“Not bad for a cheap room!”
Review of Torch Lite Inn

Torch Lite Inn
Ranked #42 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Redwood City, California
“Not bad for a cheap room!”
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I booked a room mid-week to crash for the night. Considering we booked just a few days before our trip, we were happy to have a great rate. Overall, we were satisfied. The rooms are very clean, as are the linens. The staff were friendly. The only real negative, if there is one, is that the king bed we had was a bit too worn and the pillows were unforgiving. But all in all, we were happy with everything. It was a great place to crash for the night.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Turlock, California
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

We checked in at 3 and was pretty fast. The room was nice & clean. Its in a good location and close to the biardwalk. The pool was warm & open till 10 pm which the kids loved.
Definitely staying here & I'd recommend it too! !

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Booked here via Expedia for a one night stay. On the positive side, the hotel allowed me to check in early. (However, it seemed the place was empty.) Unfortunately, it went downhill from there. The wifi worked sporadically and the location was surprisingly noisy, due to the very thin walls. It's an older, dated property, and it shows.

The worst however was the series of long black hairs found in the room, and especially the bathroom. (See photo. For the record, I'm a male with short brown hair and I was travelling alone.) When I showed photos of these to reception, the most offered was, Sorry. Very disappointing. If I had not been rushed for time, I'd have gone elsewhere.

And while relatively inexpensive, TLI is not super cheap either. I'd have checked out the value chains in the area but I needed to book quickly.

Don't be lured in by the cheap rates - keep looking.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank vlblv

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 January 2014

The rooms are cheap and old, the carpet was torn, the heater (it's also AC in the summer) is VERY loud. It was hissing even when it's not working.
I must say that the room was clean.
The stuff both at the front desk and at the breakfast was VERY unfriendly.

It was the worst continental breakfast I ever had. One kind of cereal, only 0% milk, no hot water for the tea (you know some people have tea in the morning :) No muffins or pastry or something else. The hotel is big, but they only have three small tables in the breakfast area.
Besides all that it's right on the intersection of two streets, one of them is pretty busy in the morning.
Yes, it's very close to the Boardwalk, but there are plenty of other options.
And it's not THAT cheap...

Avoid it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kl_Katrina
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Luckily we only stayed for one night. The room was a good size and was clean with a fridge and a microwave. The WiFi only worked intermittently. There was insufficient space in the breakfast area for everyone to sit. The breakfast was of poor quality although the range of items offered was better than average - I left mine and went to Starbucks instead. I was told on check in that the pool was heated but it was cold. There was noise from rooms above the one in which we stayed (on the ground floor) and from those adjoining. The bed was large and comfortable.

I would not stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Modesto, California
Reviewed 28 October 2013

While my girlfriend and I were planning a weekend in Santa Cruz, I left it up to her to book the rooms for us. We decided to stay in two different hotels in order to be able to write more reviews.

Our first night was here at the Torch Lite. Booked through a different travel site, when we arrived, the front desk could not find our reservation although we had a confirmation number and the printed confirmation email with us. They proceeded to charge our credit card a second time. Maybe the girl was new, maybe it is just an underhanded scam. I will let you decide.

We walked back to our room where the main corridor did not lock very well as the door was sagging on its hinges not allowing the door to freely close. We shuddered with memories of a previous experience at a different hotel in Santa Cruz a few months back. We were given room 221. Our pictures will help describe the experience.

Upon first sight, it looked and smelled clean enough. The linens were in fact clean as I used an Ultra Violet inspection light to look them over. The room was decently large, with working heater and television. At a glance, it passed. Upon further inspection, I noticed the screen door was totally off the patio door, there was peeling paint, the bathroom door looks like someone had used a power sander on it, and the door showed signs of having numerous locks bolted on and changed over the years. Once again, the Santa Cruz bathrooms were so small that they had knee knocker doors near the toilet.

We slept well, and the heater kept us warm during the night. Despite the atmosphere, we made the best of it.

Advertised as having a continental breakfast for the morning, we decided to check it out. Bad idea. Located in a storage room used for old pool cleaning supplies, we were too disgusted to try the sad looking pastries or oatmeal. We did get ourselves a glass of orange juice each, but couldn't drink more than one sip as it was worse than Donald Duck orange juice.

Upon check out, they require you to return to the front desk, where a man who doesn't speak much English was not happy with us interrupting his Spanish language soap opera time. We check out and did not look back.

The Torch Lite is not a hotel that I will remember fondly, but it did work for a decent nights sleep for us.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor near the back of the hotel, park under your room and set your car alarm when y...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Rodeo, California, United States
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I rated this motel as average only because the bed was comfortable and got a good sleep. Although that could be that I was exhausted after tripping on the stairs leading up to my room. The top stair is about 2 inches higher than the rest. I tripped on it, my knees buckled and I went down hard on just about everything. Very sore and uncomfortable still.

One of the things noticed you'll see in the picture attached ...I didn't put anything in the drawers while there, but I always check drawers before I leave, just in case. When I opened it I saw all the garbage in there...crumbs, pills of some kind, empty wrappers, etc. Totally disgusting and unacceptable.

The room really wasn't as clean as I would have expected...hairs in the sink, etc. Also it appeared that the bathroom door had been punched in and it had a patch over it.

Didn't partake in their "breakfast". Went nearby to the Beach Street Café.

Although my family and I have gone here many times over the years, it just doesn't seem like the same place anymore and the management has an "I don't care" attitude" Checking this one off my list for good!

Room Tip: Get a room away from the major intersection...pretty noisy otherwise.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo