“Not an experience I'll be repeating. EVER!”

Oceana Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #45 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Sacramento, California
“Not an experience I'll be repeating. EVER!”
Reviewed 14 August 2013

I booked my hotel stay through expedia and although I entered that I wanted a room with two beds and that I was traveling with 3 kids, they charged me for the room, WAY TOO MUCH for this place and didn't charge me for the kids. When I got to the hotel there was an extra 20 dollar charge per kid for 2 out of the 3 kids. They proceeded to tell me that instead of booking through anyone to just call them next time and they would offer me a better deal. OK but then if they wanted to still give me a deal they could have waived the kids fee. They waived one ($20.) and charged $5. for early check in and another $50. deposit.

TACKY, TACKY, TACKY that they had a price list for their towels in the bathroom. I'm sure people do it but WHY? Those were the crappiest towels ever and you could get better ones anywhere else for less. Think about it Kleptos!

The room was decent. The bedding had holes all over the place, looked like cigarette burns. The water pressure was horrible and you can forget about using their internet connection, horrible too.

So they charged for everything, weren't the friendliest people on the planet and then I come back from the Boardwalk one night and there is NO parking but there is a utility truck taking up 6 spots! I went to the office and they told me they don't keep track of cars so they can't tell that guest to move their truck. They told me I could park on the street or the restaurant next door. According to my calculations... those options were completely unreasonable, especially when for a hotel like this (anywhere else considered a roach motel) charges over $100 dollars a night and extra for kids... they should at least guarantee parking.

I left the room in great condition.

Don't get me wrong, when I booked I knew I wasn't staying at a 5 star hotel but I wasn't expecting this either.

Would I stay here again?? THEY would have to pay me.

Room Tip: If you want a good room... go anywhere else.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank LUNA_NATIVA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Polish first
Riverbank
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I can't even give this room a one star,I can't believe I had to pay 250.00 a night for this bates flea bag..It was one of the lousiest rooms I have ever stayed in. Let's begin by the holes in the blankets, the odors of mold, the actual mold in the bathroom, the plug of blow dryer, it was split in half. the beds were so hard and full of sand, the water didn't drain out of the sinks, noisy noisy, the air conditioner didn't work, the tv's were so blurry we couldn't even watch them, scared to walk on the floors for catching something, you all think I'm kidding I'm not, what a rip off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

Very basic. The outside door to the hall did not work. We left for day & when we returned at about 8pm in evening room had not been made up. Called & manager said staff said "do not disturb" sign was on door. It was not. I asked for a discount of some kind & she refused saying that she could come up & make the room up. What was point at that time of night? Not happy with her response.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Pottsy1234
Sacramento
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Overall its a fly by night hotel. Just because we found a baggie of "white powder" on the bathroom floor. And some creepy old lady was staring us down at the pool. Oh, and the cleaning ladies dress like poor s***s. So basically I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank dotdotkylie
Chino Hills, California
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Just got the bill for an 11 night stay at this travelodge formerly "Oceana Inn". We have been staying here for the past 13 years once or twice a year. The hotel is okay and they provide adequit service.
After years of seeing the owners tack on one fee after another this last fee "linen service" plus "marketing fee" is the last straw! A hotel should just give you a room rate and be done with it! Russ thinks it is good policy to charge extra for what is normal room inclusive fees. It is only an extra $5.50 a day. Get real! You can scan your old custmers and new but you won't be scamming this anymore!
The total was $65.65 extra in his fees. That is a night stay!
Russ, what about an energy fee? People use your electricy, right?
Maybe charge for parking that could help you make ends meet.
Oh, the only reason your don't charge for 1/2 a muffin and coffee is that the state would have to consider your a food service provider.
Good bye Russ and your shenanigans

Room Tip: Ask what all of the charges represent before booking. parking fees, cleaning fees, linen fees, wifi...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank HBDiver
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 18 March 2013

We checked in, but after seeing the room we decided to not stay there. That place needs an in-depth cleaning! And, everything needs replacement. Yes, the curtains (eeww), the bedding, the blankets, the carpet, the furniture. The rooms and the bathrooms need to be repainted!! I felt like I should toss my jeans into the laundry basket after sitting on that bed for two minutes.

It might be the cheapest hotel in the area but, come on, people, you still have to try at least a little!

I recommend this hotel for a bunch of drug-dealing drunk party kids.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank tell-u-what-friend
Grecia, Costa Rica
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We chose this place for price, and more-or-less good reviews. Maybe it is good value for the money, but I would not recommend my friends staying here. It is on a busy street, so you hear cars in your room. Rooms are although spacious, a bit "tired": some renovation and fresher furniture would be nice. Also, the walls and ceiling seemed to be paper-thin: we could hear every move and word of our neighbours. But the worst thing for me was that the place seems to attract young crowd, who come to Santa Cruz for partying. We had several of them standing just in front of our room window, at midnight, talking really loud. We had to complain twice, before they finally stopped (this was after midnight already). The hotel serves breakfast in the lobby, but there are no tables or chairs to enjoy it, so you have to bring everything to your room. I mean, the place is not bad, but I would not recommend families with small children staying there. I had the worst night sleep here from the two week trip in CA...Plus, when we woke up in the morning, I saw at least two persons sleeping in their cars, parked in the hotel's parking lot!

Room Tip: Get the upstairs room, they have balconies, and they may be a bit quiter
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family