“Best kept secret!”

Sunny Cove Motel Apartments
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Santa Cruz
Sunny Cove Motel Apartments
Ranked #36 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
“Best kept secret!”
Reviewed 6 May 2010

My boyfriend shared this special gem! My kids live it, too! Right next to the beach. Beach all day. Come back to swim in pool. BBQ poolside, Kitchenettes! Some of the best times ever at Sunny Cove! We'll be there all summer long!

2 Thank Lizroman55

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 24 February 2010

I stayed here in '07 with some friends and my boyfriend. I remembered it being a great price. After 3 years they have remodeled (I think the double beds are the same) and the price was the same! The lady running the place is a true Santa Cruz native with an excellent attitude and sense of humor. The rooms are clean and have totally remodeled kitchenettes and bathrooms. The mattresses are a little on the cheap side, but I didn't mind. The only complaint was that the window shades let in a lot of light in the early morning.
There is a small cove less than a quarter mile away that is never crowded like the beach area at the Boardwalk or a more popular beach. I love this place and will definitely go back for another visit!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NorCal314
San Francisco Bay Area, California
Reviewed 25 November 2008

Sunny Cove! The funky, friendly, fun, fantastic, who needs fancy in Santa Cruz? Motel :0)
In case your not from the 70's era, I mean funky in a good way, haha!
I haven't been on to give my reviews for my getaways as I should have so decided I would do that today. I've been back to stay at the Sunny Cove motel a dozen or more times since my last review. I can say this motel has only gotten better. They remodeled the whole place inside and out and it looks great. Only one room was still being finished when I last went.
I can't believe the bad reviews I've seen on here and its a shame when you see them for places you think are just great. For the people who say the front desk was locked, I can only say, have you tried making a reservation? That's what most people do when they are going to stay at a motel. Not sure why anyone had such problems with that anyway, I never have. But this is a small motel and the awesome innkeepers, a gal Jane and guy Bobby who run the Sunny Cove do have to leave sometime. I've personally never had any problem, if they weren't going to be there when we arrived, which was rare, they would call me and tell me they had left my key in the room and to just go in and make myself at home and we would do the paperwork later. No problem. All you have to do is let them know when your coming and they always have things ready for you. :)
I can't say enough about this place. I take my daughter and our little 4 legged friends, for just a little peaceful getaway. Its just so peaceful, tranquil, hard to explain, you just feel good there. You are yards from a cool beach cove and can smell the sea air and hear the waves from your room at night, and the seals barking sometimes if your listening :) The air here is just somehow better, just makes you feel good, and the peace and quiet are just what the doctor ordered. I've stayed at the Sunny Cove with just my husband, gone out for a nice stroll on the beach, then out to a nice dinner, such a relaxing time.. And also with the whole family and kids friends too.
The Sunny Cove is in such a spot I think that it gets the perfect climate. Its always nice there. Even if its foggy in other spots not far from the motel, its not at the motel.
The rooms are awesome. We've stayed in almost all of them I think. We've been back and stayed in one that had just been remodeled and it was so beautiful. The new tile floors are the best, and the rock design in the bathroom was so creative. Was told all the rocks used for the design were found locally at the beaches, nice touch. This room was huge and surely plenty big enough for my daughter and myself and our small dogs.
The rooms are always very clean. The beds are very comfortable and the kitchen was well equipped. You have a stove and microwave, fridge, full size, sink and everything you'd have in a kitchen.
You have to understand this is a great funky beach motel. This isn't the Hilton. And who would want to stay at a stuffy boring hotel while in Santa Cruz? If your going to enjoy Santa Cruz you don't want to be in a standard hotel that is indoors with your standard bed and night stand. The Sunny Cove is what Santa Cruz is, a beach town feel with a funky beach theme, great pictures on the wall, a place you can leave your door open and enjoy the ocean air (weather permitted) which is almost all the time. The mild weather is what makes Santa Cruz great. Especially where the Sunny Cove is located for some reason.
The innkeepers, Jane & Bobby, at the Sunny Cove are the most friendly, nice, caring, helpful people I've ever had the pleasure of staying with. Its almost like staying at a bed and breakfast, or with old friends, they just make sure you're comfortable, offer advice on where to go, where to eat, places to see, and give you directions, and Jane, the sweetheart actually made me follow her to where I was going so I wouldn't get lost. (That could have been one time the office was closed for a very short time) the innkeepers, Jane & Bobby go out of their way to help you have a great easy going, no stress time while staying in Santa Cruz.
Those who have not so pleasant reviews here may be people that shouldn't be visiting Santa Cruz, haha! The people here are layed back and low stress and just want you to be the same, at least while your here. If you're a hussle & bussle fast moving gotta rush everything kinda person then Santa Cruz period is not for you, its not the Sunny Cove Motels fault your uptight, haha! Sorry but that's just how it is.
We go to Santa Cruz for just that reason. Its a relaxing place, the people are friendly and not in a hurry to go nowhere. There is plenty to do here also. As I said their is a great little ocean cove just yards from the motel. We always walk down there, my daughter loves to play in the water and build sand castles and its clean and a great little place. There are many, many restaurants nearby, and shopping a mile either way, either downtown or in the little town I can't think of the name of now, but it is just down the road and has every restaurant, shopping mall, supermarket, anything you need.
Then there's the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk of course for entertainment. Its just down and around the bend from the motel also. The kids HAVE to go their unless its off season. And there's always the wharf, you can catch music group there sometimes, as well as at the Boardwalk in the summer every Friday night, all free, can't beat that. There are museums, a huge skate park, a rock climbing place, oh and the train that you can catch at the Boardwalk and go for a nice ride, and in the winter they decorate it with lights for Christmas and have a Christmas theme train ride, its great. Also during Christmas they have the boats at the nearby harbor that all decorate and parade around trying to out do each other and boy they have some great ones, that's a must see one Christmas time.
In the summer, you can BBQ at the pool at the Motel & Jane & Bobby may even join you. This motel is just a place that makes you feel like your on vacation or even just a weekend away with old friends. They really are great and The Sunny Cove Motel really is great. I wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else.
But may reservations, cause this place fills up every night. All year round. I make sure I call ahead for sure. So, that's another reason the couple bad reviews I've seen here seem a little off, if this wasn't a great motel why would they be full every night of the week all year round? I've had to change my plans cause they were already full a couple of times. How does a "bad" motel do that?
Sorry I just defend "my favorite great places to stay" :) I've done the same with my second best place to stay while in Clearlake when I see a bad review, because that place is also just way to great to have anything bad to say about it :)
I guess there is always going to be someone who is impossible to please. But for myself & anyone I've brought with us, We can't find a single thing bad to say about the Sunny Cove. Call ahead and stay at the best place in Santa Cruz :) and I know I'm not alone cause I notice everyone who stays here when I do call Jane & Bobby by their 1st names and seem to be return customers.
Well just had to come back and leave my 2 cents and catch up on leaving my reviews for the places I've been and been lagging on leaving my reviews for.
Stay at the Sunny Cove anytime of year, you won't be disappointed. & if your in Clearlake, the Arbor Inn is the place to be :) but you'll have to read the reviews for them on their site.
Happy traveling.
P..s forgot to say, The Sunny Cove is pet, people, couples, family with kids, singles, group of friends, pretty much anyone friendly motel :) Can't go wrong with that. Did I say affordable, for Santa Cruz? Haha!
Keep up the great work Sunny Cove, and Jane & Bobby always a pleasure to stay with you :) Till next time. Which may be soon, have to come for the Christmas. lights for sure. Keep number 12 open for me love the new floors :0) oh boy unless number 2 is done can't wait to see it, its my favorite and can't wait till the remodel is done. Oh, maybe I shouldn't give away my secrets, then my favorite rooms won't be available when I want to go, haha! Na, there isn't really a bad room there. I just have my favorites.
Ok I said enough, maybe too long? :)
Happy Getaways to all!

• Liked — everything. hard to pick just one. the new remodeled room was fabulous, so big, beautiful & so comfortable
  • Disliked — everything was great, no dislikes
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
8 Thank ready4agetaway
Sacramento
Reviewed 13 August 2008

On our last trip, we chose a place near the ocean, and somebody recommended the Sunny Cove. First off, let's start with manners. The office was locked; we had to ring a bell. A manager with all the warmth of a prison guard opened up and stood in the doorway with hands on hips and a sour look, as if irritated at our interruption. The office reeked of incense, which was a good thing, since it mostly covered up the urine smell. Otherwise, the place was clean enough, but the rooms were very small and cramped, with double beds instead of queens, and very very plain. Just not a very friendly or attractive place. Glad we didn't stay long, as there are far better places. Oh, one note: the pool is dinky, and I didn't see any outside activity areas. The whole place is crammed into a little hillside lot.

• Liked — Rooms were pretty cheap
  • Disliked — Rude managerial staff; cramped facilities
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled on business
5 Thank CAfarmboy
Richmond, California
Reviewed 11 August 2008

As with everything in life, it is a matter of priorities. The Sunny Cove Motel Apartments are older, connected apartments with a small kitchen. They are not fancy but are clean and well maintained. The bathroom was very small. I had to ask Jane for some silverware and bowls needed, which she provided. She is very helpful except when she has back pain, perfectly understandable, though at times inconvenient. I truly feel bad for her in that respect. I never met Bobby. We had mosquitoes, which my wife had to kill nightly. Not so many after the first night. None of the windows have screens on them except the bathroom. Jane could not help us as she is not the owner. That was really the only problem we encountered though. The beach is indeed a few minutes walk from the motel and is glorious. We watched kids surf and birds fly overhead, very nice. The pool is nice as well, goes to seven feet deep. The location is great, not far from any place in Santa Cruz you want to go. My wife and daughter were disappointed it was not more modern. It is indeed old and funky. For me, I don't care about that sort of thing. I want a clean place to sleep where everything works. We saved money by staying there. We also planned this vacation two weeks in advance so I feel lucky to have gotten in. Every apartment is different so I can't speak for most of the others. This one was nicer than the only other one available. It also had two tvs, which was convenient. We saw some of the Olympics. If you want a fancier, "nicer" place to stay, this is probably not the place for you. If you want a convenient, safe, reasonable place to stay, I would recommend the Sunny Cove. Again, it comes down to what is important to you.
I would also recommend the Henry Cowell State Park and The Mystery Spot, lots of fun!

• Liked — Price, location, beach nearby, manager
  • Disliked — the mosquitoes, my wife thought it was too funky for her
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Rapidfirerob
Watsonville,ca
Reviewed 8 August 2008

We had to wait over an hour for the manager to return to check in. It was awful. Very old and drab.We won't make that mistake again. Mommy from Modesto

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank mommeyfrommodesto
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 4 June 2008

This is a great, inexpensive little gem in Santa Cruz. It's close to everything, walking distance to restaurants, the beach, stores, etc. Capitola is a 5 minute drive and the the boardwalk is another 10 minutes away.
The motel itself is not super fancy. If you're looking for that, you can pay a lot more...and you WILL in Santa Cruz or Capitola. But if all you need is a clean, somewhat spacious room, try it out. As previously mentioned in the other review, the rooms have good size kithenettes that are well stocked. The motel has a great little (recently refurbished) pool and BBQ area. Best of all, the beach is practically at your doorstep...less than a 5 minute walk down the hill.
The manager, Jane, is a hoot. Very well informed about anything nearby you are looking for. Loves to chat and very helpful.
Sunny Cove gets my thumbs up.

• Liked — Cheap and convenient
  • Disliked — Hard to reach reservations at times
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
#15 of 54 in Santa Cruz
Best Western Plus Capitola By-The-Sea Inn & Suites
Ocean Echo Inn & Beach Cottages
Bella Notte - The Inn at East Cliff

Been to Sunny Cove Motel Apartments? Share your experiences!