“close but cramped” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #44 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Redding, California, United States
“close but cramped”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Although it is within walking distance of the boardwalk, I would not walk it after dark. The staff was nice enough and the breakfast was more than expected with a waffle maker. But, the double beds were crammed into an already small room and it all was in need of a renovation.One bad thing though, when we left for the day, we clearly left the do not disturb sign out, and returned late at night to find the beds made and towels changed. A great service if we had asked for it, which we clearly did not. Front desk apologized and started the maids must not have seen our sign and they were just doing their job, good thing nothing was stolen! Overall clean, nice staff and good enough for the money we paid.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Geneva, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

It is true that you are super close to the Santa Cruz boardwalk, but besides that, there isnt much of anything else. No shops or restaurants nearby, and those that are closest aren't great. There was no breakfast, despite what others state (maybe they stayed on the east one), and the wifi is as mentioned, not great. The front desk staff was nice enough, and the tiny pool could satisfy those under 10. But for a motel, definitely overpriced.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank oddholio
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I always wanted to come to Santa Cruz, if only for 1 day, and since it's high season now, I found out that room rates are very high, even for small motels. That's how we ended up staying at this Super 8 Motel.
Room with queen size bed at the rate of 99$ + tax for 1 night. Way too much for what you get.
I remember Super 8 motels being nice but that was a long time ago, it seems now.
The man at reception - probably the inkeeper - was very kind and helpful.
The room was nothing to write home about; it's the kind of room you don't want to spend too much time in.
Everything in the room was dated, old, used, from bedsheets to TV to furniture.
Walls are as thin as paper.
Free wifi, yes, but the connection is not strong enough. I tried to skype home, but had to go some place else to get the job done.
The typical bad/cheap-taste-breakfast is provided in the morning.
But at least I've visited Santa Cruz now.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Santa Cruz hotels

CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I just returned from an overnight stay at the Super 8 West in Santa Cruz. We stayed July 6th in a 1-Bed room - Room 211. This is the second time we have stayed at this Super 8 and we LOVE it here! It is an easy block and a half walk to the Beach Boardwalk.

First, let me talk about the room. As I said, we had a 1-bed room with a table and 2 chairs. The room was clean and tidy. The bed is comfy and so are the pillows (I got an extra pillow as I like two pillows). The bathroom and vanity area were spotless as well. The A/C was nice and cold, but we were able to open the window in the morning and evening because there was a lovely cool breeze on Saturday.

They do have a pool and although we didn't swim, I did stick my feet in. It was warm and felt great!

They serve a continental breakfast, which includes waffles! When our 3 boys were young, those type of breakfasts saved us a lot of money! :) There was also cereal, toast, bagels, juice, yogurt and coffee/tea/hot cocoa. I think there might have even been some oatmeal packets.

The best thing about this hotel is THE STAFF. The manager and his staff are so courteous and helpful! They always went out of their way to help their customers, us included. I really can't say enough about these folks. My husband and I travel a lot and this place really stands out for us.

I have stayed at almost all of the hotels that are on Riverside Avenue and this Super 8 has the friendliest atmosphere and we will definitely be back again soon!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Citrus Heights, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

I blindly selected a hotel online based on the price and reviews. I was not disappointed. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful! The location was perfect! Close enough to the boardwalk to come and go multiple times, without feeling worn out from the walk. I would 100% stay there again!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family