“Top notch service, great value.”

Pacific Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #50 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
San Francisco, California
“Top notch service, great value.”
Reviewed 29 April 2010

I was pleasantly surprised to discover the fact that the former management team has returned to the Pacific Inn. My recent experience was more in line with what I rememberd. The rooms are clean and well appointed. The reception is warm and the staff was responsive to my needs. The little touches, such as the complimentary freshly baked pastries each morning, are the kinds of things that will bring me back the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 27 April 2010

We were pleasantly surprised to find this motel to be such a deal! The location was convenient though not on the beach and the room was very clean and hospitable. We loved the pool and the very attentive staff. Well worth a look if you're visiting the area.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Alabama
Reviewed 8 April 2010

The rooms are very nice and clean / frontdesk clerk and other staff members are very friendly. It seems like i went as a guest and leave as a friend. I stayed at this hotel for the first time and now onwards i will stay at this place everytime i visit santacruz.Its really nice and neat from inside and outside even the swimming pool.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Santa Rosa CA
Reviewed 2 April 2010

We wanted to get away to santa cruz for my girlfriend's birthday. We choose this spot for its location, and have regretted it ever since. First thing we notice pulling in is this motels neighbours. Night and day soem very seedy people wander around the motels parking lot. I didnt feel very secure even parking there. Anyway, on to catastrophic train wreck that is Pacific Inn motel.

The first thing we checked when we got inside were the sheets, which is a good thing since they had BURN HOLES in them from cigarettes, even though we were in a non-smoking room. Digging deeper to the linens, we found popcorn kernals, I couldnt make this stuff up if I tried. GROSS. The room is definitley too small for two people. We literally had to let eachother pass if we wanted to move, well, anywhere. The TV barely gets reception. The bathroom seems too small for even 1 person to comfortably bathe and dry off. The bath towels were the size of hand towels. To top it all off, we get home to find they charged us 100$ on our credit card. When we called to inquire the reason, they said they "smelled smoke and found ash" in the room, so they decided to charge us 100$. Since neither of us smoke, we now get to go through the process of disputing the charge with our bank! Great way to come home from a vacation.

Needless to say, STAY FAR AWAY from this place if you want to have any semblance of a decent experience away from home.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank obliv
pacificinnsantacruz, webmaster at Pacific Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 25 November 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Hotel PURE Pacific Inn for your recent stay in our area.

Upon receipt of your review the following steps were taken:

1) Security received extra training as to their responsibility in seeing to it that our hotel is maintained in a way that keeps it and the surrounding area safe for our guests.

2) Housekeeping staff received extra training as to the level of cleanliness and maintenance we expect them to meet in maintaining our rooms and common areas.

3) Maintenance staff was instructed to check on the television reception being received in the rooms and to make sure that if was in proper working order.

4) Those in charge of billing received extra training in how to properly deal with extra charges which they feel should be made.

I hope that the next time you are in our area you will choose to stay at the Hotel PURE Pacific Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

grover beach
Reviewed 23 March 2010

Where do I start. My girlfriend and I wanted to see the board walk in Santa Cruz, so we went on line and found this wonderful hotel the Pure Pacific Inn and the hotel looked like a 4 star resort. The web site showed a lavish looking hotel with a price that was good true to be true. WRONG! how misleading can someone be. The front of the hotel when we pulled up (it was dark) seemed very nice so we pulled in kinda of a weird entrance to the front check in area. We walked into the lobby it was very small and cluttered and sorry to say smelled like Curry,no don't get me wrong i love curry when in the mood in a restaurant not a hotel lobby, I Guss the people that run the place must live at the hotel. The young couple running the place where of east indian descent and very nice I will say maybe some febreeze? well we checked in and waking past the pool was not like the web site. It was dark and the pool was nasty looking so a late night swim was out of the question. Now to the room. It was dark even with the lights on and smelled like dirty feet even after the pungent order of curry could not detract the smell of the room. I kept my socks on and I always travel (when on the road) with Lysol. when flying I stop at the store and by some just as a precaution. The bed was very old and leaned to one side. The heater did not work all that well and it was kinda of cold. To make a long story short this place is a dump. the next morning we went to check out breakfast? The lobby is no bigger then a closet, and you could not get more then 6 persons in their at the same time and besides that it was not much of a breakfast anyway so why even try to fight your way for what looked like nothing but coffee juice and left over crumbs. So we just went back to our dump of a room and packed what little we took out and got out. I called AAA the auto club of So Cal and was advised that this hotel was dropped this hotel by them last year and still have the AAA sign up as does Guesthouse has dropped them 2 years ago and still has guesthouse logo on the hotel sign and lobby,I also called them. Dirty,dishonest,and misleading with the web site. My friend told me about trip advisor and can't understand why this dump has good and great reviews.So I checked out other hotels we have stayed at on trip advisor and had to read between the lines. Putting customers in harms way with all of weird virus out there renting room like this. We will check put hotel first on trip advisor first....

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank welovethehoteltravel
pacificinnsantacruz, Webmaster at Pacific Inn Santa Cruz, responded to this review, 25 November 2010
Dear Guest,

Upon receipt of your review, the following steps were taken to deal with the situations which you called to our attention.

1) Maintenance staff received additional training as to the way in which the swimming pool is to be maintained. We want the pool to be clean and inviting to our guests at all hours. They were also told to check into the conditions of the furniture in the rooms and to make sure that the heaters and all other appliances are working properly.

2) Housekeeping staff has received extra training as to the level of cleanliness which we expect them to maintain in the upkeep of our rooms and areas. The lobby certainly is no place for clutter.

3) The staff in charge of the breakfast has received extra training in presenting a proper breakfast for our guests.

4)The matter of whether they are recommended by AAA is also being looked into.

I hope that the next time you are in our area you will choose to stay at the Hotel PURE Pacific Inn. I think you will be very pleased.

BostonsMommy
Reviewed 6 January 2010

Check In
1. I had previously called in and asked if it was possible to have a room NOT by the roadway
2. Waited 20 minutes for check in staff
3. When we were actually helped, the staff member was wearing a bathrobe
4. We were told that Priceline gave us “too good of a deal” and it was made crystal clear that the rate we received was not okay with the hotel owner
5. The first room was on the road way
6. We asked for a transfer of rooms
7. The second room was a smoking room and we requested non-smoking
8. We were transferred back to the first room
Hotel
1. The pool was over chlorinated and choked guests as they walked through the hotel
Room
2. We were unable to use the heater because when it turned on it filled the room with a chemical smell
3. The wall next to the heater had mold in the cracks that was covered with caulking- the mold was growing out of the caulking (See Exhibit A)
4. The hotel was “out” of towels- we had to dry off with hand towels and washcloths
5. The towels we did have were the texture of sandpaper
6. When amenities such as shampoo and conditioner were picked up off the sink, not only was it evident that they had already been used (plastic sanitary strip was removed and a significant amount of product had been removed) but mold and mildew was found growing underneath the bottles- obvious there had not been any sort of cleaning (See Exhibit B)
7. At 10:30 a.m. there were no cleaners/maids available yet- “they had not shown up to work yet”
8. Two of the four lights in our room would not turn on
9. Light actually broken in bathroom (See Exhibit C)
10. Mold all over the walls and tiles of bathroom (See Exhibits D, E and F)
11. Rusty showerhead (See Exhibit G)
12. Water came in lukewarm for 6 minutes and then went straight to cold
13. The metal tub stopper was broken and had two very sharp edges (See Exhibit H)
14. The blowdryer had been repaired with some sort of electrical tape instead of replaced (See Exhibit I)
15. The coffee maker had not been cleaned- there was water build up and previous coffee left in machine (See Exhibit J)
16. The carpets had burn marks in them (See Exhibit K)
17. The fire extinguisher in the room was covered in rust (See Exhibit L)

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BostonsMommy
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. These reviews are one of our biggest tools in making sure that our establishment is being maintained at the level which we have set for it.

Upon receipt of your review the following steps were taken:

1) The staff in charge of the reception desk received additional training in making our guests feel wanted and welcomed. There is no way in which it was proper for you to be made to feel uncomfortable because they felt you got too good a deal and I’m sorry that that happened.

2) The maintenance has received additional training in what is expected of them in maintaining the appliances in the rooms and the shower. They were made aware that they are to keep the shower and other fixtures in top condition. They were also made aware of the mold problem which will be eliminating.

3) The housekeeping staff also received additional training in meeting the level of cleanliness which we require of them.

I hope that the next time you are in our area you will once again choose to stay at the Hotel PURE Pacific Inn. I think you will be greatly pleased.

California
Reviewed 12 October 2009

DO NOT STAY HERE!!! No working jacuzzi or sauna, dirty pool, completely mis-managed, terrible customer service, removed our things from a room we paid for and then wanted US to leave!!!

We reserved 4 nights at this hotel to celebrate my birthday on the first night (Oct. 8th) as well as our engagement which happened the 3rd night. Both nights went horribly wrong due to the mis-management of the hotel! Consequently we switched hotels for the fourth night to the beautiful Dream Inn on the water!

At 3:30am on our first night at this hotel we were awoken by a domestic violence dispute including yelling, screaming, glass breaking, furniture (possibly persons) being thrown, walls shaking, etc. We called the police out of concern and it took about an hour for them to sort it out and it to be quiet enough to sleep again. The next morning we asked to switch rooms fearful of whoever was staying next door would either return or be angry that we called the police. Further, we were given a smoking room although we requested a non-smoking room. We both woke up stuffy and our PJs smelling of smoke.

Our new room was fine until our third night, when we returned about 11pm from a romantic dinner in Carmel-by-the-sea where we became engaged. At this point we found someone else in our room, our keys did not work and our stuff had been removed from the room. Although the hotel had our cell #, they failed to contact ask to simply ask about our plans or explain the problem which would have prevented lots of hassle on both parts. However, without contacting us, without our permission or even knowledge our things were removed and we came back late and exhausted to no hotel room! The hotel claimed that they thought we were checking out (and just decided to ditch all our belongings... that makes perfect sense) even though I confirmed with them that we were staying for 4 nights both the morning of our check-in as well as upon check-in on Thursday night 10/8/09 . We were unable to book all four nights on Expedia. So we booked Thurs, Fri and Sun nights with Expedia and sat through the hotel for $150. this was almost 3 times the amount of the room on Expedia for the other 3 nights, but, we wanted a place with a jacuzzi and that accepts pets! Both times that I spoke with the hotel, I was assured that we would remain in the same room ALL four nights!

Needless to say, we were upset when our belongings had been moved to the office and we were required to switch rooms for the second time. The manager informed us that we were "lucky to have a clean room" to which I replied that for $150 a night booked over a week in advance, we should not be inconvenienced by the shock of having our things removed without our permission or knowledge. Further, we should not be treated so rudely especially since we were spending over $300 at their establishment despite the jacuzzi AND the sauna NOT working... oh and there were NO homemade breads or anything close available for breakfast (as was indicated by another review).

The manager said she would speak with the owner in the morning about getting us a free room for the next night (basically just trying to get rid of me), but was unwilling to compensate us for the current night for which they completely messed up the reservation as they admitted from the get-go. However, when I called in the morning to remind them that we are staying another night and to keep us in the same room (to avoid another un-advised room switch) the daughter of the manager informed us that the manager canceled our reservation for that night and she would call the police if we were not out of the room by 11am (which was in 1 hour)!

Again, of course we were outraged that the hotel messed up, were not willing to make any compensations and yet was now kicking US out when we had a confirmed reservation and credit card on file... not the way to do business!

Fortunately, when I spoke to an Expedia supervisor about this matter they were gracious enough to set us up in the beautiful Dream Inn (which is right on the water) at a very reasonable price for our last night and we left the Pacific Inn completely unsatisfied. They claimed that they had tried to call us to say we can stay, but we got no such calls to the room or my cell.

Poor poor business quality and grounds, reactionary management and just ridiculous handling of THEIR mistake. They tried to blame us saying that we should have signed for each room each day, however they never presented anything for us to sign, not upon check-in or any other time except for when they had my partner sign my name when they switched our room... which is illegal. I wasn't aware that it was the guests' responsibility to remind hotels how to run their business!

Unbelievable!!!

My suggestion is stay away, Expedia to remove from their sight and allow them to keeping screwing themselves out of business!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank goldhox
Dear Guest,

I am so sorry that you had such an unpleasant time during your recent visit.

I am so appreciative that you took the time to give us a review. These reviews are one of the best tools that we have to make sure that the standards which we have set for our establishment are being maintained.

Upon receipt of your review the following actions were taken:

1) The reception staff received additional training in the way they are to treat our valued guests.

2) The housekeeping staff received additional training in meeting their responsibilities in meeting the level of cleanliness which we have set for them.

3) The maintenance staff received additional training in maintaining the Jacuzzi and pool as well as all appliances and fixtures in the guest rooms and other areas.

4) Those in charge of the breakfasts received additional training in their responsibility to provide a proper breakfast for our guests, as advertised on our website.

I hope that in spite of all that happened, you had an enjoyable birthday and I would like to extend my personal congratulations and best wishes to both you and your fiancée upon your engagement.