“Good hotel in a beach town with no "big chains"”

BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn
Ranked #10 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Roseville,CA
“Good hotel in a beach town with no "big chains"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

I searched quite awhile for a good hotel in Santa Cruz that specifically had a suite with a room for the kids and a room for the adults. It's not always easy to find but we settled on the Best Western Plus All Suites Hotel. It's true, they do have all suites and we ended up with one that even had a door to separate the rooms, although I think we were in a handicapped suite, leaving much less counter space in the bathroom. The room was fine. It was clean and had two windows to see outside. The breakfast was average but the bacon wasn't good, I'd even call it terrible. I did notify the front desk and she was more than willing to notify management so that was good enough for me. The spa was big and hot, no complaints there after a long day at the beach. The staff were more than friendly so they do a good job of keeping their guests happy. They are re-modeling the entire hotel so it will be ready by summer and the good news was none of the re-modeling was loud or affecting us in any way. They took great pains to keep the re-modeling as out of sight as possible. We were about a 20-30 minute walk to the Boardwalk, depending on how many little ones you have! Overall we were happy with the hotel and once it's re-modeled, I'd bet it will earn a 4-star rating.

Room Tip: Room 224 was at the end of the hall, away from the atrium and had 1 neighbor. But it was next to th...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
BWAS95060, Guest Experience Champion at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such a detailed review of our property! I'm very pleased to know that the renovation did not impact your stay, and that our staff were all friendly and helpful to you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your sharing those details with the Tripadvisor community! We were advised that you weren't pleased with the bacon, and are looking into alternatives for the future. You're absolutely right about the walk to the beach, with several children and all of the accessories needed, it can be an ordeal. Thankfully Santa Cruz provides a trolley from Memorial Day to Labor Day which leaves from Downtown Santa Cruz (about a 5 minute walk, less than a half-mile) to the beach for only a quarter per person. Perhaps next time you're in town you'll be able to take advantage of the trolley. We hope to see you and your family again soon.

Guest Experience Champion

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Chicago, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We stayed here to visit a family member we hadn't seen for years. The person who checked us in was FABULOUS! She was so engaged, and professional. She was so great it just made an impact on us. We laughed because they have a "party" policy - we had never seen anything like it before. Guess it is that kind of town... our room was clean, bed was comfy (my rule #1 for a good rating!) and breakfast was better than any other BW I have stayed. Variety, fresh, and clean. Walk-able to the main shopping street and water.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

BWAS95060, Guest Experience Champion at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Wow, what a great review! Thanks so much for sharing your experience. I’m not sure who your check-in agent was, but that’s mostly because all of our front desk agents are FABULOUS! We really appreciate your review of our property. That party policy really throws people for a loop sometimes, but we have all of our guests sign it because we want to ensure everyone has a nice quiet night’s sleep. That’s what you booked a hotel room for after all. I’m thrilled to hear that every aspect of your stay was fantastic, and we hope to see you again soon!

Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Our family of 5 with 3 small kids loved this all suite hotel. We (sadly) only stayed in Santa Cruz for one night, but this was the best BW hotel and deal we got on our road trip from Seattle to Disneyland. Our 2nd floor room (with 2 q.beds and 1 sofa bed) was clean, the lobby was bright and inviting, and the breakfast with mini-waffles, eggs and more was very good. We would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2014
Thanks so much for your review! We love it when our guests bring their whole family to stay with us. We are definitely a family friendly property, with an Xbox Kinect in the lobby, and board games available at the front desk any time of day or night. I’m so glad to hear that you’ll stay with us again, please don’t hesitate to let me know if there is anything I can do to help you with future reservations.

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

Big comfy clean room. Enjoyed having filter coffee available in the room. Only a 10 minute walk to the beautiful downtown area, or a 15 minute walk to the beach. Handy underground parking and friendly staff.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
BWAS95060, Guest Experience Champion at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to leave a review! Sounds like you had a great experience with us. I agree that it's really nice to have coffee in your rooms. While we do have coffee and tea available 24 hours a day in our lobby, it's nice to wake up and have a hot cup before you even get out of your pajamas. Our central location, and friendly staff are some of our best features, and I appreciate your sharing them here.

Santa Cruz, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2014

I've stayed here 4 times over the past several years when visiting Santa Cruz, and have always had a good experience. The breakfast is better than most free hotel breakfasts, with a variety of offerings. Rooms are good-sized and clean, beds comfy, staff very courteous and helpful. It's very convenient to the freeway, downtown SC, and the beach.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Wow, what can I say? I'm always happy to hear when a guest decides to make us their home away from home in Santa Cruz. It's good to know that our breakfast is better than most, and I appreciate your sharing your feedback about that, our rooms, and our staff with the Tripadvisor community! Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help you with future stays!

United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

MaryAnna made this stay and not the hotel. Noise from the street and a broken themostat in the room made this stay not so much fun. Staff did what they could, so I don't fault them. Noise from the outside of the hotel (by police cars going elsewhere), again not the staff's fault (nor the hotel's for that matter) kept me up most of the night. The room in ALL other areas was nice. The hotel was nice and clean and the staff extremely helpful and nice.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Ron H
BWAS95060, Guest Experience Champion at BEST WESTERN PLUS All Suites Inn, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
I’m very sorry to hear that you didn’t have the best experience while you stayed with us. I appreciate your kind words about our staff, and understanding that some things (such as traffic noise) are beyond our control. That being said, if you wish to reach out to me personally before your next stay, I will do everything possible to put you in a quiet room on the opposite side of the property. If you wish to speak to me about this stay, or any future stays, please feel free to contact me directly at Cindy.McDonald@bprproperties.com or by phone at 831-458-9898 anytime. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review, and I hope to hear from you soon!

California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

We got a deal for this hotel on a 3rd party internet site and were pleasantly surprised by. The woman at the front desk was very friendly and helpful, giving us directions to bars/ restaurants and supplying us with toiletries (are overnight stay had not been planned). It was nice that we could walk to the main downtown area in only 10 minutes- made for a nice, easy date out. The room was clean and comfy. Our view was of an external wall a few feet away but we didn't care as we only spent one night there. The interior lobby was airy and bright and the breakfast had a lot of options- plus they had coffee and tea available 24/7. We didn't use the sofa sleeper so I can't speak to its comfort. I haven't stayed in many suites so I don't really know how this one compares but the "suite" part of room was a sofa sleeper on the other side of a short partition wall. If we'd had another person with us, there would have been no privacy between the two spaces. There was a small mini-fridge in the room and the jacuzzi tub was a plus. I definitely recommend this for a comfy, no-frills place that meets all the basic needs pleasantly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for leaving such a detailed review of our property! I’m so happy to hear that our front desk was able to get you everything you needed for an unexpected overnight stay. Many guests are surprised to hear that we so many things which someone might have forgotten, from toothbrushes and combs to individual men’s and women’s deodorants. It’s nice to know that even if you weren’t planning on staying overnight, you will have everything you need to start the next day feeling fresh and clean. Most of our suites do not have a closing door between the sleeping area and the living room area, but if you are in need of privacy next time you stay with us, just call a couple of days prior to arrival and request a privacy suite. While we cannot guarantee the closing door, it’s usually not a problem to accommodate these types of requests. I hope we see you again soon!