“Ok Room / Hotel Staff - Don't waste your breath” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area

Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
las vegas
“Ok Room / Hotel Staff - Don't waste your breath”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2007

Booked directly from the hotel website and from the reviews on trip advisor. Arrived late after spending the day in San Francisco.
Was greeted by a front office attendent who apprently lacked the ability to smile or evoke any degree attempting to be welcoming.
She looked up my reservation, had me fill out the registration slip, took my CC and gave me the room cards. All without smiling or saying not a word. When I asked her if there any restaurants close by or a market..She directed me a map and point down the street.
The room was clean, however somewhat small, but for 1 nites stay it was fine. The high point was the bed..was a nice firm pillow top mattress, very comfortable. Sheets were fresh and bed appeared to have been changed. As a matter of practice when I enter a room I immediately tear down the bed to check. They offer a continental breakfast,(fruit/belguin waffle-toast/juice/coffee
-tea).
My issue is not with room but with the management, if they could
take a bit more interest in their customers and service, this would be a really nice place to spend a day or so. On a scale of
1-10 (10 being best) this would rate a 4.

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — office staff
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Hebrew first
Citrus Heights, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2007

I can't actually say we stayed in our room, because there was absolutely no place to park our car - not in the tiny lot, and not on any nearby street! Unless, of course, I thought it was a good idea to give my car keys to the desk clerk to move the car out of the driveway when necessary. And when I declined to give the desk clerk my keys, and thus had no choice but to decline to register in our room, Expedia decided that I STILL owed them $250 for the room for that night!

And now Expedia has sicced a collection agency on us, trying to collect the $250 which I refuse to pay, since Comfort Inn did not meet their part of the implied contract - they, and Expedia - both show no-extra-charge "outside parking" as a hotel feature.

Don't assume that Expedia is on your side - and don't go to the Comfort Inn, Beach-Boardwalk Area, Santa Cruz, CA expecting to have a parking place. I suppose if you're "thumbing" that is not going to be a problem. Otherwise, THUMBS DOWN on both Comfort Inn and Expedia!

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — NO PARKING!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank GLADSENIOR
Beautiful Northern California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2007

This hotel was a great place to stay for our family while my husband was at a conference in Capitola. The kids and I walked to the beach everyday and had fun on the Boardwalk. We were able to walk downtown and the surrounding area around the hotel was fine. Other reviewers said it was awful but we had no problems, everyone was super friendly and the hotel staff were great. We had awesome tacos at the many local taquerias in the area and overall I would probably stay here again as it was not too pricey considering this is a beach area in summer! Marini's on the boardwalk, the wharf and in the arcade area of the boardwalk has good coffee and yummy treats.

• Liked — close to beach and food for kids
  • Disliked — no terrace or patio area and the pool was SMALL
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Cali
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2007

LOVED this hotel. It's a short drive from the boardwalk..
The service was great. I loved that they had internet in the office so i could check my email. The service was great and the dude behind the counter (mark was his name...I think) was pretty friendly.

Stayed June 2007
Modesto, CA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2006

Avoid this place! I reserved a room a month in advance, and received a confirmation number. When I arrived at 4 pm, the manager explained that she had given my room away, because my credit card was refused. Even though the card worked fine, on the same day before and after she checked it, I understand that electronic glitches sometimes happen. What I do NOT understand is why they waited 30 days after confirming my reservation to check the card -- then were surprised that I was not at home when they called -- at checkin time! I was lucky to find a room in a fleabag far from the Boardwalk.

The manager told me that each Comfort Inn franchisee makes its own policies, so beware -- a confirmed reservation means NOTHING.

• Disliked — They canceled my reservation at the last minute.
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't trust a confirmed reservation.
  • Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
2 Thank LuckJohn
Carlsbad, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2006

This motel is not in a great area. (Although Santa Cruz may not have a great area!)

The parking lot was very small, we had to park on the street overnight after we got back from dinner. The dinner recommendation for the mexican restaurant downtownwas good, El Palomar I believe. The room was too small for the furniture. Very uncomfortable sofa bed. We will definitely not stay here again. My mistake for not checking the reviews ahead of time.

• Stayed April 2006
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Janet N
Florissant, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2006

I stayed in a suite at this hotel. First off, It was a very strange shape. The room with the pull out couch was in the front and would not allow for suitcases to be pulled through with the sleeper sofa pulled out. The in room hot tub thing was nice. The TVs were pretty old. Overall the room was not too bad. The breakfast spread was not appealing at all. I looked over the few pastries and old bananas and went elsewhere. Another note...when I mentioned the area I was staying in to my relatived their eyes bugged out because it is apparently a heavy drug area, although I did not see any.

5 Thank Shane W