“awful”

Comfort Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #19 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 18 July 2011

On our honeymoon from the UK,travelling up the coast, just needed a couple of nights stopover. Staff not very welcoming. downstairs room with no net curtain or frosting , so everyone could look in, really noisy all through the night, never felt safe, the b/fast staff were miserable and unhelpful and as our room was next to the kitchen , we awoke to the sound of the waffle machine bleeping! We also got a little tired of the staffs children always in the swimming pool and being a nuisance in reception and while having b/fast.
Couldn't wait to leave.

Room Tip: dont stay near the reception area
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank vickster1950

Reviewed 16 July 2011

The room was spacious and a good size bathroom area. Breakfast is included with the room. The selection includes, cereal, oatmeal, pastries, toast, bagels, make your own waffles, juices, tea, and coffee. Eating area provides numerous tables and is very clean.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We stayed here for four nights. It was a fast check in but they do make you pay a $100 deposit and I would recommend paying cash for it because you get it back right away instead of waiting up to two weeks for it to be put back on your credit card. The room was nice expect the shades didn't cover the whole windows so light would come through the window and the window in the back of the room didn't have a shade or frosted glass so we had to shove a breakfast tray and menu to block that window. The breakfast was good with make your own waffles but it was only carbs so after day three I was ready to pay for breakfast. It was a nice hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2011

I booked this last minute and then came here and read the terrible reviews. It was a non-refundable reservation and I'd stayed here two years ago without incident, so I went ahead with it. The entire stay exceeded expectations! The check-in was friendly and efficient. The room was spotless and very comfortable with plenty of towels, comfortable beds, a refrigerator and microwave and decent coffee. Free high-speed internet was easy to access and dependable. No issues with overcharging and the so-called $100 fee was not assessed to my account. Check-out was equally pleasant and everything was in proper order with the bill and my credit card. I'll definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank whiningyapper
Reviewed 12 June 2011

Rate very reasonable ($111, incl. tax, at AARP rate) for two queens. Very clean and quiet. Very accessible to parking lot. Just off State Rte. 17 and 1, so it's easy to get onto freeway heading north or south. Avoids commotion near boardwalk. Very good value. Rooms are quite spacious. Internet available free. Continental breakfast is okay but nothing special. Motel is half block from McDonald's, a mile from boardwalk.

Room Tip: senior aarp rate
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2011

Alright to start off with a little honesty, yes there is a $100 deposit that is put on your card, but refunded when you do check out. This is for incidentals, and some Choice Hotels do charge and extra (refundable) fee when you check in for that purpose. In fact I would recommend giving it in cash, so you can get it back upon check out rather than having to wait on your credit/debit card company to process the refund.

The front desk clerk had to personally check the room before I checked in to make sure that it was ready, as she wasn't entirely sure. Which delayed my check in process, but I'd rather have a clean and prepared room. Which it was very clean! There were no odors or noticeable stains. There were some holes in the wall, but they were pencil size and were probably from the remodeling when they moved fixtures around. The overall property is pretty clean.

The room minus that has a lot of good amenities. Tile floors, granite on the windowsill, and on the shower, fresh paint in the bathroom, newish bedroom furniture, modern looking accessories (lamps, mirrors, etc.). I got one of the remodeled rooms, so everything is fresh looking, I even have a nice flat screen TV (hard to come by for $60/night), and I also have a thermostat so I don't have to trouble with the dinky air unit.

There is one parking spot available per room that you have to sign for, if you have any additional cars they may let you park in the lot (space permitting), or you'll have to find a street spot. Make sure to not leave any valuables in the car if you do park on the street. There is CCTV within the hotel area though so it does give you a nice feeling of security. The doors have dead bolts and latches, and everything you enter in from the outside, not a hallway.

The other amenities are breakfast from 7-10 which isn't half bad for hotel breakfast. Of course you'll see the hard boiled eggs and make your own waffles, but this isn't a high class hotel so you shouldn't be expecting a huge meal. There is a Denny's across the street. Another noticeable amenity is the free internet. There is free wireless all about the property and you do get the password on your room key slip, and there is also modems in some of the units where you can hook up directly. The modem is slightly faster than the wireless, but the wireless is still a good option for those of us with mobile devices and laptops that want to hang out by the pool. Which brings up the other big amenity is the pool, I didn't swim in it but I did hang around it and it's fairly clean. They have chairs and umbrellas, a hot tub, and a regular sized hotel pool. The pool is only open from May until September, 10am to 10pm.

The noise and overall area gets quiet around the night hours, however the construction during the day will somewhat negate this. The beds aren't the most comfortable but they come with a comforter and an ample amount of pillows. Not too bad for $60/night.

I'm noticing a lot of these negative reviews were from people who made their reservations through 3rd party websites, or decided to change their reservation, etc. Not sure if there's any correlation, but it was just a thing I noticed. Bottom line though, this isn't a Four Seasons, but it's not a Motel 6 either.

Room Tip: Front two buildings have remodeled rooms!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 March 2011

On the last night of our trip we decided to find someplace that was just reasonable in Santa Cruz. We had seen this motel on Priceline and decided to check it out. There was kind of a strange vibe with the desk clerk, and we were told about the mandatory $100 room deposit. But he gave us a room away from the road where it would be quiet as we asked.

When we got into the room it was stinky and the bathroom wasn't very clean. Because we were feeling weird about the whole experience, we jumped onto tripadvisor.com and saw all the feedback about fast footwork with credit cards and nasty interchanges with the owner/manager. We decided to just ask for our money back and go elsewhere.

The desk clerk needed to go see the room, and he confirmed that there was a smell and the bathroom was not very clean. He offered us another room, but we declined. We just wanted to go away. He printed out a receipt that he said was showing that the card would be refunded, and assured me that the $100 would never show up. He basically said that nothing would be on the card.

I was checking my card balance after we got home, and there it was, $78.49 for Comfort Inn Santa Cruz! I looked at the receipt that I had kept. It was exactly like any receipt you would get from a motel/hotel where you HAD stayed showing the card transaction. It showed that my card HAD BEEN charged for the room! I sent email to the account on the receipt and it bounced. So I called. The desk clerk (a woman this time, we had been dealing with a man) told me she could not see any record of the transaction under my name, but would ask the manager to call me.

I'm amazed at the audacity, but have learned my lesson: I now will probably never stay anywhere that I haven't checked with tripadvisor.com first. My story is not over yet, but I'll get my card company to go after these scammers if I have to.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple