“don't bother”

Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Coarsegold, California, United States
“don't bother”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2013

Housekeeping sucks, at 4:10 pm they finally came to clean the room, while we were showering and getting ready for dinner. The same thing happened yesterday. Aside from that this place is home to the loudest toilet flush on the planet; wakes us up every night. Air Conditioning is right next to the bed so that it blows directly on you all night long. Breakfast cerial is labeled "Kellog's but it isn't. Ok, one nice thing; the room is pleasant.

Room Tip: go some where else
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
LGoldstein95060, Guest Experience Champion at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I apologize that your stay was less than perfect, and will take your comments and review with my entire team. If you would like to discuss further please contact me directly to discuss at any time at cindy.mcdonald@bprproperties.com

Guest Experience Champion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Looked at our first room and found our family of 6 could easily stay here. Did not think they would let us cancel our second room, but sure enough they did. Thanks Maryana A. and the Mgr. on duty. This is service you don't expect at any hotel. The beds were comfortable, the breakfast room larger than most and the area was quiet. We did not have any fears of walking from the hotel to the Boardwalk. We found it to be an enjoyable walk and helped tire the kids out. Parking was no problem and we were there in July. Spaces were small, but with all the other nice things about the place, why would you not stay here????

Room Tip: Not much traffic, so I would think most rooms were quiet. Ours sure were!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
LGoldstein95060, Guest Experience Champion at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! I'm so happy that you and your family were able to share a single room. Our staff is always glad to help and make sure that your vacation is everything you want it to be. Maryana is a star, and I'll make sure to pass your kind words along to her. She is going to be thrilled that you spelled her name correctly!

East Bay, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

My daughters and I have been taking a "girls only" trip to Santa Cruz every summer for the past 10 years and we have always stayed at the same hotel. This year our dates changed at the last minute and the Dream Inn was booked so we had to find somewhere new.

The Good:
During our 1 night stay we interacted with 3 different employees at the front desk and each of them was as professional and friendly as you would expect from a 5 Star Hotel.

The room was clean, the beds were comfy.

The Bad:

PARKING IS AWFUL. Not enough parking spaces and the ones they had were too small for my Ford Flex to even fit in and its a pretty small SUV. At Midnight we returned from the Boardwalk and we could not park. We ended up having to park on Ocean St up the road some and there was a group of homeless people harassing us and I did not feel safe walking from the car to the motel with my daughters.

I probably will not stay here again because the parking situation really stressed me out and I especially when traveling alone with my kids I prefer to pay for convenience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
LGoldstein95060, Guest Experience Champion at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review us! We take pride in providing the best service we possibly can, and I will definitely pass your compliments to our front desk staff at our next meeting. I'm sorry that our parking didn't meet your expectations. I know that as a parent our children's safety is of the utmost importance. We do have security which patrols our property at night, and if you give us a call once you've parked, we will be happy to have our security guard meet you at your car and escort you back to property if they are available to do so. We hope to see you again next time your travels bring you to the Santa Cruz area!

Camino
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Stayed 2 nights at an average of 242 a night for a room worth 75. I knew from the start that I would be disappointed. Only 1 person at check-in desk so had to wait 20 minutes (I was #3) and then they required photocopy of drivers license (I said I thought that was illegal and they said it was a county requirement) so I'l be interested in whether there is identity theft in the future. First room(#111) looked out at a wall 3 feet away. Got new room (#207) which had a few of the motel next door. To call the room a suite is a joke; they consider a 3 x 4' wall between the bed and the sofa a different room. Our daughter was staying with us and had the sofa bed. It wasn't made when we checked in so we called down to the desk and they said they don't make up the sofa beds. Sheets, blanket and pillow are in the closet. We paid for 3 but they only make beds for 2. The room was clean but nothing extra. Breakfast was typical BW except on morning 2 we had to wait 30+ minutes to get a table. In summary, the location has nothing to offer as it's a long way from everything, the parking is scary (you have to let passengers out before you pull into sub-compact size spaces) and the area had more than it's share of homeless which made strolling very uncomfortable. Pay the same price and get closer to the Boardwalk. The bed was comfortable but the bathtub was so high it was difficult to get into.

Room Tip: Get there early so you can change rooms if necessary.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your honest and detailed review of our property. I am very sorry that your stay was less than ideal. I can understand your discomfort at having your ID scanned, however county ordinances state that we must take all information from the IDs of each of our registered guests.

I do apologize that your sofa-bed was not made for you; however as a limited service hotel we do not have the ability to provide that service for each of our guests. On your next stay if you contact me while our housekeeping staff is still on duty, I will be happy to personally send someone to your room to make it for you. While our front desk staff would love to assist you, they are not always able to leave the desk for the time it would take to perform that task.

You will be pleased to know that we are in the process of renovating our lobby, and we will be adding several tables and chairs to the breakfast area to ensure that our guests don't have such a long wait time on our busiest mornings in the future.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss your stay further, and I will be happy to be of assistance to you.

Fresno, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2013

For the price -- especially during the peak of the summer season -- this can't be beat. We reserved a two-room suite for us and our two kids. When we arrived we were informed we were being upgraded to a three-room family suite, with two bedrooms, two baths, and a living/dining area with a sofa bed. We had three TVs for four people, plus a fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. It was just very comfortable for our family.

The room was spotlessly clean. We were in a very quiet area on the first floor. There was ample free parking, free WiFi that worked a little better than average compared to the "the usual" hotel WiFi (which is often very slow). At many hotels, the WiFi doesn't work in the evenings, when everyone is using it. We had no problem. It wasn't lightning fast, but it worked.

The staff were all very helpful, pleasant and efficient. The location was close enough that we could have walked to the boardwalk, but we chose to drive. The complimentary breakfast was fine -- there was something for everyone -- we tend to eat low carb and we found bacon, eggs and coffee -- there's nothing to complain about when you're getting a free breakfast. There were also plenty of carb-y offerings: cereal, muffins, homemade waffles, yogurt, fruit, juice, etc. I thought it was very nice for a free breakfast.

I'm very picky about beds, and I found the bed very comfortable. I often wake up from a night in a hotel, and my back is killing me. Not so with these beds. Usually I prefer a firm mattress -- I didn't notice, but I assume if I was comfortable, the mattress was firm.

There's a hot tub at this hotel but not a pool -- but, we have a pool at home, so the kids didn't mind living without a pool for one night. It didn't matter to us.

We don't have a single complaint with our stay. We give this place our highest recommendation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your glowing review! Our housekeeping staff works hard to ensure that every room is immaculate and it’s always nice to see them get recognized for their hard work. I’m so pleased that everything about your stay exceeded expectations, and I’ll make sure to pass your compliments to the staff at our next meeting. We hope to see you again next time you’re in the Santa Cruz area!

San Jose, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

The stay was fine..centrally located hotel. Free wifi, reasonably okay breakfast. Our room was located in front of the ice machine and every time someone came to get ice (midnight, 2 am, 3 am, 5.20am!) I woke up. The room was spacious with 2 queen and 1 pull out sofa bed. It also had a sitting area with a second TV which was useful since the kids wanted to watch something else. Overall, recommended.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us! I apologize that your sleep was interrupted. Next time you come in, please contact me in advance and I will personally ensure that you are in a nice quiet room, nowhere near the ice machines. I’m glad that everything else met your expectations, as a parent I know how nice it is to have a little separate space where the kids can enjoy their programs while mom and dad get some quiet time. We hope to see you again soon!

Coronado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Room was very nice. Bigger than expected and the bed was extremely comfortable. I even slept like a baby. I was very impressed on hotel staff because they were very professional and helpful during my reservation booking few weeks before my stay up to the day we checked in and checked out. I highly recommend this hotel for any out of towners.. the only down fall is the "Continental Breakfast" it is very small and you hardly get any good selections. I was expecting same breakfast as i got at the Santa Cruz All Suites Inn. This hotel needs to give a bigger variety of foods such as "self serve waffles", omletes, toast, bagels, muffins, fruit, eggs(boiled), yogurt, coffee, orange and apple juice.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends