“Overpriced and underwhelming”

Ranked #46 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Santa Monica, California
“Overpriced and underwhelming”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

The room was extremely overpriced based on the quality. When we called two days before, we were told we could check in early without issue. The day of check in, it was a different story. Despite overpaying for the room, we were not allowed to check in an hour early, even though our room was ready, without paying an additional $25. The hallways are lined with dirty linens and towels all morning and afternoon as cleaning was being done. I would definitely not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

1 Thank Katy S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Based on the reviews I've read, I can't help but believe these were written when the place was under different management. The current owner is very friendly, our room was clean, and it was nice and quiet. It's very apparent that the new owner wants to do the right thing and get this place back on track. The television worked fine, and the ice machine was easy to get to and never failed to produce. They served coffee at the reception office in the morning. The wireless internet worked flawlessly, too. Overall, our stay was very pleasant. Thanks Seema!

Room Tip: Try to stay on the second floor facing the pool.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Midland, Texas, United States
Reviewed 28 May 2014

worst place I have ever stayed. took family on a trip to California. We stayed up and down the coast. I understand you get what you pay for BUT. Broken bed and lamp. bed was never fixed. dirty rooms and NO help from staff. When we called after returning home just to try and talk to someone no one ever called back. Stay Away...

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Scott K

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

Brentwood, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I went in with low expectations. Paid $113.00.Disgusting with even worse service. Bugs, plugged sink, wet floor. their solution was to put towels over disgusting mystery wet spot. Towels and advice "don't go barefoot in room". Owners words. Owner was obviously a broken man due to the the constant bull he had to deal with. No excuse he was incredibly rude the room was probably criminally dirty, If not it should be a crime. If room is offered free, my advice move on down the road

Room Tip: Stay away from this. Its worse than you think
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank john b
Little River, California
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I first chose this hotel for the price, worried why it was cheaper than most.
Well I was pleasantly surprised!! This is a wonderful hotel with nice staff and excellent location. So convenient to go downtown right on Soquel. Quiet rooms. Nice beds. I'd recommend this to friends and family, can't beat the price, too !! I'll come again when I can ! My new spot !

Room Tip: Upstairs inside the locked hallway, those rooms are nice !
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ajita_Krishna_Das
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I recently stayed here and found blood on the bathroom wall, blood on the curtains and worst of all, blood on my pillow!!!! We were refused and sort of compensation when brought to managments attention and the owner left town to avoid the situation! This place has the worst customer service ever! They did not even give me a replacement pillow for the bloody one! Do not stay here unless you enjoy being disgusted! Whats worse as we paid $180.00 for the night as it was a holiday weekend!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank pinkkirby
California
Reviewed 4 January 2014

The average rating I give this could go down if you are pickier than I am. I want good price, clean accommodations and quiet sleep. The room was fairly quiet, but there was an air conditioner in the next room that kicked on every hour for about 15 minutes all night long. That woke me again and again. The room smelled like mold which had been ineffectively cleaned, a kind of carpet cleaner/mold essence, no getting around that. They staff gave us extra blankets (we got the last two) it was a very cold night, that was nice. The desk staff were very friendly. Beds (2 queens) were clean and comfortable. TV was a small old school CRT type with few channels and bad reception. We made do with the food channel. "Continental Breakfast" is weak coffee, toast, OJ and two kinds of cereal, served on top of a small credenza, no seating.
The price was 69.00 but with tax went up to 82.00 which I thought was laughable, but we are in Santa Cruz, so even a shack would be pricier here. The motel is just across the river from all the fun stuff, a 5 minute drive, so proximity to everything you want to do here is very good.

Room Tip: Room 261 is right next to a "lounge area" and right above the ice machine and a very loud...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family