“Never again!”

Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Never again!”
Reviewed 7 July 2011

I ended up cancelling my reservation with this hotel because I was so appalled by the service during the planning process! I was supposed to go for a wedding and would be traveling a long distance. The rates given each time I called varied greatly despite there being a 'wedding group rate' and when I asked if there was any better rate I was curtly told no (even though the AAA rate ended up being cheaper). Apparently this hotel charges your credit card 30 days prior to your arrival, however this is not communicated in any way - not on their website, not by their front desk staff, not in email communications. Finally there is a 7 day cancellation policy which again is not communicated in any fashion. When I called to inquire as to why my card had been charged a month in advance, I was told that I should have read the contract...even though I was never given a contract and didn't sign anything. The staff person went on to tell me that it was my responsibility to know all the details of the group arrangement. Um - that is actually NOT my responsibility given that I am a guest and not the planner. The staff has been rude and uninterested in providing actual help. If the quality of the service is this terrible before I even arrive, I can't even begin to imagine what the hotel would be like. I will be searching for a new place to stay.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank lavidatravel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I've never stayed at any BW,ever. I've always thought BW as "generic". But our first stay @ this Santa Cruz BW was like i said, impressive! My wife & i thought we should stay more often @ BWs in the future.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank lovetahoe35
Fresno, Ca
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I booked a standard room not thinking that I was going to share the room with a friend. I asked to see if there was a double bed room. The manager said yes and upgraded a room for me for the same price. I thought that was very kind of them. The double bed room was very spacious, the bathroom was also very spacious. The bed was clean and very comfortable. The continental breakfast was abundant with many choices.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank tailypo
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Suite rooms are huge with very comfortable beds. They appear to have been two separate rooms with a common wall taken down to open up a huge living room/dining area. Our suite had 3 TVs and more cabinet space than we could ever use. The continental breakfast was very good and included sausage on the weekend. The parking is very tight for full size trucks. It is conveniently located 4 blocks from Highway 1 and a few blocks from the Santa Cruz beach boardwalk.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank lenard_poon
Grass Valley, California
Reviewed 15 February 2011

I read all the reviews before we booked this hotel. Most of them were just okay, but I took the chance anyway. The hotel was nicely renovated. Our room was fabulous. We stayed in the king deluxe suite with fireplace and jacuzzi tub. FABULOUS ROOM! Great staff and breakfast was delicious! We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank marleesgma
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 13 December 2010

The suites were very tastefully remodeled. Spacious, with really good beds, down comforters, and smaller soft pillows--not those huge, uncomfortable things most hotels have. The bathroom was large with a good shower/shower head. The coffee at the breakfast was very good quality. The high speed wifi is just that--very quick; good service. The only negative was our own fault because we slept with the window open, and that is some of the neighborhood noise. This is to be expected downtown, and again, we could have closed the window. I will stay here again, and I would recommend this for business or leisure travelers.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank frequenttraveler6084
San Jose, California
Reviewed 27 November 2010

I was so impressed by the by the room when we got there. It was clean, beds so comfortable, overall nice. Bad part was it was SO NOISY!!!! The room above us was extremely loud until 1 am. I would have called the front desk but the phone was not working. Finally went down there in my pajamas. The appantly contacted the room and it was quiet by 2am. Went to hot tub in the morning and it was freezing cold. Appantly they don't keep the heater going for the hot tub until someone asks.

Breakfast was very good. All in all, it was a good stay. Being with family was the best.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family