“Location: good and bad!”

Pacific Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #49 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Yes, it is close to the Boardwalk, but the area around the hotel was not a pleasant sight. The hotel itself is charming and unique, but old and in need of some renovation. Our room looked out over the parking lot with the view of migrant housing next door. It was roomy, clean, but dark and in need of some new furnishings. The breakfast was delicious with homemade bread and the staff was very friendly.
I struggled between poor and average rating, but just too many problems to call it average. Also, I think the price was too high for the quality of the room. The night before, we stayed at a hotel in a large room with a harbor view for $40 less than this one.
Not the right place for us.

Room Tip: Rooms in the front probably have street noise. We were in Room 105. Maybe the opposite side is bette...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank CA2wheels
pacificinnsantacruz, Webmaster at Pacific Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Pacific Inn Santa Cruz for your recent stay in our area.

• Breakfast staff was informed of the nice things you said about them and their production.

I hope that the next time you visit our area, you will once again choose to stay at Pacific Inn Santa Cruz. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Hotel Manager.

Reviewed 30 May 2011

My husband and I had made reservations for June 11th and June 12th, 2011. We received our confirmation with no problem. It stated if a room was cancelled within 2 days of arrival, no fee would be charged. Unfortunately I did need to cancel the night of June 12th. Following all the outlined procedures I received an e-mail stating that it would not be possible to cancel that night. Because of that weekend being a busy time I was told I would need to cancel both of my reserved nights. That is not what my confirmed reservation stated, a complete change of policy was given. I tried to cancel on May 21, 2011. That would have given the hotel plenty of time to fill the space reserved. Apparently the printed word from "Booking.com" cannot be trusted.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
pacificinnsantacruz, Webmaster at Pacific Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Pacific Inn Santa Cruz for your recent stay in our area. I am very sorry for the problems which you encountered.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following step was taken:

• Registration staff was contacted and received extra training in seeing to it that reservation arrangements are the same whether made online, phone or in person and that they are honored.

I hope that the next time you stay in our area, you will once again choose to stay at Pacific Inn Santa Cruz. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed 6 May 2011

We booked many budget hotels via booking.com, and this one was definitely the best until now! The guy at the front desk was so nice! He gave us many good advices about things to do in Santa Cruz. The breakfast was very good...all the bread was home made and extremely fresh. The banana bread was delicious!
Rooms are clean, have king size beds, and free WiFi.
The hot tub and pool were great as well.
I would really recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a great hotel at a good location for a fair price!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2011

The first thing I can say about this hotel is Management cares! The grounds are beautifully kept, the gentleman at the front desk who manages the hotel seems to work 24/7, the hotel has responded to any complaints posted here and to my view has corrected them. The hotel building itself is charming but older and the grounds are beautifully maintained. The manager is continuously watching over everything going on. The rooms are compact, a bit dated but very serviceable. The rooms have microwaves, mini fridges, irons, ironing boards, blow dryers, coffee makers, etc. and are clean. The location is great a five minute walk to downtown Santa Cruz and a five minute walk to the beach. The immediate surrounding neighborhood is a little "sketchy" which is compensated by the managers vigilant oversight, but is not a place to walk alone after 11PM. Breakfast consists of hot and cold cereals, muffins, homemade breads, coffee and juice and is included.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank glennopp
Reviewed 25 February 2011

We stayed at this hotel to participate in the Santa Cruz 10K and Half Marathon. We couldn't beat the location... it was a short walk to the starting line (at the boardwalk). Since we checked in at around 5 or 6 PM, we were given a SMOKING ROOM dispite the fact that none of us are smokers and we were running a race the next day. Since the hotel was full, they had no other room to give us. The came into our room and sprayed some aweful aerosol spray to try to mask the scent of years of cigarette smoking in the room. No such luck... it reeked. We had horrible nights rest and we smelled like smoke while running. Very gross. Also, the bedspread smelled like it hadn't been washed (possibily ever). Also, the parking lot was full... no room for any more cars so people had to park on the street. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. THEY NEED TO RENOVATE... it's way to nice of a location to have such a dumpy hotel... don't believe the cool, funky, hip pictures on the net. They took pictures of this hotel at night for a reason. It's not pretty when the lights are on. *The one good thing I can say is that the breakfast was nice.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Pacific Inn Santa Cruz for your recent stay in our area. I am glad that you found the location to be a good one for you. I am glad also that you found the breakfast to be nice.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review, it is very much appreciated. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

1) Housekeeping staff received additional training concerning the level of cleanliness required of them as our employees.

2) Management was instructed to see to it that the pictures on the internet representing our establishment properly show what will be found offline.

3) Breakfast staff was notified of the positive report you gave of their work.

Reviewed 5 December 2010

You get what you pay for here. Rooms are dated but clean, bed was so comfy. Alan by the desk was helpful and friendly. Breakfast was brilliant. For the price I would definately recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed 29 October 2010

Great hotel and affordable prices! Very nice man at the front desk by the name of Alan, he helped us out and made sure we were well taken care of. Had a great time and the hotel was just an added bonus to our stay. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: October 2010