ca
Reviewed 8 August 2008

We had to wait over an hour for the manager to return to check in. It was awful. Very old and drab.We won't make that mistake again. Mommy from Modesto

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mommeyfrommodesto
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 4 June 2008

This is a great, inexpensive little gem in Santa Cruz. It's close to everything, walking distance to restaurants, the beach, stores, etc. Capitola is a 5 minute drive and the the boardwalk is another 10 minutes away.
The motel itself is not super fancy. If you're looking for that, you can pay a lot more...and you WILL in Santa Cruz or Capitola. But if all you need is a clean, somewhat spacious room, try it out. As previously mentioned in the other review, the rooms have good size kithenettes that are well stocked. The motel has a great little (recently refurbished) pool and BBQ area. Best of all, the beach is practically at your doorstep...less than a 5 minute walk down the hill.
The manager, Jane, is a hoot. Very well informed about anything nearby you are looking for. Loves to chat and very helpful.
Sunny Cove gets my thumbs up.

• Liked — Cheap and convenient
  • Disliked — Hard to reach reservations at times
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Cruz
Pacific Inn Santa Cruz
#47 of 54 in Santa Cruz
Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area
Bella Notte - The Inn at East Cliff

Been to Sunny Cove Motel Apartments? Share your experiences!