“Had a great stay at Pacific Inn of Santa Cruz”

Pacific Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #50 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Felton, California, United States
“Had a great stay at Pacific Inn of Santa Cruz”
Reviewed 21 April 2013

I could see from previous stays that there has been definite improvements made to the rooms. I also met a new manager. She was very helpful, informative and knew the area well. I would recommend this hotel to any traveler, especially those with children or pets. I really liked the enclosed pool and spa.

Room Tip: i stayed in the downstairs room and thoroughly enjoyed the extra privacy
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Steve B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
San Luis Obispo, California
Reviewed 10 March 2013

After growing up in the Bay Area, attending UCSC and living in Santa Cruz for 5 years, I had never actually stayed in a hotel/motel/inn in Santa Cruz. Looking for a quick weekend getaway, we drove up on a Saturday night after choosing this place based on the thumbnail pic in their profile (the majestic Spanish-style architecture). While a lovely hotel in its own right, the location does leave something to be desired. The service and pleasantries (or lack thereof) leaves quite a bit to be desired. This will be our main reason for looking elsewhere on our next trip - drop the attitude; you work at a beach-side hotel, not a graveyard shift at a 7-11. Those of us vacationing aren't anticipating a [--] at the counter.

Highlights included the pool/spa (though someone did walk up to the window and stare in at us...kinda weird), and the deluxe room with the whirlpool tub. Cleanliness was a 3 out of 5, though the things that counted (sheets, bed, toilet, sink) were clean. The walls/ windows, eh. Breakfast included cereal, packaged danishes/ bagels, and coffee. I found a pack of oatmeal and sort of felt like I hit the lottery. :-)

I liked the overall vibe of the place, and met some pretty nice folks down at the pool. Hostel-type travelers, and it did feel a bit like staying at a swanky hostel (rather than a slightly down-trodden hotel). Knowing what I already knew about SC, you're not going to get killed in the area, but we did have some guests commenting to us about the frequency of sirens. I recommend the Howard Johnson or Dream Inn if you're looking for the quaint SC experience. There are also some nice B&B's on West Cliff.

Does the trick for area locals; if you're making the trip from afar, however, you might want to price up a bit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura B
Redding
Reviewed 8 March 2013

When an establishment is lucky enough to have a loyal customer, that customer should be valued and treated with respect. Apparently this is not a policy of Pacific Inn in Santa Cruz.

For over a decade we have chosen them to stay with. We are a quiet family and we spend $3-$4000 annually with them. We leave the room clean and are respectful of them. Way back 'when' they charged us a $100 deposit and even dropped that as they got to know us.

Now, all of a sudden, we are being asked for a $300 deposit. Yes, improvements are being made - new TVs, etc., that they don't want damaged. But they KNOW us. New policies should be applied to new people who are 'unknowns' to them. Nothing wrong with that.
We are 'knowns' to them, however, and I believe that our dealings with them should be grandfathered in. If they choose to not deal with us in the same respectful manner, SOMEONE ELSE WILL appreciate our business!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
pacinn, General Manager at Pacific Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Dear Loyal Customer,

Please allow me to introduce myself, I am Philis Byrd, the new General Manager at Pacific Inn Santa Cruz.

I understand that you were not treated with the respect that was due you on your last visit. May I please apologize on behalf of the Inn for that.

I hope that you consider coming back to our hotel and rest assured we welcome you.

Please contact me personally at 831-425-3722 to discuss how we rebuild the bridge between us.

Philis Byrd
Napa, CA
Reviewed 3 February 2013

If you're okay with homeless, drug using, disheveled, young men being in the room next door, than this is the lodging for you! We were kept awake by loud voices in the hallway, shady characters hanging around the parking lot and a general sense of unease as we watched men in their late teens coupled up and paying cash with older men for a room. I was in this hotel with my teenage daughter, we had come to cheek out the UC, and once we got into the room, we didn't dare venture out to use the pool or hot tub. This is not a family place at all. At 6 AM, we bolted out of bed as screams emanated from the parking lot. A woman and man were screaming, swearing and beating on each other. Apparently, he still owed her money.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Bakersfield, California
Reviewed 7 January 2013

Having to travel with a pet for the first time it was hard to find a good place to stay in Santa Cruz. Thankful we found the Pacific Inn. Not only was the price right so was the inn! Clean and very friendly. The hot tub was a bonus. We'll be staying here very time we're in Santa Cruz!

Room Tip: Take your own pillows.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaliCouple101
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed 27 November 2012

I have been going to pacific Inn for many years and have felt safe. The rooms are clean and the staff are great and helpful. The price is good and not to expensive also it is not so far form the beach and boardwalk. I have never had any complaints about this Inn and will go back again .

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mljmljj
San Jose, California
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed here even after reading some scary reviews. We found the property acceptable for the price in Santa Cruz, we felt safe there and the management seemed engaged and eager to help. This is not the ritz, but after a day at the beach, the room was clean and the breakfast had the best homemade bread. Toasted, the bread was great. Juice, coffee, oatmeal and fruit also were free. I did not use the pool but I saw other guests using it. Santa Cruz has lots to do so we did not spend time hanging around the property. I would stay there again. If you are expecting a super modern hotel, this is not your place. If you want a nice room at a good price, this should work.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple