“They currently have 10 complaints filed against them at the Better Business Bureau.”

Comfort Inn Santa Cruz
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed 10 September 2010

They currently have 10 complaints filed against them at the Better Business Bureau. The manager (Chirag Mehta) is dishonest. She charged my bank card without any written or verbal authorization. When I checked out of the motel I requested a receipt, (to assure me there were no charges to my visa bank card) and they gave me some song and dance…about how long it would take. I said I would wait. During my 45 minute wait, 7 guests checked out. Chirag Mehta the manager tried to add additional charges to ALL 7 guests. I listened as each and every guest seemed “surprised” and unaware about the additional charges. Despite the fact I got my receipt showing a zero balance….TWO days later my VISA bank card was charged $20. My motel room was booked and PREPAID with an AMEX through Priceline. They are liars and cheats. I am still trying to get my $20 refunded.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank E_Hartwell
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn Santa Cruz

Reviewed 13 August 2010

Don,t stay at Comfort Inn in Santa Cruz if you can avoid. The staff there wants to give you the highest rated room, when you are a walk-in customer. They tell you that the this room is the only one left, but we made the experience that other customers arriving later could get a room. So the one we were proposed was not the last one. Its obvioius why the staff cheats you like this is: to sell the high/priced rooms. We argued with the staff about this but / as you could imagine / they didn,t had an open mind for our arguments. So / Hands off the Comfort Inn in Santa Cruz (the one just near the freeway not the one near the boardwalk)

The rooms are not on a standard that you would expect for the price. The rooms definitely need a shape/up. Even in the non/smoking rooms is e very special smell. You are glad to get out in the morning.

So go to another place. There are many other motels in Santa Cruz on Ocean Street and near the boardwalk. There you would at least profit of the short distance to the beach attractions and downtown.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Amicidarte
Reviewed 12 August 2010

I was checking hotels in the area of Santa Cruz for a tour group. When I contacted the hotel I told them I liked their price but I wanted to look around some more. They said that if I gave them my credit card number they could hold the price for me for a few days. Consequently I didn't choose that hotel. Much to my surprise on my bank statement there were pending charges for the rooms I never reserved. I called the manager and told him that I never asked for, received or signed a contract for those rooms. The manager started yelling and was extremely rude. I cannot believe Comfort Inn and Choice hotels allows someone of his low quality of character to manage one of their hotels. I will never recommend this hotel to any of my customers or fellow travel agents.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank travelguide1
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Booked 2 rooms, awful smell in each room, dingy on the outside, overpriced even for a sunday booking. And when I checked out 3 days later my credit card had been breached, and the card was never used anywhere else on the trip....

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank tothemoon123
Reviewed 23 June 2010

I booked two rooms at least 2 months in advance. Our room was disgusting--paint peeling, stains in the bathroom and dirty walls and floors. I didn't want to touch anything. It's an old motel with paper-thin walls. Our upstairs neighbors woke us up at 4am and we were never able to get back to sleep. The front desk called my elderly Mom at 6 am even though she hadn't ordered a wake up call. When I complained to the front desk, they were extremely rude. There are plenty of decent motels in Santa Cruz---avoid this one. I'm surprised it's part of the Comfort Inn chain.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2010

The hotel was nice enough considering the price but next time I will be staying elsewhere. The desk clerk repeatedly told two frustrated customers ahead of me to "shut up" and in front of our faces described us as "irate" customers to his manager. Back story: comfort inn demands a $100 deposit in addition to your payment. They were trying to charge the two customers in front of me for damaging two towels-- the girls had been to the beach and so the towels had some dirt on them, which, apparently, made them ruined. I became concerned about what would happen to my own deposit and requested to speak to the manager.
Best part--The manager refused to come out of his office and speak to us. He left the clerk who, by this time, was basically in tears, to deal with it.
I've stayed in hotels in this price range all over the world and this drama is unprecedented. There are so many competing hotels in the area-- right next door in fact, do yourself a favor and stay away from this one.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2010

Main advantage is the location near the Boardwalk, but this also means there is more street noise. I am surprised Comfort Inn accepted this hotel as part of their brand because it barely scrapes through - hardly any parking with a tiny pool squeezed next to the cars and the rooms were smaller than usual. The sheets weren't ironed and I wasn't completely confident they were clean. The manager was not a good communicator. Said she would take off $20 for a crib so we shouldn't bother seeking any further discount to which we were actually entitled (also this is the only Comfort Inn where the possibility of being charged for a crib has ever been raised with us). Overall however an okay price for an okay place in a good location.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family