“Descent room - perfect location”

Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Pittsburgh, PA
“Descent room - perfect location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

The location of this hotel is perfect if you plan to visit Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and the beach. It's only a couple of short blocks from the Boardwalk and only a block closer than the overpriced parking lots. As is typical with beach motels like this, parking is at a premium, so spaces are tiny and the hotel has a double-parking system of some type, but things work out. The pool is tiny, but the with ocean two blocks away, that seems unimportant. The room was slightly nicer than anticipated. It was roomy, well furnished, clean and in good condition. The bathroom was very clean and in good condition. My only complain with the room is a lack of electrical outlets. There are few at all, yet alone ones at a desktop level. My particular room had a bit of a "locker room" odor that I didn't bring to anyone's attention because I was only there for one night (and I knew that the hotel was full and didn't want it to smell like disinfectant either, so airing it out seemed to the logical choice). The breakfast in the lobby is mediocre with limited seating.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Bill L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Hebrew first
Portland, OR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Stayed here for 1 night in early August and found it to be quite nice and relatively decent value, considering the area, high season,and extreme close proximity to Boardwalk. The clerk called me about 4pm to ask when I would be arriving. Upon my arrival, he was very friendly and had actually reserved a parking spot for me, something that was unexpected and very much appreciated! The room itself was of course basic but very clean and nicely decorated for a 2-star hotel. The wi-fi worked great on all 3 of my devices. There were also 4 pillows on each bed (2 soft and 2 firm), which was a very nice surprise and something not found at even most 3 star hotels.

Probably the biggest benefit of this hotel is its close proximity to the Boardwalk. It is I believe the closest hotel, being just 1.5 short blocks to the main entrance. This was quite convenient as it allows pretty much anyone to walk there easily and save money and the hassle of parking in a lot or on the streets.

As to the complaints of people like the review below mine, you really need to do some comparisons before rating a place down for things like price, parking, etc. The fact is that there are NO cheap places in Santa Cruz in the summer, unless you are willing to stay in a "roach motel". Also, the closer you are the to the Boardwalk, of course you are going to pay a premium. Likewise, the parking situation is tight at all hotels in this area, so rating a place down for tight parking seems a bit ludicrous to me. Now yes, if you ignore all these mitigating factors, it can seem a bit crazy to pay $190 for a room in a 2-star hotel, but you cannot logically ignore these factors since they are what drives price in this industry. I did extensive research on hotels in this area and this was one of the least expensive ones with decent reviews.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank ASP-lover
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Paid an arm and a leg, but chose to stay here because of the many positive reviews and its close proximity to the boardwalk. It was ok, but I expected more for what I paid. It's a standard motel that's not awful but not great either.

The parking lot is cramped and tiny, and you'll have to valet your keys if you arrive when the lot is full. If you arrive after hours, then you'll have to park in the street. The "pool" is super tiny, and they should just clear it and create a few more parking spaces.

It's a sufficient motel but not worth the 4/5 rating and definitely not worth the price. Sorry TripAdvisor you were off the mark on this one.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Rob C
Lemoore, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is the second we stayed here in the past six months. We reserved two rooms and got them side by side, which was great. This hotel is straight up the street from the boardwalk about 1.5 blocks. The staff is extremely courteous, check-in is easy, adequate parking and the complimentary breakfast of waffles, eggs, sausage and assorted fruits and pastries worked great for us. Rooms aren't 5 star, but this isn't the Ritz Carlton, either. It may seem a little pricey, but look at the location and high season. We'll stay again.

Room Tip: All rooms seem similar. We stayed on the second floor the first time and the ground floor the secon...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Troutinator
Walldorf, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for night on our trip around the bay area and liked it. The gentleman behind the counter was friendly when we walked in and our room was fine. Good large bed and it was clean. Breakfast was included, it was pretty much the standard fare.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank terbang
Vacaville, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

The staff at the Comfort Inn are very rude, and lazy. In the room my kids were staying in the heater was putting out a horrible smell. I called the office and told them about it and they told me it was normal. I then asked for an extra blankets for my kids and got an attitude from them. I did not understand why getting an extra blanket would cause so much trouble. I am home now and when I went to check my bank account I noticed the hotel charged me an additional $30. So far every time I try to find out why I have this charge I get put on hold, and no one comes to the phone.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Jnbsnow
prince926, General Manager at Comfort Inn Beach/Boardwalk Area, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear guest,

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. If you turn on heater in summer it always smells for few minutes because it has not been used in summer for a long time. That's why we said it's normal and another thing about balnkets, as per your request we had provided two balnkets and if you wanted more you should have asked us and we would have gladly provided more.

Extra $30.00 charge was for the dirty stains on towels which you had used for cleaning spilled coffee.You should not use clean towels to wipe your mess, if you would have asked for rags we would've provided it to you.

kirti patel
Manager
Comfort Inn
831-471-9999
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

This place was walking distance to beach and boardwalk. Rooms are small, but clean. Place is older, but well kept. Pool is small, but clean. Good value for this place. Breakfast was coffee and Danish. Staff was all very friendly, evening when we arrived and morning to check out. I would stay again here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family